Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It’s been mooted that it could be the new Cork City Library. The funding guaranteed during Covid would need to come through first. I think they had a letting in place with Peleton before the company nearly collapsed.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

That would be excellent! The library is running out of space as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Oops, got this mixed up with the Manhattan Bar development on Friars Walk, similar development that got planning very recently. Don't post before 8am kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I know you got mixed up, but please say it ain’t so that any school got away with that as a valid objection either? What is the actual risk, an imaginary pervert? Enoch Burke parachuting off a balcony? Cant we build for families rather than imaginary monsters?

I lived in an apartment overlooking a school playground, it was an absolute delight hearing kids play at break time. I’ve stayed in hotels overlooking schools in cities too. It is a very normal and desirable situation for housing and schools to be beside each other.

think how lovely it is for parents or grandparents to live near their children’s school, and be able to see them occasionally out a window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think it's a silly objection too and not against planning regulations AFAIK. Just looked it up to be sure and bloody hell the first objection in the appeal to ABP was to height and the second to overlooking the school. I questioned it one of the councillors about this before and they said they only had issues with the overlooking. Maddening. What's worse is the developers agreed to make the windows so high up you can't see out and put up full height screens so you can't see over the balconies. I take back anything that could be construed as in defence of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Would it be a good idea to put a library right next to a proposed Events Centre, though?

The quietest building in the city next-door to the loudest.

Actually, since the Events Centre is never getting built, I'd say let them drive on with the library idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Objecting to residential buildings overlooking a school playground is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard!

It's a city, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Objectors have a list of 10/15 thigs that are their go-to reasons, this is one of them that's used whenever applicable. I'm not aware of it ever working as a reason to prevent development

• Registered Users Posts: 16,994 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This is a good point to make.

People get insenced over objection that are never really seriously considered by the planners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

The eyesore has been created by the developer!

It’s all part of the planning game!!

Purchasers of premises that wish to develop and grow the square footage of the property by multiples generally allow the premises to descend into disrepair.

They sit on it for years and it becomes an eyesore in the community. The belief is that planners will eventually tolerate any planning submission to rid the neighbourhood of the eyesore.

The owners of Derelict sites are rarely hit with fines etc, hence developers benefit greatly by creating these eyesores!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

So feckin sick of this shyte. That apartment block at Dennehy's cross should be 20 stories high.

I've been to developing countries with Elysian style buildings as far as the eye can see. Was super jealous. Imagine being jealous of a third world country.

Then when you're flying back into Cork you're basically landing in a massive sprawling housing estate full of hobbit houses and the only affordable ones are covered in mould inside and out.

If they built a massive Ballymun style development in Cork I'd buy it in a heartbeat I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭macraignil

There was a study done by the Irish Society of Chartered Surveyors a few years back that clearly demonstrated that building costs go up substantially when buildings for residential use are built increasingly taller. The study found a low rise apartment block of less than 6stories was a lot cheaper per apartment than building a high rise with the extra structures required for support of the taller buildings and other factors making them much more expensive with the cost of a high rise apartment built in Dublin city centre as much as 619,000euros at the time of the study. A spokesman for the study is quoted in the article below as saying:

“However, it is important to reiterate, that contrary to popular belief, building costs increase rather than decrease when building higher and become much more pronounced after 15 storeys/50m. As such, high rise is not typically used for affordable solutions,”

While I am not against there being some high rise development in Cork it will make expensive apartments so only has a limited role in making housing more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

”Developing Countries” can do it in greenfield sites. In Ireland we tend to be building it on narrow streets. If you out too many high buildings on narrow streets, it gets very dark and not desirable places to live. It worked in the Eleysian because it was 4/5 lane roads on all sides. Dennehys cross is narrower so it wouldn’t be appropriate. Same for the site at the Harbour Commissioners where a tall building was planned, no darkness issue with the river all around

And before you reply replying me I’m a NIMBY or whatver, that’s international standards for urban planning I’m telling you about, not my opinion.

Then build luxury apartments with actual amenities for wealthy people to buy or companies to rent. They will still be bought from developers

We refuse to plan our roads around requirements, instead insisting that we usilite medieval designs.

The docks are complete brownfield but I could nearly guarantee that we'll stick to the footprints of existing buildings there

Why are you telling me to build apartments? Its not my business to be a property developer and I was just replying to a post linking the lack of high rise development all over Cork to high residential property prices when in fact high rise apartments are expensive so not really an answer to housing affordability. As I said I am not against some high rise developments but the report I referenced above clearly shows more limited numbers of floors on apartment developments usually means the apartments are built at a lower cost per unit. Maybe you would be better directing your post at someone in the construction business.

Ah cop on. I'm hardly saying you personally build

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

I don’t really know why we would want to build the absolute cheapest thing possible to build? Surely the ambition is build the most functional, make the best use of our space, support communities, allow families live within walking or cycling distance of a school, park, library, and other social facilities. Create living spaces where it is a pleasure to actually live. Preserve what’s left of our green belts and natural spaces outside cities.

That report has been repeated and I’ve seen various versions of the same info in other countries. It’s why you see bland ugly 5-over-ones or podium buildings sprawling everywhere in places where their planners put lowest cost per sqm above quality of life.

I'm not looking for the construction companies in Cork to build only the cheapest types of residential property possible and if you read my post you can see that I said I have no problem with some high rise development. I just thought it appropriate to point out that high rise apartment building and building for affordability are not the same thing. With the current short supply pushing housing prices out of reach of so many I think we need to look at promoting all types of new residential development and not just high rise apartments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

The objection on the basis of the three storey building being out of character for the area really falls down when there are plenty of three storey buildings within 200m of that site!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

The area is mostly three storey buildings!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

archive.is/P2Vad, public housing in Vienna , long article but worth the read

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Over the years it's changed a lot since you come into the city with new developments. Even just coming down summershill and you see all the new buildings that have sprang up over the years but christ the designs are nothing to be admired. Just big blocks with no style, good for offices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Thats really a worldwide problem though. We have absolutely failed to build anything anywhere in the world that looks nice in my lifetime, and I'm 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Scipri0

Indeed. I'm not too far behind age wise but while it's nice to see it's just dull square boxes and good for offices and that but ugly to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

The reason this isn’t being done is, as referenced, due to viability. They can’t build them for private sale, as Irish people prefer houses and houses can be built at a lower cost, and hence lower sales price. Apartments tend to need investor money and this means they then manage the block while renting it out. The only problem is that the rent they receive much hit a certain return on investment or they won’t do it. The rent that would be required is generally higher than market value so they’re unviable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Site works will commence with apartment construction in Q4 on Kennedy Quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Great news. I was in Oslo recently and their waterfront was developed and looked very similar to Cork. They even had a big red brick warehouse, similar to Odlums, incorporated into it. Great buzz around there with restaurants and cafes and lots of apartments. They then had ferries and tourist boats going to different destinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

So, I take it The Prism as well as the Customs House Tower in Cork will never be built? What's the reason? Money and lack of finances as well as rising interest rates? Or getting the necessary approvals? Supply chain issues? No skilled workers for the job?

Advertisement