Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter Club 2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Unfortunately I am of the view that they are trying to have fewer.

My index is 12.3.

Home club Course Hcap 14.

Too low to play Purcell.

Genius.

• Spanish Point in first round last year.

Nenagh in first round this year.

Fml. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

Is this a different format this year? Drawn against clubs well outside our locality even outside our county in round 1 of senior cup & Barton?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

senior cup and barton in connacht are gone back to 2 day events. Strokeplay qualifying followed by matchplay for the top 4 qualifiers

galway gc and castlebar hosting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Definitely a change from the norm alright. Waterville and Lahinch meeting in the Jimmy Bruen. 3.5 hour journey. Munster is now just East and West. Whereas it was always divided into 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Dotzie

Anyone have any idea how the Leinster home and away draws are working this year?

Previous years worked off which team numbers or letter was first which were on the side of each draw.

This year the numbers are there on the pdf draws but there is no numbers on the side to say who is home or away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭paulos53

From the competition regulations document:

11) DRAWS

(a) In draws conducted for Inter-Club competitions where one team will be at home and the other away, the team that appears first in the draw will have home advantage in the first round. Thereafter, home advantage will be determined on a round-by-round basis as follows:

i) If the two advancing teams have both had home advantage in the previous round, home advantage will go to the team on top of the draw.

ii) If the two advancing teams were both away in the previous round, home advantage will go to the team on top of the draw.

iii) If one of the two advancing teams was at home and the other team was away in the previous round, the team that was away in the previous round will have home advantage.

iv) If one of the two teams due to play each other had drawn a bye in the first round, that team will be away, irrespective of whether the other team was home or away in the previous round.

v) Where both teams had drawn a bye in the previous round, home advantage will go to the team on top of the draw.

Note 1: Teams availing of a walkover from a team that was originally drawn against them will be treated as if they had played the match – ie, they will not be considered to have drawn a bye.

Note 2: Teams originally drawn away in a round who, due to extenuating circumstances, have home advantage ceded to them will be considered to have played an away match as per the draw.

Well lads. New to the teams convenor gig. Ceist eile for ye. What's the story with a lad who is a country member of our club. Can he play interclub for us? He's not showing up on my clubhouse teams report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭cianc1

Yeah we have glengarriff, I feel sorry for the journey they have to make in the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭GolfPar

Has he a fully formed handicap? Maybe that's why he's not showing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭swededmonkey

Assuming qualifying handicap and sufficient rounds are in place etc it shouldn't be an issue. He can't play for both clubs in the same competition. I played for 2 clubs a few years back in the all ireland fourball and pierce purcell. It was mentioned to both clubs at the time and nobody had an issue.

You're right. He told me he did have the 20+ but on further investigation, he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Genuine question...... How do you clubs select team players? We have commenced a pod system in our club, basically two low handicappers with two higher. Periodically change partners within the pod and scores are monitored. I hate it tbh. Really relies on persons being available on certain days and if someone can't make it, their partners chances of making the team are diminished. So how are your team managers doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭coillcam

I'm new to it and it's hard to get people together. Unlike GAA which was training Tue/Thu and game/training on Sun at set times. Everyone was working around that schedule for the job, family, social etc. Plus you're all more or less in the same age range. With golf you never have a defined structure and ages/life situations differ quite a lot so it's very difficult to get everyone together.

For the foursomes team I'm on, the manager spoke to me and asked which of the 3x potential partners I knew based on HC's matching for the combined total. I knew two of them fairly well and the other guy wasn't available much so it was easy to have two options for me purely on that basis (I'm the higher index player). After that it's up to myself and partner(s) to get practice matches in vs other groupings on the team.

With the singles team, it was basically a roundup of everyone around the cut-off range that was interested. Plus a few others the captain had earmarked. Then purely performance or recent form combined with internal matches.

The biggest issue like you mentioned is availability. People travelling for work, different shifts/rosters and we all have limited options to set aside 3-4 hours. Add holidays etc you know the score pretty well.

I think it's hard for managers to pick teams on that basis but equally, it's tough on the players to try to get together frequently. I'd imagine it's often a gut feeling or a glimpse of a few shots that make the difference. Plus prior experience and anyone clearly in form.

EDIT: we did have a teams meeting night open to everyone who wanted to play on a team. Plus emails and contact details of the guys overseeing teams if you couldn't make it. It was quite open and transparent tbh. No-one could complain that they weren't given a chance to sign up.

Our team was really oversubscribed and had to be trimmed back, which caused issues in itself with players not even getting a chance to prove themselves. I kinda like your idea of asking which players you know/ have played with already on the course. It's one thing I've never been asked my opinion on. Like yourself I'm the higher index player and in the last two seasons I've had to trial with lads I never even met before. It's a really tricky job for managers but IMO the process should be started as early as possible in the golf season. Benefits being everyone gets a fair shot at making the team, and the manager gets to see some really solid consistent pairings over time.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭swededmonkey

Our manager has a core panel of 25 and 10 selected for each round depending on availability, with 2 pairs in reserve. He has some core pairs that have performed well and doesn't split up unless he has to. They are often the first names on the team sheet, essentially your steady eddie's and if they don't get a point, you are fairly certain they will run it close. After that, the remaining pairs have playoff matches to make the team for that round. We're into the third round and I'm on my 3rd partner

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

No shock to see who won this at the weekend 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Salvadoor

Incredible.

Surely they deserve to be in the running for 2023 RTE Sports Team of the year award

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭big_drive

Bit of a joke at this stage. Surely there are people in that club who can't be happy with this happening

You would think so but they are brazen about the whole thing. There's actually members of that club that have been turned away from playing in charity events at other clubs because of their reputation. They manage their handicaps brilliantly and don't care what anyone thinks.

On a separate issue what is up with Limerick golf club and the state of their bunkers? They are hosting the Munster regional finals on the bank holiday and there's grass growing in the sand, which is also lacking. Bizarre to see in July... .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Anyone have the history about this with SP? not from the region so noT familar with it. From google it seems in 2021 they won it for third time since 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭plumber77

Nenagh also won it 3 times since then. so 6 times between them in 10 years. 2 very well managed clubs

Thurles must be feeling left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭slingerz

Amazing how these small clubs can be so successful. As will all sports it would be the bigger clubs that would be most likely to be successful

Happened to be talking to a member of Kenmare (where final was played) at weekend. SP were getting 14 shots over the 5 games in the final. Cant understand why Golf Ireland brought shots into the Pierce Purcell this year, all it has done is played into the hands of these clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭GolfPar

That's interesting. In that case they were picking a lot of non typical PP handicap players. Having picked a PP team this year and won through a few rounds the most shots I saw in a single match were 2 either way and we mainly picked lads who's lowest were around the 13-16 mark.

• Advertisement

Advertisement