Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Sigma101

This might be of interest to some. 

Vlad Vexler is a London-based Russian philosopher. In my view, his YouTube channel of short videos is one of the most informative online commentaries on Russian politics related to the war and on how the war is perceived by ordinary Russians. In his latest video below he comments on yesterday's drone attack in Moscow. He explains how depoliticised Muscovites will process the attack and how the Kremlin chooses whether or not to use such events to shape public opinion. 

He believes it's a mistake to moralise about the rights or wrongs of Ukrainian attacks on civilian infrastructure in Russia. Moralising this is an ethical misunderstanding of war. He sees the attacks as neither right nor wrong but as a direct and logical consequence of 15 months of Russian aggression and brutality and of waging an unjust war on Ukrainian territory. He expects that the attacks will become more frequent and more impactful as the war comes back to Russia, limited only by Ukrainian capacity and any constraints imposed by western allies.

Be warned though: if you believe that the drone attack in Moscow yesterday was a Russian 'false flag' operation you may find this uncomfortable viewing. Vexler asserts that you're a victim of 'the gamification of war' and will challenge you to examine if you've stopped thinking for yourself. 

Post edited by Sigma101 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭amandstu

"I would hope that it's Ukraine (well even better would be internal russian resistance) are launching the attacks on moscow, but it's most likely to be the russians themselves in some sort of conscription and keeping protests quiet push."

If I was a Russian civilian in Moscow I would be feeling demoralised,whoever it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭vixdname

Yep, got to say I agree, Gatling has markedly changed his tune in recent times.

Gatling was pro Ukrainian to the extreme, and I for one often agreed with his positive \ optimistic outlook on how the war was and would progress for Ukraine, indeed some of Gatlings posts were very informative and opened manys the interesting debate on here, along with this hes got in to manys the heated and protracted debates with the more pro Russian or even slightly less pro Ukrainian posters in this thread but theres been a marked an significant change in his attitude and outlook on Ukraine as it now stands in this conflict.

Dont get me wrong, Gatling has every right to have his opinion on any facet of this conflict and to have it heard but as others have commented on here, his comments are markedly less pro Ukraine than they previously were, I thought I was the only one thinking it until I read a couple of other regular contributors express the same opinion.

Wonder why the big change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

I've started taking that guy with a pinch of salt to be honest, if everything he said was true then the war would have been over ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I don't come here very often.

What's the Pro-Russian argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

What about Iraq/NATO/I don't like America/ehhh covid nuttery/ehhhh I'm a troll and have nothing better to do. Ehhhh Neo Nazis.

That about covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

You can challenge the prevailing pro-Ukraine narrative in the thread without fear of a ban if you're willing to back up your claims with credible sources and use reasonable arguments. Posters like timmyntc have managed to do that consistently and respectfully without resorting to the use of obvious propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭vixdname

The below would be an example, posted by a recently booted pro russian shill, they post absolute utterly untrue garbage like the below statement in some twisted attempt at sowing doubt in the integrity of the Ukrainians and how theyre getting on in the war - stay they usually come on in waves but in fairness the regular lads and lassies on the thread can spot them a mile away and will call them out pretty hastily before the every watching eyes of the admins boot them.

The Prigozhin videos from earlier this month about running out of ammo, shooting deserting Russians, calling out the Kremlin, etc. will be studied in military colleges for decades to come as a masterclass in battlefield psyops. He lured Kiev’s forces to the Bakhmut trap, killed their generals, and forestalled any counteroffensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭maxflinn

Cool! But regarding credible sources....might be an issue there I'd say.

I don't think there are too many on either side given there's an information war happening alongside the actual war.

For example I've seen numerous people on fora quoting The Institute For The Study Of War, using their articles as evidence. Well, it's a propaganda outlet ran by the disgraced Neocon Kagan family, who have hated Russia for decades, whilst pushing for the US to destroy several countries. I've even seen RTE News quoting them🙄

So, credible sources may be a very subjective thing I'd say...

• Advertisement

Thank you for the heads up.

Is your disagreement about the description of the conflict rather than the cause and culpability?

Well that claim in itself is an interesting potential fact. My first reaction to a claim like that is "show me the proof". If you can show that kind of thing without resorting to some blog or twitter account that has a history of pushing falsehoods then that would genuinely add to the discourse.

Misinformation isn't spread to change your mind. It's just enough to muddy the waters enough you believe what you want to believe without hesitation.

That can be that you're(not you) just a sad uneducated loser needing to think you know something educated people don't know.

When the AI gets out we are all fucked.

Part of the thing that gets me about the "Everything is the USA's fault" crowd is that they commonly talk about how the Russians are fighting back against imperialism. Russia is the largest country on earth. How exactly do they think that it got that big?

As part of its federal makeup Russia has 21 different Republics where ethnic Russians are in the minority. They didn't convince all of those different races of people, with different languages, culture and religion to sign up for the Russian Empire willingly. Unlike the rest of the European colonial powers they also didn't give any of those colonies back even after the Empire collapsed. In fact they actually expanded their colonialism via the creation of the Soviet Union. Those were relinquished in 1991 but the original colonies remain. In fact the Russian armed forces are disproportionately using their men as cannon fodder in this war. The likes of Chechnya, Dagestan, Tuva and Buryatia are having their men folk slaughtered while ethnic Russians in Moscow get to stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I think certain posters forget the West didn't take this path themselves - they wanted to evacuate Zelensky out of Ukraine so he could protest the invasion in exile. People regarded Russia as a "near peer" to the United States, militarily, they were chickenshit of nuclear aggression, to which Zelensky famously said "The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride."

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

The last thing you want to do is be obviously exposed.

Not only is your message undermined and destroyed but even people taken in by the deception are now immune to future operations and they're spreading the knowledge against it.

The World's worst time-share sale. (don't take the cyanide pill)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭XsApollo

only people forcing Ukrainians to fight are Russians.

If Ukraine lay down their arms tomorrow , they won’t be told not to by anybody in the west.

The west is helping them fight a fight they are fighting, not forcing them.

Most Russians I've met are good people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭victor8600

I thought so too, but now I am not that sure. There is one couple of Russian professors in Germany, very smart and highly educated as expected. I was shocked to learn that they support Putin's aggression against Ukraine. I mean how is that possible? They have been living in Germany for 20 years, they don't have to swallow Putin's propaganda, and yet they support killing Ukrainians. They would be lovely people to talk to otherwise. Just bizarre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

Come across a lot of Russians over the years when holidaying in asia, mainly Thailand and Indonesia. When saying hello in passing at hotels, generally never got an acknowledgement, let alone a smile or 'privet'. More over, was always disgusted how they would treat the local staff, always talking down to them or shouting. I appreciate there are cultural differences, however respect is universal.

Yeah it's the ones abroad that get me. The ones holding rallies in places like Germany and Australia after February 2022. It's like the war is an event similar to a football tournament to them and they're just bursting to show their support for their boys. I presume all the decent ones are hanging their heads in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Speaking of Russians and their attitudes, a woman in WA, Russian, painted her garage door with Russian for “bakhmut is ours thanks Wagner” to taunt her neighbors who were Ukrainians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

Putin was so happy when in return for his help in quelling a revolution in his country, Assad gifted him unlimited access to his ports on the Mediterranean. And of course, paid Putin handsomely as well.

How does the average Irish person react to an introduction they've never heard before?

I think English speaking nations are generally terrible at travelling because there's a presumption, among a vocal minority, that because you've paid to go there they should know your language, English. The further you go the worse it gets in comparison to French, Spanish, Italian or German.

Russians are generally worse but just for context.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

Has he gone to Russia and told them to deescalate?

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

I've found the opposite... much like travellers, they were only ever nice when looking for something.

• Advertisement

Travelling or not I find it helps your situation to be nice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement