Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

theres political gangsters and then theres people who are involved in murder, drug dealing and smuggling and on an international scale

SF are really going to have to try and do something about their supporters who flood the comments section of tweets like this. The anger off the men who post is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If there was any doubt that Gerry Adams is a pyschopath, he has well and truly shown it now.

"“Very few tears” would have been shed in parts of the UK or Ireland if the 1984 IRA Brighton bombing killed Margaret Thatcher, former Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams has claimed."

Painting the bombing of innocent people in Brighton as some sort of outcome that people would have liked is just so far outside normal thinking that it displays just how dangerous this man is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Interesting and wrong take.

If the PIRA had been successful in murdering the elected head of state of a member of the UN Security Council, then all bets would be off.

Soft American support would have dried up as would their finance. The British public, outraged that their PM would be murdered in such a fashion and while not all may have liked her, they would have taken it as a direct attack on their freedoms and would have backed a much more ruthless campaign against the PIRA

This would have resulted in a tripling down of the British Security force's war on the PIRA, with American, and European pressure on the Irish government to come down much harder on the PIRA/SF.

The SF lads complain about the dirty war. If Thatcher had been murdered it would have been ten times worse, with loyalist killing squads working hand in hand to kill as many IRA men as they could find.

In other words, what went on covertly in the late 80s and 90s but the gloves well and truly taken off. Gerry Adams would certainly have been killed.

In summary, PIRA/SF are very lucky this didn't happen because most of them would have died in the resulting backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I agree, but what was interesting to me from the article was the cold callous way he discussed her potential death. No empathy, no respect, just plain brutality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It's hardly news though, is it? I don't disagree that it's a pretty cold and callous way to phrase things, but given the reaction to her death, I don't think he's really that wrong; there were in fact very few tears shed in parts of Ireland and the UK.

As lacking in class as it may have been, there were in fact street parties celebrating it, 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' went to number one in the charts in response. Whatever you may think of her personally, it is indisputable that the woman was absolutely reviled in many parts of the UK and Ireland in a way that goes far beyond even most political leaders.

I can't disagree with @markodaly's take on what the response would've been like, though I'm not sure it would've been quite so effective at wiping out the Provo threat; British brutality was the best recruitment tool they ever had.

The Provo threat relied on money from the US first and foremost. You can be 100% sure that this would have dried up as a result of Thatcher's murder.

Simply put, PIRA/SF would have crossed a line of international opinion and they would have been able to put that genie back in the bottle.

I always maintain, the PIRA/SF were lucky that 9/11 happened after the Good Friday Agreement, because if the conflict in the North was still underway, with IRA bombs going off on the British mainland, then there would have been a quick sharp squeeze on the PIRA leadership to come to the table and they would have gotten a much worse deal out of it. Think IRA bombers and the like still behind bars today, etc...

I'm not so sure the impact on money from the US would've been quite as substantial as you are. The cognitive dissonance required for that funding to exist in the first place makes me think that there is little that could've happened this side of the Atlantic that would've caused it to dry up.

100% agree with you regarding expectations should the GFA not have predated 9/11 though.

I disagree.

All it would take was for the American Government and FBI to designate the PIRA and most importantly SF an international terror group, and anyone contributing a single cent to them would fall foul of American anti-terror laws.

Irish Americans who had a weird sense of patriotism in giving them a few bob would have shat their pants at the thought that they are funding a terror group post 9/11, and the consequences of that. Every single dime would have dried up in a day.

The PIRA would not have been able to survive much longer in its current guise without money.

The Brighton Bombing was in 1984, so the premise of anything about it through the lens of a post-9/11 USA is pretty redundant, Mark.

I fully agreed with you that through the post-9/11 lens, everything changes. My premise was that should the bombing have killed Thatcher, I don't reckon that would've been the end of US funding for the Provos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,074 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he's 100% correct.

it would have saved much of the damage that was done to britain which still continues today.

thatcherism is a failed, bankrupt, fascist ideology.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

she didn't show any empathy or respect for the millions she put into indefinite poverty, their towns in terminal decline.

or the individuals who, lets face it, the dogs on the street know she had taken out because they protested against nuclear weapons.

or striking miners and other protesters who she had agents infiltrate to cause trouble and then had them beat to a pulp by police among all sort of other horiffic stuff surrounding all of protest groups.

she deserved nothing, she deserves nothing.

I always have a wry smile on my face when people like above give out so much about Thatcher.

She mightily upsets the right people, which gives me some satisfaction.

She closed the coal mines which was a good thing for the planet in the long run. Sure the rest of the world are trying to do the same now, 40 years on.

not sure upsetting her own people is the right people ultimately.

she closed britain's own coal mines but bought lower grade coal which used slave labour at twice the price so as to funnel money to a communist regime, while (all be it rightly) spouting about the ills of communism.

Twice the price?

LOL

Are you going to link us to this story?

Are SF considering leaving the Left grouping in Europe? As they move towards the fertile fishing grounds of the centre are they going to ditch the whole support for dictatorships in places like Cuba, their antipathy for the EU in general, and their numerous dubious statements on Ukraine (deleted from their website but still available on archive websites)?

What does the youth wing think about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭easygoing39

sf can smell the money by ditching their lunatic left wing ideology.The youth wing will think what their told to think by the army council.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

They will make the usual one for everyone in the audience vague statements with so many dog whistles for the left, center and right it will be like watching a box set of classic episodes of "One man and his dog". But deep down their core membership are hard left and more importantly the Army Council are hard left. They won't shift from that.

SF’s “undecided” support base is going to a tough bunch to keep happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

MacDonald on Sunday Politics bladdering on about a border poll.

A border poll is the last thing on most people's mind at the moment.

Nothing to say about SF voters saying we are taking too many migrants in.

• Advertisement

If people had 100 things to be worried about, a border poll would be 101 on the list.

No but the Army Council and higherups in SF care about the border poll.

But they keep talking about it, because they then wont be asked the harder questions about immigration or how to fix housing and so on.

Yet, they want to run a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,801 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Quite the group that SF TD Mairead Farrell is involved with…… can’t imagine she went to party HQ for approval before agreeing to participate. Galway Alliance Against War is a big fan of shilling Russian propaganda and doesn’t even try to hide it

Very disappointing to see Catherine Connolly involved as well.

Have to agree.

What are these people thinking?

I’d imagine Farrell is from the more “physical force Republicanism” side of the party. That part has always had a soft spot for Moscow, anti-US rhetoric, and communist dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Irish MEP is becoming a notoriety contest and that's how Brexit started.

That guy Farrage couldn't win parliamentary election even at the height of Brexit mania, but his little revolution caught on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Hmm communists terrorists and imbeciles all in one room . hope nothing bad happens

Shower of d*ckheads get together and preach to easily influenced d*ckheads....wouldn't piss on a single one of them if they were on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭rdwight

Census 2022

Population over 65 increased by 138k (21%) since 2016. Old age dependency ratio increased from 20% to 23%. (my calculations - open to correction)

How's that "demographics will take care of themselves" approach to pensions plans working out for Mary Lou?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

How does a thread like this just stop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,185 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Advertisement