Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Same with Darcy as in his final season he was more of a mentor to the squad.

Plus he had an epic beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Writing off Healy is premature.

Milne showed in SA and against Munster he has a bit to go. Boyle has had one game off the bench! miles off being ready!

If we start Healy and Porter on the bench we probably beat Munster in the semi final. Scrum was minced.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Hopefully this is read/writable. Stats from All.Rugby

Head to head, 7 Leinster players had more minutes than their opponents, 16 LAR players had more than theirs.

On average LAR players had 20% more gametime.

Leinster's players' international minutes were 3.8 times La Rochelle's.

LAR's players have 1.5 times more club minutes than Leinster (with 1 or 2 games left)

I honestly expected there to be a bigger gap and only 1 or 2 Leinster players with more gametime.

Grégory Alldritt the standout with 1975 minutes and counting, including 8 international matches.

Van der Flier the busiest Leinsterman with 1561, 10th overall of the players who appeared in the final with Ringrose and JOB just behind.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The minutes per player shouldn't really be a factor? Our squad is really deep and the international players are rightly rested. I guess injury would have a role in minutes played also. Keenan missed the beginning of the season and Henshaw missed a huge part too.

It's all moot now anyway. We were poor in the final except the 1st 30 minutes and were met be a very good Munster team in the urc semi.

I'm surprised that nobody has signed Max O' Reilly. I get that he's not great, but as a squad lad he might be useful?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's a fairly common thing with Ringrose, it's probably the weakest part of his game. It's more obvious when he's playing in green than blue. It's been called out on match threads before, so many times he won't pass to the winger outside him.

I don't know if it's just a lack of awareness of what's around him, tunnel-vision at going into contact as dominant as possible, or he doesn't trust himself to make the pass, but it's an issue.

All that said, the fact that no outside backs made a pass suggests that this year the problem may have been more systemic.

I don't necessarily think this is the case, and there's nothing really statistically to support it either. He's had some really high profile try assists this season for Leinster and Ireland, and his passing stats aren't disproportionately low or anything like that.

The final was an obvious outlier as he barely had the ball in the second half as Leinster were utterly starved of possession, but don't think this is some notable weakness in his game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,537 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There was the overlap in the final vs Saracens he butchered. The final attack vs La Rochelle, he cut inside into a double tackle with potential space outside him. His style is definitely to put the head down and burrow through a defense. It's one thing about Osbourne's game that's really promising, is his time on the ball and eye for a pass.

The stats do not suggest this.

In fact, if you look at the ECR website, you'll see he passes considerably more than any comparable 13 -

Ringrose - in 6 games in Europe this year passed the ball 47 times, 7 offloads, 7 breaks, scored 4 tries.

UJ Seuteni, directly opposite him in the final at 13, in 6 games this season passed only 14 times, 2 offloads, 12 defenders beaten, 5 clean breaks, 3 tries.

It's harder after that to get comparable players with minutes / games, but a selection of others: Antoine Frisch - 5 games, 21 passes, James Hume 3 games - 2 passes, Lukhanyo Am 5 games - 23 passes, Jonathan Danty 4 games - 8 passes, Pita Ahki 6 games - 33 passes, Dimitri Delibes 6 games - 10 passes.

The only 13 I could find who passed more than Ringrose was Henry Slade, who passed the ball 66 times in 7 games.

There are some high profile examples where maybe he should have passed, but there are also some noteworthy beautiful pass for try assists too against France this year, against Racing home and away in Europe, and against Leicester in Europe.

He carries more than he passes, but not disproportionately so, and certainly not by comparison to other 13s.

Not knocking him by any means, probably as you say, a perception thing. He's never struck me as a player who unlocks defenses with a pass, the way BOD did for example, or Am does these days. He's that gliding type of player who gets in a gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

BOD, by his own admission, wasn't a particularly good passer though. Got better at as his career progressed, but I've never considered him as a distributor.

What set him apart was his excellent short pop passing and quick hands to offload, which opened up defences. That was more about speed of thought than technique though. Once in a lifetime player, but he had his weaknesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leinster and Ulster are quiet thin for squad depth in the back 3.

That said Ulster have cleared out a lot of "pointless depth" so I don't think they will add more.

He just did 3 years in leinster and they know a rugby career won't work for him at Leinster. I believe they have 4 academy players in the back 3 so maybe there will be extra pressure on them to contribute.

Also I'm wondering if Frawley or Osbourne might get gametime at 15 since Leinster are a little light in back 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Definitely numerous examples of Ringrose’s lack of vision on left to right attacks where he’ll typically step back against the grain instead of utilising an overlap. Hard to remember them all now but Saracens, Wales last year in the build up to Aki’s try, France two years ago, Munster earlier this year all come to mind. Main flaw in a generally excellent player for me.

I think every player has flaws. Ringrose is brilliant despite his flaws.

Next season the tighthead options doesn't look to great. Ala'Alatoa is not top class. He's decent and that's about it. I think his 1st year was better than this year.

Furlong was a shadow of himself. I hope he can get back to his top form.

Clarkson did show some signs. He needs to improve.

Should Lasisi have been switched over from loose head? He had no appearances this season, so it's not looking great.

McGuire missed his entire year through injury. That's concerning as Charlie Ryan had an injury plagued academy and had to retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Of course every player has flaws. i dont think that needed to be stated....

tighthead is fine. Alaalatoa is more than good enough for the role he plays as back up to furlong and playing many of the lesser games

Wouldnt worry too much about furlong.. given good rest should hopefully be back firing full cylinders for WC

You cant compare Mcguire and CRyan. impossible to do so. so different as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

Great player but I’m sure every opposition defender expects him to step back in on the right side, and he nearly always does. Not sure if he doesn’t trust his pass off the left or he wants to have a ruck closer to the middle but it’s a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’m not sure it’s lack of vision, I just think his pass from left to right is poor. So he opts to use it less often than he would passing right to left. Though you’d imagine practice would improve it unless it’s a physical issue.

You know, it's really funny how he's managed to have the season he has had, score 8 tries, nominated for European Player of the Year etc when it turns out a few lads on Boards have his game solved.

If only all those professional defence coaches could have consulted with you lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think there's a strong element of this and I'm surprised it isn't discussed more at this point. It seriously restricts him and also, for a team that does their homework, makes him a lot easier to defend. If you think back to a lot of his tries stepping in, it's usually when the ball is going towards the right wing. I'm not sure if it's a lack of skillset or a hangover from not doing it in years gone by but he absolutely has a bad habit of checking inside when the ball is going from left to right.

Sometimes it works out and he beats the defender (both his tries against Ulster this season in the RDS) but often he's caught and it's a poor call. Moments like the non-pass against Saracens, the final phases against La Rochelle when he checked back in (La Rochelle had him under serious pressure too, in fairness) or, more blatantly, after Ngatai won the turnover, he was at scrum half and had six men outside before spinning back inside and trying to sneak up the middle which led to slow ball that was kicked away.

He's a super player but I find it surprising that a flaw in his game/decision making has been allowed persist for so long.

• Advertisement

I do wonder what the process of critical review is for players, do they have highlights of areas of weakness and give them specific training plans to address them. You look at McGrath, and wonder how he still struggles so much with passing? He's basically lost out on the starting Irish SH gig because of it. How does that persist in a top flight professional environment?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

One post contradicts the other.

I have multiple times dove into Healys involvements this season following your lazy derision showing that he's still capable of top level rugby with important involvements. You on the other hand have literally not once offered founded or substantial evidence to the contrary. All you ever say is "oh Healy is past it" or other synonyms. Back your stuff up or accept that your POV is incorrect.

Not only are you unwilling to do actual research into your point of view..... you're unwilling to research the most basic info that is the most readily available to you.... how old he is. He is 35 and will be 35 at the world cup where he will celebrate is birthday (hopefully with a win over Scotland)

And on the Healy point. So what he's 35? There's no magic light switch after a player turns 30 something that means they can't perform. They perform until the next cab off the rank starts to out perform them. That's how high performance sport works. Sometimes they're leapfrogged at 25 like Dave Kearney and sometimes they're leapfrogged at 37 like Rory best.

Honestly, you think we should jettison our second best loosehead whose still playing international and knock out rugby for a 21 year old with 47 minutes of senior rugby? Do you also think we should can Harry Byrne for Sam Prendergast? Or Rhys Ruddock for James Culhane?

Your lack of understanding about how development works is quite telling tbh. There is plenty of minutes to go around. Especially seeing as Healy will be gone to the world cup so will be missing until November so plenty of game time for Boyle to get.

The actual person you should be worrying about blocking Boyles development is Ed Byrne. In him we have a player who is not really up to top level rugby but is still in and around 3rd choice. He is the person that Boyle should be looking to get minutes over.

Ed Byrne despite missing significant chunks of the season with injury amassed almost as many minutes for Leinster (424) as "over the hill one foot in the grave grandad" Healy (452) and actually had more minutes than him at loosehead when you factor in that approx 200* of Healys Leinster minutes came at TIGHTHEAD.

So again I implore you..... just stop. At this point I think it's fair that you don't know what you're talking about. Not only is Healy one of the better loosehead props in Ireland right now... he's also one of the greatest ever Leinster players who deserves a lot more than the derision of "fans" like you

*I approximated Healys tighthead minutes as officially he wore the 3/18 jersey for 235 minutes but there was some rejigging of front rows at few times where he still scrummaged down at loosehead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Mod: You know well by now not to respond to a mod warning, FTD.

Any more and you’ll be Threadbanned. Frankly, that’s lenient.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

An explaination of the mod warning is the bare minimum to offer, pointing to where the offense is.

How else is everyone here to know what is acceptable or not?

Surely you should be working WITH the posters rather than against.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I wonder is it a physical thing from the shoulder injuries. I don’t believe it’s just that he can’t improve his passing on that side. They work too hard at these things for it not to improve. Unless there’s an impediment to it.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sydthebeat, you are also fully aware that questions about mod actions go to PM, and you don't respond on thread.

Final warning on this.

I'm just comparing the injury profiles! It's concerning that McGuire has missed a full year.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Lol. In my opinion, Cian Healy is a 20 minute player. He's poor in the loose, my opinion, he is slow, my opinion, and is not the player who's going to turn a match around. His form has detiorated over the last couple of seasons.

While I respect the fact he's the greatest loose head we've ever had, I believe he's spent. It's just one man's opinion.

On Ed Byrne, he's a urc level player and can give a lot of minutes. Yes, Boyle needs to pass him and he probably will. What Byrne has that important, is the mobility to move around the park. I'm not suggesting that Byrne play v La Rochelle or Toulouse. He just brings energy.

Most disagree with me and that's fine. After all, it's a forum! Respect your opinion AB. Mine differs!

Advertisement