Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It was perhaps a mistake to mention the Swiss. What I meant was that there may be room to negotiate on some sort of alignment. Surely that would be an improvement on endless hostilities from London that the Tories have been promoting.

Not sure how likely it is. The EU seems to be happy enough. It wouldn't be a proper negotiation since the EU has its standards in place already and the UK either follows them or mostly follows them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭yagan

I think Starmer is right to not take a position on brexit until he has a parliamentary majority to actually change the narrative. Otherwise any softening is rekindling the old Brexiter siege mentality which is very like the No Surrender mantra of Ulster unionism.

Tragedy + time = Comedy.

I agree though that even if the narrative changed towards constructive ties with the EU it will be very much on what suits the bloc. I found the remainer mantra of "Lead Europe, Not Leave" as condescending as any Brexiter banner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There was no such remainer mantra. That was an unused idea for a marketing campaign. I fail to see how it's condescending.

I think a potential reversal of Brexit could artificially hold the Tory party together longer than it otherwise would.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

The Lead, Not Leave mantra is a very British imperial tone, completely missing the pooling of sovereignty that is the union.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭flatty

I find this approach odd. I strongly suspect he’s doing what his election strategist tells him. To be honest, I can see why. Even if a third of voters are firmly entrenched old gammon (which they are), alienating them will hand a tranche to the tories. I honestly don’t think he can be judged until he’s in office. I doubt he will stick rigidly to anything much.

I think he’s honest, and well meaning. This is an absolutely huge step up.

i think he will wait until more of the brexit vote has died off, and then move towards rejoining the single market. That’ll be enough to hold the centre I think. Rejoining the EU could most likely happen from there, in a generation or so, once there is a groundswell of PR pointing out that they are part of the SM, but without a seat at the table.

• Advertisement

That just requires the govt to gently shift the narrative, without startling the horses. The really nasty considerable rump of the Tory part MPs, tho loud mouthed fools like frost , Barclay and dorries are visibly withering on the vine.

Honestly, I think that given the trade imbalance, the EU would happily read it the UK back into the single market. Back into the EU will take a different generation I’d imagine.

It wasn't and it was never used.

I don't think it does. It could be framed as a way of enhancing cooperation and trade. It wouldn't be a proper negotiation, just a recognition of standards that the UK was following fully a decade ago.

I think FoM without voting rights would be a difficult sell. I'd take it but full membership would be preferable.

You only have to google Brexit with "Lead, not Leave" and you'll find lots of references.

Anyway why are you so defensive? Do you honestly believe that there's no such thing as a condescending British europhile?

I've no interest in making your argument for you or countering arguments I never made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I never once heard that throughout my time living in the UK before or after the Brexit vote.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

For the UK to rejoin the single market might require them to join Shengen as a price for FoM. We would follow suit into Shengen in a heart beat.

None of these steps up Barnier's ladder would be on a little more than a 'needs must' basis - like solving the problems on that miserable illegal lot in the Costas, or getting in the seasonal fruit pickers so British fruit does not rot in the field.

Joining Shengen would sort out the queues at Dover and Heathrow, and allow the Brits free access to the Costas - what is not to like by the Daily Mail and Sun readers? Just tell them that FoM allows you, dear reader, the freedom of the Costas and the glorious sunshine - come and go as the fancy takes you - and no nasty queues and no visas required.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Schengen is not needed for the SM (nor for the CU) and 4 EU countries are not member of Schengen.

The queues at Dover and in airport is mostly a UK problem.

But the UK will not, I believe, be allowed to join anything but the 100% full EU - no opt-outs, everything - or continue as now with the TCA possibly with a few smaller mitigations.

It was the UK that voted for the Brexit stupidity. The UK was of course will have to handle all the unpleasantness that follows.

Lars 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think you missed the 'might' in 'might require them to join Shengan'.

I do not think the EU would ever let the UK into any part of the EU without a high price from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All Starmer has to say is that the Tory negotiated version of Brexit is a total and abject failure. That doesn't necessarily imply any criticism of the Leave vote in 2016. And yet he seems terrified to say even this, for fear that it might enrage the 'Red Wall' voters.

True but facts are disposable in discourse here. I think it's wise for him to accept to a degree that the UK is out but some of his posturing is excessive.

There'll be some accusations of remainer plotting of course but without anything concrete, he'll be fine.

The ultimate issue is how Labour wins without a broad coalition of voters. Scotland is gone and the Red Wall is now voting on a transactional basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭I told ya

The OH has a UK passport.

Went to Crete (Chania) last week from Dublin. No problem entering or leaving. They just looked at the passport and stamped it both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I always found it rather strange that Labour felt compelled to abide by the referendum result. They as an opposition party didn't hold the advisory referendum (therefore didn't 'consult' the UK public on anything), campaigned against Leave and would have been perfectly within their rights to say that they still thought Brexit was a very bad policy even though a very narrow majority had voted for it.

Post edited by Strazdas on

What's more sickening is that Brown was spinning that the UK needed the EU to tackle its own money laundering to the likes of the Caymans and Channel isles.

Really? More people voted for Brexit than for any party in the history of this country. Defying the result would have been electoral suicide for either of the two main parties.

• Advertisement

That's essentially it.

It will take a series of events like another severe Sterling devaluation for reality to hit home in poundland. Even then the thought of losing face will sustain their adherence to Brexit.

Theyll keep Brexiting until the uk itself dissolves.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,901 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ann Summers feeling those Brexit benefits.

However, Ms Gold said that the business subsequently faced “a number of challenges arising from the UK leaving the European Union”. “Initially, Brexit brought complexity and cost into the process for shipping orders to Ireland, particularly with respect to the customs requirements on importation of goods into Ireland,” she said. From September 2022, “the wider group has sadly been forced to cease to operate a direct selling business in Ireland as the higher operating costs made it uneconomical”.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I dunno.

There's already substantial evidence of widespread disenchantment with Brexit, including on the part of a large cohort of those who voted Leave.

What stops this turning into a mass Rejoin movement is, I think, a reluctance to see the Brexit wars reopened, coupled with I think a pessimistic assumption that rejoining will be long and difficult and will not result in a restoration of the UK's former position in the EU, but instead of a new position on different (and less favourable) terms.

People are not adhering to Brexit because they hail the referendum as a glorious moment of democracy which must not be betrayed by having second thoughts, but because they think it's a done deal and they don't have the heart to revisit it. They're like a country that went to war and it ended badly; they don't like the way things turned out but they've no desire to go back to war again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

I think Starmer is now adopting a position which is not just neutral but positively against re-joining the EU

In his interview on the BBC, he wants a better deal and he seems to believe that the review of the current deal will give him the opportunity to re-negotiate.

The question is, does this review facilitate a re-negotiation of the deal. ?

In the Independent , he is quoted as being firmly against re-joining

Britain’s future is outside the EU. But the paper-thin Tory deal has stifled Britain’s potential and hugely weighted trade terms towards the EU,” he said.

This does not sound lie a politician who has a nuanced position but rather that the only problem with Brexit is the deal the Tories got was not great. And he would get a better deal. (In this he sounds not unlike the very worst of Brexiteers who assured everyone that it would be the "simplest deal in history" and that "the EU need us more than we need them")

With a considerable swing in UK against Brexit, is he missing the boat in not promising to halt all divergence in rules and laws ( The bonfire of EU laws) ? Does he go along with the joining the CPTPP, and does this alignment in any inhibit re-joining the EU? It seems that Starmer wants to be all things to all men. But can he pull it off?

The path of least resistance is aligning Britain with northern Ireland.

Did he say what he wanted from a renegotiated deal at all or was he playing that one close to his chest?

If the deal can be renegotiated so that the UK can take part in some EU initiatives and align with Brussels then that can only be good for both sides. A combination of withering Europhobia and a reluctance to reopen old wounds impede the UK changing its mentality for now but the Brexit disaster will catalyse this change.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's no doubt that, even within the constraints of the Tory Hard Brexit as enshrined in the Withdrawal Agreement, there is scope for changes to the TCA that would improve the lot of the UK, and the scheduled review of the TCA could be an occasion for suggesting such changes.

The think is, within those constraints changes to the TCA can only make very marginal improvements to the UK's lot, and can only offset a very small amount of Brexit damage. If Starmer hopes to get any kudos for repairing Brexit without rejoining the EU, he needs to be much less accepting of Tory decisions to choose a maximally damaging Brexit. And if he's seen to be impotent to remediate Brexit harms in any meaningful way, that's going to be very damaging. We could even have the bizarre result in the next term of government that its the Tories, reinventing themselves while in opposition, who are the first to escape from the Brexit suicide cult, and who reap the electoral rewards of doing so.

Or perhaps aligning Britain with Ireland. 😉

1. A written constitution
    2. A President directly elected by the people
    3. A supreme court that oversees the constitution. Oh, wait, they have just done that.
    4. A voting system that give proportional representation to small parties. Probably best by STV and multi seat constituencies.
    5. A second chamber called a Senate that is directly elected for a limited term.

Perhaps doing those things might fix a few structural problems to their political system.

However, we have structural problems of our own, so maybe they need to just learn a bit from ours, and not copy the mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭Christy42

At some point the EU will get tired of renegotiating with the UK every few years. Maybe Labour argues for a closer one, then the tories pull back and then Labour go back towards the EU etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They are not rejoining the EU. Anyone who thinks it's even on the table is living in a fantasy.

The only hope is "a better deal" which in truth means alignment but you can't say that out loud in England because it means being a "rule taker".

It's great to say there people have been turning on Brexit or the polls show whatever but the polls said Brexit would never happen in the first place.

Advertisement