Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer 2023 Transfer Window - [Excluding Transfers to Saudi Arabia 25.07.23]

• 03-05-2023 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

With the news that Bellingham is allegedly close to joining Madrid, its as good a time as any for the thread.

Hugely important window coming up for a number of teams in the PL.

United are having a good season (by their recent standards) but are obviously very short on quality rotation players. I'd expect a number of departures including the likes of Maguire. Key positions are an actual striker, another DM / CM and another centre half. Depending on DDG agreeing a new deal we could be in the market for a keeper too.

Liverpool are having a poor season and the gaping holes in the middle of the field are there for all to see and the formerly ultra reliable VVD has been poor as often as he's been good.

Arse have fallen at the final hurdle with squad depth being a big part of that.

Newcastle are having an excellent season and a likely CL qualification will mean they will surely be big spenders.

Chelsea have about 47 players that will want to be starters so you'd expect a massive fire sale there considering their abysmal season.

Spurs are having a bit of a mare too and with Kane entering the last year of his contract its hard to see him staying. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ended up at Newcastle. It would be hugely ironic if he did and went on to break Shearers goal scoring record there.

City are city and will probably buy 1 or 2 back ups.

Gonna be an absolute feast of click bait crap til it shuts.

Mod Update 25.07.23: Due to massive interest in transfers to Saudi Arabia a new thread is now available to discuss transfers to that league. Transfers should only be mentioned in passing if they are to Saudi Arabia, for example Wolves sign new CM following Neves move to Saudi Arabia.

Post edited by DM_7 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Munich seemingly want to sell Mane in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

They thought they were buying the 2016-2020 LW Sadio Mane and not the 2020-2022 LW Mane. There is a reason why Liverpool bought Luis Diaz and he came into the team instantly, while Mane moved to CF.

Brilliantly player, but he is not the same player now that he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There is a slew of names who have left Klopp at Dortmund and Liverpool who have went on and struggled. Mane was declining for about 18 months before Klopp moved him centre, Diaz immediately took his LW place. Unbelievable player for us he was but he was never going to be able to sustain his acceleration and aggression into his 30s.

Aye, the pace Mane played at for most of his career was going to catch up with him eventually, the body remembers. Interesting to see where he lands.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PSG potentially to replace Messi who's out of contract? It would be right up their alley that type of signing.

• Advertisement

Good shout tbh. Nice retirement league for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Loan him out to Serie A or Ligue 1 to cover his wages I'd say, they aren't getting a fee for him due to his high wages.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Villa are being linked to everyone the past week or so.

Today linked to:

Name - transfermarkt valuation / if available on a free - club - age - caps - nationality

Denzel Dumfries RB/RM (28m euro) Inter 27yrs old 43 caps Netherlands

Marcelo Brozovic DM (28m euro) Inter 30yrs old 85caps Croatia

Dani Parejo CM (9m euro / free) Villareal 34years old 4 caps Spain

James Ward Prowse CM (38m euro) Southampton 28yrs old 11 caps England

Giovanni Lo Celso CM (18m euro) Spurs/Villareal 27yrs old 42 caps Argentina

Branco van den Boomen CM (9m euro) Toulouse 27yrs old Netherlands

Kyle Walker Peters RB (25m eurp) Southampton 26yrs old 2 caps England

Marcus Thuram CF (32m euro / Free) Bor M'Gladbach 25yrs old 10 caps France

and in the week or so previous to that:

Martin Zubimendi DM (40m euro) Real Sociedad 24 yrs old 1 cap spain

Mikel Merino CM (50m euro) Real Sociedad 26yrs old 13 caps spain

Dusan Vlahovic CF (75m euro) Juventus 23yrs old 21 caps Serbia 

Ferran Torres LWF (30m euro) Barcelona 23yrs old 35 caps Spain

Joao Palhinha DM (35m euro) Fulham 27yrs old 20 caps Portugal

Harvey Barnes LW (32m euro) Leicester 25yrs old 1 cap England

Orkun Kökçü CM (30m euro) Feyenord captain 22yrs old 20 caps Turkey 

Pau Torres CB (45m euro) Villareal 26yrs old 23caps Spain - final year of contract/30m

Moussa Dembele CF (15m euro/Free) Lyon 26yrs old 25caps France

Loucas Moura RW (10m euro / Free) Spurs 30yrs old 35caps Brazil

Samuel Iling-Junior LW (5m euro) Juventus 19yrs old 3caps England U20 - apparent 11m euro price tag

Kieran Tierney LB (25m euro) Arsenal 25yers old 37caps Scotland

James McAtee CM (6m euro) Man City / Sheff Utd 2 cpas Eng U-21

Renato Sanchez CM (20m euro) PSG 32caps Portugal

Marco Asensio RW (25m euro / free) Real Madrid 27yrs old 35caps Spain

Matteo Guendouzi CM (25m euro) Marseille 24 yrs old 7 caps France

Tammy Abraham CF (45m euro) Roma 25yrs old 11caps England

Manuel Ugarte CM (25m euro) Sporting 22yrs old 8caps Uruguay

Mane is a devout Muslim, so I think a move back to France might suit him more alright. He is meant to have got very homesick during the COVID lockdowns too. Closer to his community might help him regain some confidence. I'm not sure what the situation is like in Germany for him. There is still a very good player there, just not the one that became the world star.

Bayern Munich very cut throat there, when they have been happy to keep Chupo Moting for a few years. Then again, Mane did become one of their highest earners so they probably expect more from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Part of it is also that he's not been great for the dressing room apparently. Supposedly made a fool of Nagelsmann by disrespecting him earlier in the season in front of the whole team, and then of course hit Sane more recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got to be cut throat.

He's not delivering, get shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Any ideas what Southampton players might be staying in the PL?

JWP is on course for a PL record of most free-kick goals, iirc, so he might push for a move. Being a recent English international might help his cause (and I'm sure the English media will big him up) and, at 28, he's arguably in his peak years.

I'd like to see Bazunu join some mid-table club. He only cost 12m last summer so can't imagine he'd be too pricey. Brentford could be a go if Raya leaves on a free. Or West Ham, with Fabianski now 38.

Che Adams is a player I like and I'd love to see how he could do in a better side.

I'm not too familiar with the rest of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lavia will get snapped up I’d say. Walker Peters should really aswell. I think Bazunu might be better off staying where he is.

I did not realise that Fabianskis 38!

Bazuna might find himself battling against Kelleher to find a new club, as well as starting for Ireland. The likes of Bright & Brentford will be looking, maybe Burnley too. Bazuna might find himself having to do a year in the Champions maybe as he only moved last summer.

Lavia will be sought after by a few top clubs. Chelsea tried to buy him in the summer after only a handful of games at Southampton. Man City have a buy back option for 2024. Liverpool have sort of been linked to liking him.

Bella-Kotchup might get a nice move to a decent team. Maybe even one playing in European football, on the continent.

Livramento could get a move but he is coming off of the back of a very bad injury so it's a big risk to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kyle Walker Peters, Lavia are certainties. JWP probably is too, but wonder does the captain go down with the ship.

Would be intersesting to see where JWP ends up if he does move. Don't think any of the top sides take a look. Upper midtable/pushing teams. I think he will end up at a side similar to what Southampton were until this season, maybe Brentford, Fulham etc. Arsenal, Chelsea, City, Villa, NEwcastle don't go for him. I could actually see Liverpool make a move (not trying to say they are an upper midtable side). There is talk of them going or 3 midfielders, could see JWP being a 3rd, a rotation signing.

Bazunu will stay there imo. Hasn't had a great season, don't think any PL club will take a chance on him, unless one of the promoted teams take a look. I reckon he stays there, and hopefully has a good season in the championship and gets promoted with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'd imagine Southampton will try to keep hold of most of their recent signings that have potential for the future such as Bella-Kotchap, Livramento, Lavia and Alcaraz.

Liverpool had an agreement in place to sign Caleta-Car in January 2021 but the move collapsed because Marseille couldn't secure a replacement player. They may be tempted to follow up on that interest if Matip leaves.

Brentford are signing Mark Flekken from Freiburg as Rayas replacement so I'd say Bazunu will stay put at Southampton. Raya will probably join Spurs as Lloris replacement. Outside chance of United I suppose but if they're signing DDG to a new deal they likely have other priorities this summer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I could see JWP being a Declan Rice replacement at West Ham.

I think Walker Peters will also move on and I did see him linked to Villa (though I don't know how strong a link that was)

I would think Bazuna would stay there if he is guaranteed first team football and believes they can bounce back up.

Perhaps someone will twist their arms for someone like Lavia or Alcaraz but if bouncing back is a thing they can do they should do their best to keep hold of the young players with potential like them

I could see Mane be a target for Newcastle - would it their style well.

I didn't realise he was going to be a #1. I'd never heard of him when I saw his name linked tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That's a great shout on JWP.

He'd be a very tidy player with the right team. **** it, he'd be an an upgrade on some of the Man Utd midfield in his passing ability anyway.

He might be a good option for one of the newly promoted teams too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If Rice leaves West Ham then JWP would be an excellent signing for them.

Edit: beaten to it.

Post edited by TitianGerm on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

JWP would walk straight into the Liverpool team at the moment,and at 35/40 million it would be a perfect fit,can't see the purse strings being too open at Anfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

I could see JWP going to Brighton if they lose one of their midfielders. Would be a great fit for them and not too far a move for him either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

In light of Toney's ban, I suspect that Brentford will take the likes of Onuachu from Southampton and Thomas Frank will turn him into a goal machine.

Watching that game tonight, Real Madrid need to get the cheque book open this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jude would add a lot there. Have to wonder if they made a mistake not playing Tchouaméni and Camavinga in midfield tonight to bring a bit more industry in there. Easy to say after the fact, but they just had no control all in the middle.

Aye Modric has been a phenomenal player but he's 37 at the end of the day.

100%.

They were overrun. A bit like some of the CL ties last season too when you'd see Modric and Kroos struggle to have an impact . They got lucky often last season but their luck ran out.

Carlo seems to be very loyal to those 2 guys, and rightly so. But surely a man of his knowledge would have known they were going to get little possession last night? As you say, it needed young legs, with plenty of running in them. Camavinga was fantastic in midfield in the Bernabeu, and playing a guy as good as that out of position at LB is a total waste, considering that is where the game was ultimately decided.

• Advertisement

Probably one of the most important signings of the summer will be whoever Madrid get in to replace Carlo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Nagelsmann I reckon. Only reason he has turned down Spurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

The main one is that the club is a mess. They've no identity on what they are trying to do. If Kane leaves they'll fall well down the table.

Don't think he'd fit Madrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Brentford have signed Freiburg's keeper. Wonder where David Raya will end up now.

I see Benzema got a mad offer from the Saudis too, wonder if him leaving would tempt them into bidding for Kane.

I'd imagine they'd be more likely to go for someone younger? Maybe the Napoli guy?

latesr rumour I saw was Real might go for Firminho to hold them over before going for Mbappe (again) on a 'free' next summer.

There's one thing for sure, whether Benzema goes or not, they need to find a top striker soon. It was their weak point this season.

As class as Benzema has been, his age is catching up with him, he's more injury prone now, and that never leaves an older player.

If they are splashing the cash for Bellingham, I can't see then having much to spare for another huge name like Kane, Osimhen or similar.

• Advertisement

I wonder if Bellingham's knee injury is a bad one and is putting clubs off of signing him this summer. There's rumours of a summer 2024 release clause too.

If I was any team, I'd be making sure he passes the strictest medicals available.

He's been wearing that knee support for many months now. £100m+ is a lot of money to hand out for a guy who could end up getting a serious injury and a long lay off.

He didn't play any part of Dortmund's last games either, even while being on the bench. It must be bad enough?

Especially the last day, when it was obvious after 15min they needed him badly.

As someone said already on Boards, which was worth more to Dortmund? Winning the league, or crocking their big asset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Madrid have been relatively frugal recently so I'd say they're in position to buy virtually whoever they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Personally, I can't see Harry Kane leaving England's shores, and only for this reason

Clubs that could bid for him include the two Uniteds that are in the Champions league next season. The irony there would be if he did it in a Magpie's shirt!

After that then he would just have to look over his shoulder to see if Erling Haaland stays in England and keeps delivering 30 plus per season. He's down in 186th at the moment alongside Newcastle United's Ruel Fox. He needs only half this season's PL tally to break into the top 100.

Kane stays, but at Spurs?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Haaland gets that in another two seasons so it's moot.

They have a stadium refurb said to cost 800 to 900 million.

That's why they've been tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Kovacic to Man city gathering pace. Interesting signing, means the end of the road for one of gundo/bernardo or phillips.

Sure wasn't it already announced that Gundogen is leaving in the summer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement