Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

First day over 50. First time past 1000 in a month. Very nice!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

Squeezed 2% more output today than yesterday. So another PV today. Every little helps :)

Had the best curve I've seen in 10 months I'm live.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Sure Thing

What a beautiful day. Not a cloud all day long. Didn't beat Sundays figures but wow great kw to put into the ev.

At first glance I thought the CT clamp on your grid was the wrong way around :) but then I realise you prob have a car charging overnight right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

44.2 generated today... I wonder can I do 45..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 viewofthehill

Hi all,

Great to see that everyone is having a record breaking week. Long may it continue.

I have solar installed just shy of 10 months now and today after a number of close calls I finally broke my old record which was set the day after install. It not only broke it but was almost 8% higher (59.1kWh vs. 54.8kWh) coming in just below the 60kWh mark. So I had a look at the data to see if it was possible for it to cross the 60kWh mark. I was hoping that someone on here with more knowledge of solar might be able to explain what is happening here.

The installer will be out in the next day or two to look into an issue I have with the battery not starting since Saturday night. They are hoping a firmware install will resolve the issue. While they are out they are going to give the system a "medical" for want of a better word. Looking at the data I'm seeing some strange things that I can't make sense of so was hoping someone here may have more input before the installer is out.

I have two strings (4.56Kwp SSE and 3.8Kwp WSW) feeding into a 6Kw Sofar HYD6000-EP inverter. The graph below shows the two strings and how they behaved today on what was almost a perfect day for power, current and voltage. While the PV ouput from string 2 is almost a perfect curve String 1 has a totally different curve. There is some shading on string 1 later in the day as the sun moves behind the house but it is the earlier part of the day that interests me. Anyone any ideas of why this may be happening or is there something I should get the installer to look at while they are here? Or are the panels working as expected?

Thanks for any advice

No easy way to figure this out. Trial and error.

Plug out string 2 now and connect string 1 to the string 2 input. Leave the second string disconnected ideally and see what happens.

you could also just swap the strings to see if the behaviour swaps.

if you do this it will rule out issues with the inverter.

your installer is going to have to get out a multimeter and start testing all the panels individually on string 1 otherwise. This little bit of homework will help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Another new record today:

65.5kWh from a 10.4kWp system with a Solis 6kW inverter pointed south in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mhtc

Hi, missed your reply before - very interesting, and thanks for taking the time to do the calculations! As a fyi, the clipping stops at ~13.30, so 4 hrs a day...or 16 years payback :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I'd say they are working as expected. What do you think is wrong.

The sse starts earlier in the day, and has more panels on that string. (Why there is a higher voltage)

The max per string is about 3.6kw so that is why the current is lower. The inverter is "clipping", not much though.

It is also cooler in the morning so the panels will be performing better than the ones in the afternoon when it's warmer.

I don't think there's anything wrong at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭sligopaul

yep all positive here 44.2kwh from my 6.6kwp , SE facing in North West 802 kwh monthly production .

For those breaking the 1000kwh for the month what size systems are we looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Broke 1MWh there yesterday for the first time (1.001MWh to be exact) and I did it with 8.8Kwp - and that was on May30th, so 1 day to spare (today). Bulk of it is split E/W. So to break 1Mwh you would be looking at 8Kwp with a south facing aspect - ballpark, as it's dependent of course on how many stellar days you get in the month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

So many days over 55kwh but i cant get to 56 .

Over 1100 kwh generation for the month with today still to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Record equaling day yesterday at 44.7 kWh and I used 70.5% of it which is good. Had to leave the house and drop kids here and there so missed a few kWh going into the car. In work today so wont be able to use much today and the car is dangerously low at 28%....might be able to plug it in after 1pm though. Powering the car on pure sunshine is difficult enough if you are in and out etc. Trying not to import anything but I might have to today to give me a bit of comfort.

Must say the auld Zappi is a brilliant machine....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭DC999

I loveeee the engineering of the Zappi. It ‘pirouettes’ between excess and not drawing from the grid. That’s a word I’ve never written before. I’m constantly amazing to see if so quickly fine-tune the energy going into the car.

If I could I’d stare at the ESB meter watching the Zappi’s grace– but my family would disown me 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Like everybody it was a great day and has been a great week so far. Everything charged so exporting lots these days. Best month so far was last August so will probably match or slightly beat it this month and will be only the second time to top 1MWh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Still waiting to push through the 40kWh threshold here. Yesterday we managed 39.6kWh off our SW orientated 5.6kWp system tied in to a 5kw inverter in north Sligo It was just shy of my record of 39.7kwH on the 26th May. I think higher temps yesterday would have shaved off some of the performance vis a vis the 26th. My chimney is also causing incremental shading from 1 up to 4 panels post 6pm, so this restricting my evening potential a tad too.

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭paulbok

6.84kWh array, 6KW inverter, SSW facing, Roscommon.

Broke the daily record yesterday, 48kW, for the second time this month, and this month is also a record breaker, last May gave 830kW, just broke 900kW a while ago.

The curve never broke the 6kW threshold yesterday so clipping never became a factor, I'm guessing the temperature kept the panels from pumping 100% into it.

Post edited by paulbok on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I always empty out my battery into the car in the morning if the car is not going to be at the house. I just set a discharge at 50 or 60 amps for a couple of hours at 5am or whatever time suits. By the time its finished the sun is up charging the battery back up anyway. So at least some solar electricity goes into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 followmeup

Hi Folks, Just wondering if I should contact my installer. I've a 4.1kw system, 5 panels south facing, 5 Panels West facing and a 4kw Inverter. There's very little shading apart from maybe late afternoon evening from the chimney on the south facing panels. I've yet to break the 20kw mark in a day (yesterday was the closest with 19.85) which seems a tad disappointing in this weather. Also the max the system seems to output at any one time is about 2.2 or 2.3kw's, is that normal enough?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Murt2

Do you know what your inverter temperatures are? Was it roof space that stopped you installing them all south?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

The F it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭rameire

the individual clouds have now just rolled into one large blanket.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I went past 1000kWh for May on the 30th, should end up about 1080kWh for the month. New record for me.

4kWp East and 4kWp West. Zero shading this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 thatphil

Two record breaking days 15.2kwh on Monday and 15.5kwh yesterday. Don't think there is much more to squeeze out of the system. Full blue sky day yesterday.

2.4kWp south facing in Kildare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

just thinking, good weather to put on maintenance cycles on the ole dishwasher and washing machines... #soakitup!

heading for 900+kWh this month, unreal.

Post edited by jkforde on

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭micks_address

looks like a record low for the week today in north county dublin :) much duller day than the rest of the week so far.. i guess good reality check so we all don't get blinded by all the sun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭paulbok

That's not a bad idea at all, both are well due one here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

19.8 today, got to the 500 for the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Managed over 30 today - 610 for the month!

Switching electricity supplier to Flogas. Seems like they are paying very good FIT. 24 cent per kwh.

Anyone do any better?

Advertisement