Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Cork haven't won an All Ireland in 23 years and you're putting them on a greats of the modern era list? Sweet **** jesus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭newhouse87

You never had tipp on it to take them off 😁. Still i would rather have tipps recent history then cork. Id rather more titles then back to backs tbh. Corks famine now longer then tipps longest. Its all subjective anyway, can stop and start eras at any point to suit an argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

To be fair (though I suspect this is what a chap I know refers to as a Mickey contest rather than a rational discussion) I don't think anyone from Tipperary "bragged" about winning three All Irelands since 2010 (which in hurling terms is a long time). Surely it's just to show that it is trying way too hard to put Cork 0 and Clare 1 in the same time ahead of Tipperary.

By all means hate. Hate. Hate. Hate. It's what hurling people do best. Those other counties are way too near not to hate. But getting to '2 is bigger than 5' territory is is trying too hard.

By all means try to exclude Tipperary but including Cork and Clare instead is just silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭puzl

Okay let's knock Cork off too... You guys really care about my list.

The modern great hurling counties are (in no particular order) Limerick and KK.

• Advertisement

I think it's reasonable to look at the modern era as starting with the introduction of the back door. I think it's reasonable to look at this 30ish year history as modern hurling and to consider stats and form from this era when considering modern greats.

I think it's not silly to require a team to win back to back all Irelands to be considered in a discussion of whether or not that team was great. It pains me to say it, but that cork team of the early naughties were a great team.

I think Tipp have a very good record in the modern game but haven't had a truly great teams.

enjoy the celebrations too much in tipp to do back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Lionel Fusco

Since the back door came in its Kilkenny 11

Tipperary 4

Limerick 4

Cork 3

Clare 2

Offaly 1

Galway 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Here's another stat for your list. Offaly ( a county I love btw) have NEVER beaten Tipp in a championship match. You might check limericks record against them !

And only two of them have done 4 in a 5 year stretch. It's amazing really that any team would do that, but two in such a short period is astonishing and fair play to both KK and Limerick.

• Advertisement

You're not seriously putting this Limerick Team ( one of their recent all irelands was won in Christmas week ffs!) In the same bracket as the great Kilkenny team! Stop just stop, and enjoy ye're current bit of success.

I'm not from Limerick.

Kk had some easy all Irelands too. 06 they beat offaly, Wexford twice and Limerick, neither of which were really a serious threat to them (no disrespect intended).

Oh sorry, its just that you come across all Limericky! What part of the country are you from?

No, you're changing the goalposts. Earlier it was "great counties" but now you're changing it to "great teams". You need to debate this one with yourself.

I'm not exercised about your "list" at all. Like, who on earth are you, and what do you know about any of it? I've no idea so I wouldn't be taking it too seriously.

I just questioned how a county with three All Irelands in a given period of time was listed behind one who got 0 and 1.

As for the introduction the qualifiers......that's what 30 years ago you are saying? Not sure what's special or 'modern' about that. Offaly were winning All Ireland back then. Nobody under 25 would remember Cork winning an All Ireland. Few under 35 would remember Offaly. Different era. Far too long ago.

Don't forget either that Limerick won 2020 in a straight knockout. Is that to be disregarded too because it was old style?

You're harmless enough to wade into this when you're not even from the county.

No they didn't. If you are putting yourself forward as an expert on 30 years hurling you need to read Wikipedia more closely.

Enough time spent here I reckon.

You can't even get basic facts straight and all you have to do is Google it.

2020 was not traditional straight knock out. It was modern knockout with backdoor to qualifiers.

No, this is what being objective looks like. Limerick are factually a great team. Tipp haven't had a great team in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

This thread could do with a few matches coming up soon

Your first post putting clare and cork ahead of tipp in recent time shows you are not objective. Your dislike of tipp clouded your judgment. No body is claiming tipps 2010-2020 teams were as good as this limerick or kilkenny team, you are creating narratives in your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭tranquilo

Ah lads, any true hurling person knows that Tipp are above both Cork and definitely Clare on that recent list.

2000 to 2010 Tipp and Cork have 2 each while Clare have none. 2011 to 2020 Tipp have 2 while Clare have 1. Cork have none in that time!

Of course Tipp are on the list and it's just nonsense to think otherwise

Even if I wasn't a Limerick person I would agree that it's a great team. But I would have to concede that it is still an opinion.

I cannot comment on Tipperary or anyone else "decades ago". So I'll leave that one with you.

Sorry, I'm clearly not as attached to Google as yourself. I'm operating with stuff I actually experienced and remember. And yeah, it'll be flawed occasionally. But at least it's genuine.

Nothing this weekend so a serious man like yourself will have to avert the gaze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You switch counties more than peggyshippen, maybe you are peggyshippen?

Maybe we could switch the conversation to picking your dream 15 of the modern era. Might spark a bit of healthy debate. Players like Sean Finn for example from this current Limerick team I'd probably put in mine. One of the best corner backs I've seen and still only 27

I'll get the ball rolling sher. Again it's purely subjective but I'd probably go with this:

Brendan Cummins

Sean Finn JJ Delaney Jackie Tyrell

Tommy Walsh Padraic Maher Kyle Hayes

Cian Lynch Michael Fennelly

Henry Shefflin Joe Canning TJ Reid

Aaron Gillane Patrick Horgan Eoin Kelly(Tipp)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Who do you think will prevail in the finals Sunday week?

Cant really say much about the Leinster as I have only seen the final games. Pure gut instinct but I think Galway will edge it, albeit in a close game. They didnt have a great first half but showed some grit in the second half.

I think Munster will be a close affair too and I think Clare will edge it. Limerick to me look slightly out of sorts this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Galway & Limerick for me.

Advertisement