Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

So hypocritical the way Holmes professes to "care" about the young lad, but then objectifies him as Schofield's "plaything" and then adds further innuendo about him "needing lots of money" (i.e., suggesting he's a a druggie). This hardly helps the guy's future career prospects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,621 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The 3 weeks work directly lead to him ending up at ITV / This Morning, with credits and a patron like that on his CV.

A year later when he was 20. Surely the time for a coercive sexual deviant to strike would be a year previously when he was 19 or younger?

Also what makes you think it was Schofield who made the initial advances?

I mean a minted "famous" millionaire who would have easily passed for being a much younger man surely would have his pick without the decades long ruse?

Either way there is absolutely zero tangible evidence that Schofield got the lad hired in return for sexual favours.

That is just all sorts of defamatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭prunudo

Interestingly, after his latest interview, most comments on social media agree with these views of him also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,337 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Your post bears no relation to what I wrote.

In an earlier post I wrote: "Given how hard it is to establish such things, that is why organisations have codes of conducts about affairs between people in different positions \ authority."

You ignored that and invented up some 'coercive sexual deviant' scenario in your head, as if I came up with it - then start accusing my posts of being defamatory??? That is total strawmanning.

Well, if Schofield has been defamed by ITV getting rid of him, he should sue. Because they investigated allegations of a relationship and Schofield denied the relationship. This implies there was something inappropriate about it professionally if such a relationship was a reality.

The relationship was totally inappropriate for his position, putting himself in a place where he could further the career of someone he appears to have had his eye on. Whoever made the first move, Schofield shouldn't have gone there with a This Morning junior employee he was instrumental in getting hired - because it put him in a position where the relationship and someone else's career was tied together.

There is nothing defamatory about suggesting the junior employee in such an imbalanced relationship may feel pressure - it is the basis for employee code of conducts in organisation after organisation.

And if he could have had his pick of many partners, all the reason not to get involved in an inappropriate relationship at work - especially someone you've been a patron of since they were 15 if not younger.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I guess any hole is a goal when you're desperate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Or if the 50 yr old is a fine thing..... George Clooney anyone.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

George Clooney appears to have some taste..

He is also thankfully lacking a predilection for boys, three decades younger than himself.

Your post bears no relation to what I wrote

Ah you likened him to "Hollywood Casting Directors".

Which "coercive sexual deviant" covers, unless you meant something else?

So yes unless you have tangible proof that is indeed potentially defamatory.

Nowhere did I accuse him of being a 'coercive sexual deviant' or make that as a statement of fact. Find the post where I said that.

This is the definition of similar: "looking or being almost, but not exactly, the same."

So - not the same.

As to what exactly transpired in this situation, I already made this statement, which you continually ignore so you can repeat your false accusations:

In an earlier post I wrote: "Given how hard it is to establish such things, that is why organisations have codes of conducts about affairs between people in different positions \ authority."

This is the third time I've posted it to you, as a demonstration of your bad faith posting here.

Define what you meant by "Hollywood Casting Directors" so?

I'd call them coercive sexual deviants, I think that is rather mild but a definition most people would agree with, but not you for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

valid point :)

When I was 18 I would have got up on the crack of dawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Enough, already. FFS. Never a fan of Schofield and Holly. Two contrived attention seeking numpties.

But has Schofield broken the law? The incessant badgering is so the opposite of these insincere “be kind” ****. Holmes is one hell of an insincere dog with a bone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Interviewed on GB News and as reported by The Daily Mail (some posters will just ❤️ my source references).😂 Former ITV director Ian McCulloch says:

”There’s so much more to come out with this story ”

Meh- maybe bullying or bitch festing accusations or taking advantage of employer or something but I would have thought the major news on this story has broken at this stage.

We don't know if he has broken the law but he doesn't have to have broken criminal law to have done something wrong \ misconduct in terms of his position of employment.

Holmes’ is a toerag with how he’s behaving here

For one thing, I said similar to. I did not say exactly like eg Harvey Weinstein.

The general point of concern is about creating opportunities for possible sexual exploitation through power imbalance, where someone feels their career is being assisted because of sexual relationship. This is why professional codes of conduct are important.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It is obviously a golden opportunity for some people to benefit from the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Yeah but the thing is you'd expect the 50 yo to have more feckin cop on.

You can be attracted to someone and find them charismatic or whatever but that doesn't mean you act on it.

At 20 you are still a child,ok technically you are an adult and legal, however from a life experience, sexual experience you're still a child in comparison to a 50yo.

While a 20 yo might feel they know exactly what they are doing, emotionally they really aren't mature enough to be dealing with this type of relationship.

I'm not 50 , but the idea even now scoring a 20 yo is meh, even when I was 30 the idea was meh!!!

Half your age + 8 is a good guideline to follow for the most part.

• Advertisement

I get that. But the incessant badgering now is way more nasty looking in my view.

It’s all down to human nature: people love it when successful and influential and powerful people fall from grace. We all can exhibit that begrudging trait.

Jayzuz I didn’t know that socially accepted age difference was so liberal - I’ll take 1/2 my age plus 8 years any day of the week -THANKYOU 😂😂😂

Way more nasty than Schofield's behaviour we are aware of with regard to the junior employee, his colleagues and wife? Nope, not seeing it.

You should probably consider what is motivating the ex-colleagues people 'badgering' Schofield now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Post edited by Princess Calla on

In addition, The focus in the media over last few days though has turned inward towards ITV- ie who knew what and when? sorta thing.

Yes there are some digs still at PS- like articles where he allegedly asked someone not to post a video because he was pictured with Mr. Young Chap. Etc - but without statements from Phil or Young Chap there’s feic all else to be said on those two.

Similar to Harvey Weinstein, that's okay so. 😂

Professional codes of conduct are not infallible, work colleagues have been fúcking each other forever and it will continue forever. Very very few of them would be "similar" to Harvey Weinstein.

But yeah catnip for Internet Karen.

• Advertisement

Zero specifics?

Also

An ITV spokesperson said: “We are sorry to read Dr Ranj’s post today. At ITV we are fully committed to providing every opportunity for anyone who works with us to raise any concern or comments they may have.

“Following a complaint made by Dr Ranj, we appointed an external and independent adviser to carry out a review. This external review found no evidence of bullying or discrimination.”

Work colleagues in this situation of significant age difference, where the older party has been a patron in the sector to the younger party and in contact since the age of 15???

Really?

You know many "colleagues" where it played out like that?

These weren't just "colleagues" were they. They weren't peers, or independent of each other's work who happen to be in same company. One appears to have played a very significant role in getting the other hired and boosting their career.

You continually downplay this aspect with your language.

So sure, keep up the strawmanning.

Yeah but that sho1te doesn’t interest me- feels too much like reading about a workplace issue 😀

I posted it more to show how the media narrative is developing wrt This Morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It’s far more common than you seem to realise.

• Advertisement

You continually downplay this aspect with your language.

Similar to Harvey Weinstein?

🙄

With someone known from when they were 15 years old that they played a role in getting hired?

You're just making stuff up now.

And when it does occur, the issue is in sorting out the genuine cases from those where is a power imbalance and element of coercion \ abuse.

Which is why there are professional codes of conduct, rules about affairs between direct line reports etc and the potential for abuse and harrassment in such relationships is why they are seen in a different light in 2023 than say 1963 or 1983.

What narrative?

Serious allegation was made in the workplace, that workplace took that allegation to external independent review? Hardly any sort of evidence of a toxic culture, opposite if anything.

You do realise employees can be troublesome díckheads too right?

What I actually wrote was:

I said similar to. I did not say exactly like eg Harvey Weinstein.

You seem to have trouble understanding what similar means, and now have to resort to quoting sections out of context.

Once again you are unable to refute or engage with the points made.

The general point of concern is about creating opportunities for possible sexual exploitation through power imbalance, where someone feels their career is being assisted because of sexual relationship. This is why professional codes of conduct are important.

Harvey Weinstein's actions are part of the reason why such power imbalances are viewed rightly with suspicion.

That doesn't mean all such relationships are of the same nature as Weinstein, or that what happened with Schofield was of the same order BUT it means the difficulty in determining that means the safest course to protect both parties is for them to be forbidden.

Sure the workplace culture was all happy, which is why we now see some more ex employees coming forth to speak about it.

Did they investigate it as seriously as they investigated Schofield's affair with the junior employee?

The one which has now been shown to be true?

• Advertisement

You mean Holmes who can't decide whether ITV is the most woke channel on the planet or the most toxic?

Did the affair go to external independent review?

This is what I actually wrote:

Harvey Weinstein's actions are part of the reason why such power imbalances are viewed rightly with suspicion. That doesn't mean all such relationships are of the same nature as Weinstein, or that what happened with Schofield was of the same order BUT it means the difficulty in determining that means the safest course to protect both parties is for them to be forbidden.

'emotional hyperventilating' - pretty obvious sign you've run out of actual points to make when you have to resort to this and picking out one liners from other people's posts to misrepresent.

Well no this is what i replied to.

It was you that subsequently suggested similar to Weinstein.

BUT it means the difficulty in determining that means the safest course to protect both parties is for them to be forbidden

LaLa land, colleagues are going to fúck each forever.

Strawman of that violent rapist is not going to change that reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,624 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

There is more than just an affair for Phil, it seems the words bullying, taking advantage, toxic work environment, cover up, lies, grooming, etc., all been talked about, his agent, friends, colleagues, ITV, charities etc., are all distancing themselves, I think there is more to come out

If this was someone else, it would a major talking point on This Morning and Loose Women

I don't think you can equate Phil with Caroline Flack and be kind but I am sure someone will compare and use mental health depression

Holmes, Wootton, Holly and so on are just back tracking as they knew and went along with everything, all the praise for Phil is his now we know staged big coming out reveal show

Well that's my take on it, my opinion

You are obsessed with the thought of these 2 people having “known” each other since one of them had been 15. It’s irrelevant because the job was apparently only facilitated once he was 18.

I’m finding it hard to believe that you have never come across roles being traded for favours incl. extra marital activities. Not everything is abuse just because you perceive it to be morally wrong.

Sure, tell the HR and legal departments that draw up such codes of conduct they are in la la land.

They just drew them up for the craic, not because companies were left dealing with the fall out when such things turn sour, like sexual harassment and misconduct cases.

And these documents have stopped people fúcking each from work have they?

I can't Mary, Anne from HR has a document that "forbids" it.

😂

Eh I'm not obsessed, it is one of the points of this case. It is not irrelevent. It speaks to the pattern of behaviour.

I have never come across roles being traded for that. I don't know what industry you work in but all I can say is that I have not.

I didn't say everything was abuse what I said was due to the difficulty of determining what was abuse and wasn't, that is why there's codes of conducts that such relationships should not be permitted. Such trading can run the range from relatively benign to the realm of Harvey Weinstein. We don't know exactly where on that spectrum this case falls.

I would also add, the impact on other colleagues where they see another employee advanced because of such relationship rather than on professional merit can be a factor in creating a 'toxic' workplace.

Another reason companies prohibit them.

You are the one who claims they don't, and have zero effect - completely without evidence.

Nobody said they stop it happening 100% but if you think it hasn't prevented instances of 'fraternisation' whatsoever, take it up with the experts who do.

I know which side is more credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

ITV has instructed a barrister to carry out an external review of the facts following Phillip Schofield's departure from This Morning and subsequent press statements, chief executive Dame Carolyn McCall has said in a letter seen by the PA news agency.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
Advertisement