Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I was going by this directive ☝️here, but it looks like you're right according to citizens information

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have no-issue with eu citizens being here, why would give kudos to Irish people for generosity to fellow Europeans?

I believe in generosity to all people regardless of nationality.

You however, assume that non eu citizens here are making fictitious claims. You also assume that they do not work.

All the moaning about asylum seekers adding to the homeless crisis, when most of them are being housed in old closed hotels and office buildings.

All the moaning about unvetted immigrants, when there are thousands of unvetted immigrants from the EU living here.

And medical cards are given to a hell of a lot of people in this country that do not need them. If refugees or asylum seekers are not given medical cards, do you think there will be less people sleeping on the streets.........

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

It doesn't matter how you feel about illegal immigrants coming here or your childish one world schtick, it matters how we as country feel and we don't want illegal immigration. We share that sentiment with every other country in the world, we really can't claim we're special for it.

It's completely disingenuos to say asylum applicants don't take housing when all the evidence available points to an asylum seeker system that is completely broken. One that offers residency and amnesties regardless of the veracity of claims, up to 90% failure for some categories. One that has virtually no deportation regime and one that is continually flooded with applicants from safe countries.

I'm not sure what daft point you think you are making with regards to medical cards when all I did was point out another of the many significant differences between legal and illegal immigration.

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

We haven't discussed illegal immigration, that's a different matter all together.

If you want to discuss illegal immigration I'd suggest a different thread.

Just as an aside what does a 'safe country' mean exactly?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Is it true we have no deportation scheme? I would suspect we do but it's no good.

When a person is turned down are they still able to get a PPS number?

To be fair a lot of illegals are probably doing jobs the Irish no longer apply for so I'm assuming those turned down just wait for an amnesty

• Advertisement

Illegal immigration is not a different matter. If you are legally in a country, you have no need to claim asylum or claim refugee status.

Safe country:

https://asylumineurope.org/reports/country/republic-ireland/asylum-procedure/the-safe-country-concepts/safe-country-origin/

Claiming asylum is a legal right. So they are legally in the country. As are refugees. But I'm sure you know that.

Also, people can claim asylum from 'safe countries' and they should be dealt with fairly quickly.

We write to people and tell them they are to be deported and ask that they deport themselves. If they contest the deportation order in the courts as virtually all of them will do with free legal aid, 9 out of 10 of them will be quashed. The entire deportation process is a another bad joke at the tail end of a butchered scheme designed to reward practitioners and bad faith actors rather than a scheme that would benefit refugees where they need help most in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

I was browsing Youtube by newests uploads but you see a lot of these videos. And this specific video caught my attention and they're discussing Irelands benefits system and how easy it is to get when coming here. Nothing wrong if you've paid in but videos like this just make Ireland seem like an easy target.

https://youtu.be/0zR7HZBhsFA?t=1311

You don't claim asylum if you have no fear of removal to a place of persecution or if you come from certain countries. The right to claim asylum comes with a moral responsibility to engage with that process in good faith. Ripping up passports and lying about your origins or back story for example, is an example of bad faith.

You say these people have a legal right to be here but that's disputable. The application of the principle of non-refoulement means we agree not to remove someone to a place of persecution while their applications are assessed. That's manifestly not the same thing as making them legal residents. The fact we can deport people under the Dublin convention to other European states to have claims assessed is proof of this (although God knows, we can't even get that right).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is disingenuous and you know it. The dogs in the street know there is widespread abuse of the asylum claims, in order to get a foothold in the state. More reliable route than applying for a visa and being refused. Politicians are getting the heat on this now and their arses need to be held to the flame.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think we need a task force

Simon Harris confirmed to Aontú leader Peadar Tóibín that of 5,091 deportation orders signed since 2018, 781 have been "effected" - Irish Mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Is this woman Gloria, supposedly in Ireland, actually encouraging illegal immigration here?? Like blatantly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Last year 528 orders signed and 119 carried out, this year so far 448 signed and 22 carried out.

A spokesperson for the Dept of Justice said when questioned about people coming with no documents that they knew people flushed their passports down the toilet on the plane or else destroyed them before coming into contact with immigration officials.

Peadar Toibin was the person who got this information because he seems to be the only one asking any questions about this.

We are the weak link in the EU when it comes to immigration policy and yet those dummies running the country say everything is grand.

Yes Aontu are the only government party asking questions SF and Independents gone quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

That wasn't sponsored by any of our NGOs by any chance?!!

Not per month, but per week -dunno how many followers either have but Roderick may get busy acquiring more hotels pronto!

Is feidir linn!

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭_Puma_

This is at the end of an entirely unfit process, gamed by fradulent migrants, enacted by an incompatent government who are led by the nose by "white knight" NGOs whose financial interest it is to increase capacity in this system.

While this whole process crumbles the knock on effects in wider societies services are starting to become too obvious to ignore anymore. Europe is starting to pay attention and it's clear now the charade is going to come to an end. The question now is how long it will take and is this the sword this government will finally fall on.

The whole "If you question it your a racist" was the final sting in the tail and it fell flat on its face.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

@Furze99 I just put in recent within one week and Ireland and it popped up in search. The girl on the left is in Northern Ireland and the one on the right is in the Republic. I just found is a bit distastful that in this video Ireland is being promoted as a good country to emigrate to due to our benefits and that's not me saying that but they themselves. Can you imagine how many people will see this video? I don't want to distract from the thread but thought I'd share this.

@enricoh I wouldn't know but this and channels like this seem to put out lots of this videos.

Post edited by Scipri0 on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A person who has been served with a deportation order has no legal right to be in the country though. They don't have a PPS number, cannot work legally, cannot claim social welfare or any other benefits, can no longer apply for asylum, can no longer reside in a refugee centre, are now effectively stateless etc - it's difficult to see how they can 'scam the system' when they are no longer even in the system.

Have you proof that the Irish state stops paying welfare or other benefits when a deportation order is made? or proof they have ever been asked to leave direct provision for example?

After all, they can certainly head to the courts and challenge every decision endlessly, so I am suspicious that no NGO has raised this as another egregious breach of their rights.

They are not stateless by virtue of a deportation order.

• Advertisement

But tbf, some people may actually need to claim asylum from safe countries, that's why they do process their claims. And it's done quickly. They're not illegal immigrants though.

We can deport people under the Dublin convention to the country that they first claimed asylum, so to stop multiple applications.

There absolutely are illegal immigrants in the country, but it's not asylum seekers.

Was there not cases of some using others pps numbers for welfare payment, i.e deceased or people who moved out of Ireland

I'm sure a few work cash in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's hard to believe, but we operate "self deportation".

After the deportation order is made, we presume/hope that the person will leave themselves.

A very Irish solution to a problem.

The criminal sex offender Chico Makamda was served with a deportation order, but simply ignored it.

I presumed that after an Order is made, the Guards accompany the person to the airport, but obviously that is not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

They are not illegal immigrants. It is not illegal to claim asylum.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Somebody who travels from a safe country like Albania or Georgia, who tears up their travel documents, and then makes a false asylum claim, is an illegal immigrant.

They are breaking the law, see the Immigration Act 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

No they can challenge once and within 10 days I think. Otherwise deportation.

No benefits given to asylum seekers only subsistence /dp.

Only verified accepted refugees can work after 6 months here or claim benefits.

If the process was tightened and quickened up all those who are only here for money would be deported before that.

Those deemed questionable by the IPO are singled out and fasttracked for processing.

However even that can take as long as 9 months with the present backlogs.

And then we wonder, why there is protests from scared people over bus loads of men coming in

That article said he had to leave by 27th January 2022 and the article was dated 27th January 2022 and it said he was seen the week before?

So maybe he left? Unless there is a recent article with a recent photo of him?

I'm sure there are people who overstay their deportation, but that article doesn't prove anything.

And 9 thanks from posters who obvs didn't even read the article🙄

Post edited by suvigirl on

• Advertisement

As far as I am aware:

Deportations barely happen. Maybe two a week last I checked.

There's an allowance given to asylum seekers in dp and they can also claim exception needs payments for a variety of things

All asylum seekers can work after 6 months regardless of merit of claim. Refugees were always permitted to work on receiving status.

Fast tracking only applies to the claim for asylum. The legal circus can go on for years which nullifies this process.

Advertisement