Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Good win for Sligo.

Derry were awful. For all the money spent, there was no discernible game plan visible. Little movement off the ball and poor set-pieces.

Despite the best efforts of the referees, Rovers are still far and away the best team in the league.

Their only weak point being the mighty Drogs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Another diabolical performance from the officials tonight. It's a massive problem with no obvious solution. Diallo almost took Bolger's leg off and got away with a yellow and John Mahon was given a yellow for complaining about that decision. I've no idea what Mahon was given a second yellow for but the referee played on for 3 or 4 seconds and then stopped it when we were through 1 v 1 to send him off. Absolutely bizarre unless there was some altercation off the ball I missed.

And then the topper was the linesman awarding a throw to Derry right at the end when the ball was quite clearly headed out by their left back right in front of him and me. Can't even get the basics right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Didn’t see Mahons’ first yellow, but I don’t think the second was even a foul. Plus Sligo would probably have gone 2 up if the ref had let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I was actually wondering if the ref was going to try and get a head on one of the late Derry crosses

he was terrible

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Maybe cork lad is a friend of Jamie McGrath's and was seeking retribution. Would never have sympathy for towell after that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Giving an opportunity to send him off isn't a thing though. Though maybe for Grant and Rovers it is. 16 yellows and 5 red cards in two games he refereed Rovers this season. Either Rovers turn into monsters or he referees the game completely differently.

He didn't see it, the assistant told him and he can't have seen it either from 30 yards given the video behind the goal is unclear from 5 yards away. It is just a coming together.

Definitely though from that point on, he booked Rovers players for anything.

As Bradley said he then tried to control the game with cards so he got himself stuck having to escalate everything and with an ever worsening arrogant dismissive demeanour

Dreadful refereeing aside from the cards. I am sort of glad I was there to see it. No highlights package could do it justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't believe how bad we are this season. Rovers are doing their best to let us get a good lead in the league, but we can't take it.

We have a good squad of players, but are awful. We really needed to win tonight yet started with no forwards. Not sure what Higgins is thinking. Is he trying to be Pep?

I think he is holding this team back.

Don't understand why he went with that strikerless formation given how inept we've been defensively this season. Derry didn't threaten most of the night and your best chance was probably that shot from about 30m out which McNicholas parried wide.

Let us off the hook in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Walker made a miracle recovery once he realized Towell got a red, jumping up after lying down holding his head

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

A lot of what Higgins does leaves me scratching my head. And many Derry fans are the same.

• Advertisement

They didn't show this on the highlights but looking back on it now it's still a really poor tackle. Diallo got off with a yellow, then got away with a professional foul on Barlow a few minutes later and was immediately subbed by Higgins before he got a red. Just awful refereeing. Bolger limped off but hopefully no damage was done.

Looking at the replay of it now I thought it was funny how Mahon was given a yellow card for running over to Diallo and shouting at him for the awful challenge but he never actually put his hands on him. Cian Kavanagh from Derry actually ran 30 yards and ran into the referee just to get in Will Fitzgerald's face and push him in the chest but received no card. Just no consistency.

And the Mahon sending off. Clearly there were no afters on the ground looking back as they weren't near each other. Is the ref calling this a tactical foul by Mahon to set Barlow free? I don't know why it took until Barlow played Liivak through on goal for him to blow the whistle though.

The ref standard is shocking for sure.

As for Higgins, we heard how we were so lucky to get him, how he was in high demand etc. I know he turned around his first season when Devine had us heading for relegation, but we had a decent team and I think a lot of managers could have brought us up the table.

I haven't been convinced for a long time. He is incredibly Conservative. He only wants to win games 1 nil. He likes his team to pass for the sake of it, and it can be a hard watch at times. He seems to have no ideas as to how to break down a camped defence, which we often face at home, and as a result our home games are generally devoid of any entertainment.

Added to this we have now brought in a highly paid no2, but performances aren't improving. As I said, the chairman is pumping a lot of money into this team, we should be playing much better, much more attractive football.

The fact that we are now starting games with no forwards is worrying. Does he think he's Pep?

Hopefully he'll prove me wrong and win the league, but can't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Yep it's Bohs continuously dragged down a level by Shels who Bohs are winless against in 4 consecutive competitive games now

Not sure who it was as I came in in the middle of interview, but someone associated with Cork City on rte radio this morning saying they have identified 2 individuals who were chanting about Stephen Bradley's son, and they will be issued with lifetime bans.

Good to hear.

I can't wrap my head around the anger surrounding the Towell appeal failing. He attempted to kick a player in the face which is violent conduct. Overturning the red card would have been absurd.

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball

The Cork lad grabbing his face when Towells boot didn't make contact with him deserves a card for simulation as well, but unfortunately that's not possible (yet).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Seems to be a lot of intellectually challenged folk who can't see the issue with trying to kick someone in the face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Depending on who they are I feel a lifetime ban is a bit harsh. If they are in their 40s or 50s then fair enough but if they are young lads they have to be given some chance to redeem themselves?

Teenagers and twenty somethings can be thick as **** and often just follow a crowd as they do not see any real victim to their actions. A better punishment would be a season ban, write a letter of apology and show some kind of commitment to improving themselves like a Gaisce award or volunteering at a charity for example.

Is a lifetime ban even enforceable? I can buy 8 tickets to a match now and distribute them to whoever I feel like it. There is no camera security in the grounds like UK. If these guys wanted to goto a game I cannot see how they could be stopped and if they were caught what is the consequence? A trespass charge?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Lifetime ban realistically means a few years until it's forgotten about or in Cork maybe the next owner/bankruptcy/club. I know Bradley reported to the police but is there anything actually illegal about what they did?

• Advertisement

There's a creeping trend of players feigning injury, it needs to be clamped down on. Walker is a classic example, lies down holding his face until he realises Towell got a red and jumps up. Hoare wins the ball with both players having their feet same height but Cork man goes down like he's shot.

Grant has given 15 yellows and 5 reds to Rovers in 2 games he's reffed. Maybe in Fridays game it's time for rovers to play the game and just make a meal of every tackle

Most players feign injury. Its modern football.

Maybe that ref has a few quid on us to win the league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

You're right. Mist players do feign injury. It's really po*y to look at though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Anyone else find it strange the use of the word police by Bradley and subsequently carried by media outlets.

No, what’s your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

From looking into it, threatening, abusive or insulting behaviour in a public place is a crime which carries a maximum sentence of 3 months.

Obviously nobody here believes these guys are going to jail for this, but I don’t think it would be correct to say that what they did was completely legal either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Agree with the general point here, but a one season ban is insufficient as a deterrent IMO also.

The one season ban is lifted on condition that they have done x number of volunteer hours or achieved a bronze Gaisce award and written a letter of apology to S Bradley

Just seems a more positive solution than a lifetime ban

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Both individuals have received Lifetime Bans from Turners Cross.

The right decision I think.

A couple of seasons ban and Community Hours would have been better, but I'm not sure that was an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

In this article there's a quote about society being in a "dangerous place" if a disgusting chant is deemed acceptable. It's an entirely understandable sentiment.

In reality, society would be in a very dangerous place if it became acceptable to convict people for coming out with a cowardly, pathetic chant or insult in a given moment.

In these instances (and there've been a few over the years), you bar people for a number of seasons and remind them that their chances of being allowed back in would be improved by trying to make amends, as was suggested elsewhere, and by being less of a cùnt in the future.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I wasn’t suggesting otherwise, just to clarify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Rovers have a red card. Nothing against them but was hoping that would happen for the lols

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk can’t play against 10 men.

Back to back wins for City, just about hanging in there.

The injury list at Sligo Rovers is just stupid at this point. Two more gone in the first 30' tonight and we're playing with our 6th and 7th choice CBs (neither of whom are actual CBs of course). Is it bad luck or something else? I don't know.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sligo were really bad. What's going on there?

Another nothing game against Derry, but honestly if anyone was winning it was us. Last 20 minutes Derry took control of the game, but was shocked how poor they were before that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sean Grant wouldn't have given Finn the chance to make the tackle. He'd have sent him off for dissent in the first half for debating two frees given against him.

Thankfully he was safely off a pitch as 4th official where he can do less damage.

Dundalk pressed early but Rovers were fairly comfortable I thought.

Drogheda's worst performance of the season tonight.

It's hard to be critical of the ten outfield players as we have such a small squad.

The clown in goal cost us again and will likely be the reason if we don't stay up.

• Advertisement

We've been saying it all season.

I'm not sure how we are so high in the league, we are pants. Simply can't score goals. In fact , we have been struggling to create too.

I've said it before, Higgins is holding this team back. He is far too conservative as a manager. Slow, ponderous build up, no speed, no intensity. We badly need a forward in the transfer window if we are to have any hope of still being a challenge to Rovers come the end of the season.

As for Shels, was very impressed. Used to hate seeing them play us, as they were always very negative and parked the bus. But now they seem to have the defensive side sorted, and they have a real threat up front. They were very dangerous last night and should have scored (ignoring the penalty). They have the type of forwards we badly need!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭shanec1928

We only play against 3 teams in the league. The rest we don’t seem arsed to play against.

Having been at the match last night, the goal looks even worse now. Both Manny and Keeley had the striker covered.

I don't know how McCabe looks his team mates in the eye. Week after week, he costs us goals.

The Treaty keeper let in 7 last night. I guarantee you that he'd do better than the idiot that we have in goal.

Another win on the spin for City - we actually move up a place in the league !!!

Drogheda and Sligo are well and truly after being brought into the battle to avoid 9th !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bohs fans are gas bunch.

Good 3 points anyway on a fine day.

Another shiite 45min performance from us.

We are going backwards.

Something badly wrong behind the scenes at Derry.

We are terrible. It's not like this performance is a one off. We have been poor so often this season, a beating like this was coming.

The players are all over the place. They don't seem to know who's doing what. Morale looks terrible.

Even when we were picking up points we weren't playing overly well. Manager has serious questions to answer. There's been huge money pumped into the squad and management team, and this simply ain't good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Was surprised with how bad Derry were defensively tonight. Connolly looked very slow and old and Doherty had a horrid match against Carthy.Even though Maher made a mess of the first goal he prevented that match being a 5 or 6-1 win. We were excellent and dominated after the first 20 minutes. Thought Higgins's usually stunt of having Maher go down injured in the 15-20 minutes to bring the team in for a team talk backfired tonight. It killed their own momentum and allowed us to take control. Curtis, Murphy and McCormack are excellent talents. Conor Carthy although he didn't score was brilliant and hassled the Derry defence without stop. Lennon controlled the midfield and McGrath and Lewis were solid despite been our 3rd and 4th choice center backs. Really top stuff from us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

An absolute stroll in the park for us against Harps. Men against boys. Could have been double figures if we pushed it. Worst Harps side I've ever seen and one of the worst LOI sides I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

Game of 2 halves in Tolka there. 2 dreadful teams in the first half with Drogheda kind of stealing one towards HT.

In the 2nd half, Drogheda remained dreadful but with Boyd on at HT, we looked a whole different animal. We’d have a whole lot more points on the board if we had Boyd (or even a semi-competent backup striker) since week 1.

Id be a bit worried if I was a Drogheda fan, as with Cork on the turnaround, and Sligo probably likely to change manager soon, they may be heading towards the playoff in a year when the Premier Division team is projecting to be a big underdog against Galway or (more likely) Waterford. If there’s any available budget there in the summer window, they really need reinforcements. Do any of the loan lads from England go back in July or are they all for the full season? Those seem to be the best players there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement