Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes if build cost exceed sales cost they will stop building. They burn through cash too fast. That was exasperated the last crash for a lot of builders. When the downturn started in early 2008 many kept building to keep construction crews together.

The problem for Dublin is that 50% of construction workers travel on and out every day. Transport alone is probably 1-200/week. Construction workers only travel distance if they are being paid substantially more than locally.

You could actually see construction slow down by 20-50% in Dublin and construction increase outside Dublin as workers/sub contractors price work at lower rates to the rates they require to work in Dublin

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

We know how we ended up with landlords leaving.

It really is that simple to remove the factors that made them leave.

Assuming someone would wake up and take that step, we are left with a problem we should never have created in the first place. Which is how we get landlords back to providing rentals. AirBnBs wont be enough on their own to do that, but at least you have made long term letting attractive again.

But why dont we do what wer have been doing for years and get the big stick out on a tiny part of the problem. Beat the owners up ad we can say we did something. All the while watching others just sell up never to return.

Simple solution or stick solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yet if they have no revenue stream coming in how do the people who own these construction companies keep the wolves from the door its not like before where they could get a nice cheap loan to keep them afloat anymore that option is now gone with rate rises. The construction slowdown is country wide if anything Dublin is still the busiest spot where the majority of construction work is being done in the country. So do all of these builders who were employed become sole traders, do they hit the dole, do the emigrate. The issues facing the construction worker in 2023 is far different to the one in 2008. Add in property prices are dropping so how do you ask more for something like a new house when it has evidently become too expensive for the vast majority of the would be buyers to buy. Also 10 Billion profit made by top 50 construction companies in Ireland last year that is a lot of profit margin that could well be thinned to keep the going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

You may well be correct in terms of building slowing in Dublin, from what I can see materials volumes down considerably the last 3-4 months and seems to be on a downward trajectory since material price increases at the start of April.

Costing way to much to build now, couple that with high interest rates and fiance

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭hometruths

If an LL chooses to cease long term rentals, exits the market and sells the house that is not entirely unhelpful.

The problem is with landlords exiting long term rental market and moving to STLs or leaving the property vacant.

I believe we should be making it more attractive for private landlords to be in the long term rental market, it's just that I think we should be using the carrot and the stick.

• Advertisement

We live in a country in which tax policy experts have designed such an efficient corporation tax regime that we're brazenly eating half the globe's lunch, and we're doing it so well that we can afford to say we don't want another 13bn in tax from one of the world's largest companies despite the fact the EU Commission are going to great lengths and legal fees to force us to accept it.

Against this backdrop it's amazing how many people think a vacancy tax is too complicated for Ireland to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Developers are not going to build if they aren't making profit, and they are certainly not going to build at a loss. This is fantasy land wishful thinking stuff.

Even if they wanted to, nobody is going to finance it.

I'd agree that they are not going to build at a loss.

But if there is a meaningful zoned land tax what will they do with their land banks?

A decent sized site inside the M50 with planning could attract an annual tax north of €1m.

Will they pay that every year until such time they can build at a profit?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

Taxes will be designed so that they are tiny and trivial to pay. See LPT.

• Advertisement

Residential Zoned Land Tax (RZLT) is an annual tax. It is calculated at 3% of the market value of land within its scope. It will apply from 2024 onwards.

I'd argue 3% of a prime Dublin site with planning permission is not trivial. A future government could increase it if it is not having the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The workers are already self employed…most labour in building is via sub-contractors.

Once again 10 Billion profit made last year from the top 50 construction companies in the country its hardly chump change. Then you have to consider the reason why property prices are going down as this is a sure sign that affordability is eating into demand so people simply cannot afford the current price point - So what do these developers do, they are currently seeing a healthy profit and property prices dropping in price due to affordability it seems to go against the grain to think that developers will not be impacted by this new paradigm.

I can only see 3 outcomes for Irish developers as prices are going to continue dropping.

1: government steps in with further goodies to keep these cowboys ticking over. (Number 1 will be off the table once Sinn Fein get in)

2: Developers sit on their hands and a lot of them will go to the wall. ..

3 Developers cut their profits and continue building.

in your head the only way forward is for property prices to rise as that is the only developers keep getting the profit margin they have been getting, which is not going to happen you only need to look globally at what the rate hikes are doing to property why people thought Ireland was going to be immune is bonkers. Already 6 months of price drops in Dublin.

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Murph3000

https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/personal-finance/2023/05/30/house-prices-updates/

Its interesting that UK also saw big price boom during covid period. They are quickly approaching year on year drops being reflected in the figures. Will be interesting to see if that prompts bigger drops.

Ireland are a bit behind UK on rate increase process.

But hey, this next next year we could be looking at another 10 percent increase, who knows.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Once again, those projects commenced some years ago, the prospects of selling all those units were favourable. If those same developers were commencing the design/planning stage today, would they be as optimistic? I don’t think so, there is a good chance that if you polled all those developers today and asked them would they start over, they would say no, the conditions are not the same, costs would increase, selling prices may decrease and there is a risk of recession.

SF may be many things, I’d say one of them is pragmatic, if they want developers to build, they will need more carrot than stick. There is a knowledge/experience imbalance, developers are in the property game a long time, SF are puppies trying to run with big dogs.

Irish depositors can get a rate of 3.6 percent via Raisin bank. Over a short 6 month term. Of course they would have to essentially move their money outside the Country. Risk free and guaranteed.

The best mortgage rate currently available is less at 3.55 percent via Avant.

What this does mean?, seems bizarre. This points to some kind of dysfunction in the property\banking market. I don't know if it points to down or up though 😂.

Dysfunction in the banking market? That's so 2008. This time it's different!

Carrot really at this point I think all of the carrots are gone, I mean how much more carrot do they need already First time buyers grants, help to buy grants, rebuilding Ireland home loans, 3 to 1 going to 4 to 1 with regards to mortgage lending ratios, not to mention the favorable rental rates local councils are paying for REITS and other investors to buy and rent to the local councils, then HAP so those on the lower wage can rent then of course the corpo tax rates....All of which have aided in upping the price of our housing market. The carrot has been tried and tried time for the stick we need a real upping of vacant site taxes 10% a year would see these boyos building or selling and getting someone else in who can do it cheaper. Sinn Fein have been very vocal about developers and how they will be dealing with them and it isnt carrot.

Almost all projects are done on a phased basis its very rare to see development x 200 houses all built together, normally they do it blocks of 20/30/40 sell these then use the profits to build the next lot so regardless of the commencements the most recent lot of houses built (completed) will be under huge price pressure put it this way the norm has been phase one house A costs X and Phase 2 House B costs X + 5%/10% this will be reversing. Also Selling prices are decreasing (no maybe about it) and if interest rates hikes keep going up (another 2 before the end of July) we will definitely be in a recession by the end of the year

Stamp duty cuts in the uk during Covid accelerated price growth there

I dont think we are far from an exodus from the Irish banks. The Irish have big deposits earning nothing, eventually people will wake up and start pulling money out.

Imagine if someone like Revolut were to offer a fixed term deposit rate.

If people start pulling money out, banks would be forced to start upping there own deposit rates and their mortgage rates which could squeeze affordability further.

• Advertisement

And what assets could the banks hold to enable them to pay higher deposit rates?

Really depends on whether they want developers to build. If developers aren’t confident about profit/sales, then they will not build, that is the reality.

I really don’t get the enmity some have towards developers, they are business people like any other. Even if they do build in phases, they won’t want unfinished sites because sales dried up or costs are too high. If there is a recession looming, plenty of business owners will be carefully weighing up whether now is the right time to be investing.

I think Revulot is fantastic, but would I put large amounts of money on deposit with them? No, not at this stage. There are already ways of placing deposits in banks outside Ireland, Raisin.ie will do that for you, but I’m not sure how popular that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I think the issue here is for the vast majority of people, they don’t have ‘that much’ on deposit. Even if you had €20k. If you could manage to get even a 2% return from a bank. That’s €250 odd after DIRT. Hardly worth the hassle.

For those with bigger sums to invest (typically older). They won’t trust the likes of Raisin or Revolut (and I’d tend to agree with them).

People can already get nearly 3% on Irish government bonds if they just call up Davy and get them to administer it (there is some cost but it’s still well worth it). But the reality is the vast majority don’t bother because it’s just not worth the hassle/they’re not financially literate enough to look into it.

I really doubt the Irish banks are too concerned about a run on deposits seeking higher yield at this stage.

Does anyone know why our banks are being relatively slow to increase mortgage rates?

We had highest rates in EU when ECB rate was zero, and now we have some of the lowest rates when ECB rate is almost 4%.

I used to think I understood why our rates were higher than European peers, but that logic should have seen our rates shoot higher and faster.

Current situation seems very odd.

in your head the only way forward is for property prices to rise

Absolutely not, and perhaps this is where your confusion lies, thinking anyone who doesn't believe the arse is going to fall out of things must think prices will continue to rise.

My argument, same as it has been all along, is that you cannot have your cake and eat it. A world where prices drop, supply remains constant and everyone picks up cheaper houses just does not exist. It is an oxymoron, fantasy land stuff.

Prices are dropping. If profits drop, developers will absolutely, without any question whatsoever, cut their output. Why? Because they are not idiots, and they're not going to build if they aren't making satisfactory profit.

Any reduction in supply is ultimately going to put the brakes on any price drops. It may not stop the drops, but it is absolutely going to slow them.

Raisin Bank are nothing like any Irish bank (or indeed, like most banks people would ever consider putting their savings into).

Raisin, as far as I remember, provide finance to other banks that can't obtain their own finance. The guarantee in their situation is a bit murkier.

They aren't paying higher rates for the craic, it's cause there's more risk involved.

My argument, same as it has been all along, is that you cannot have your cake and eat it. A world where prices drop, supply remains constant and everyone picks up cheaper houses just does not exist. It is an oxymoron, fantasy land stuff.

And my argument, same as it has been all along is that through policy choices, some deliberate and some with unintended consequences, is that a particular cohort - property owners/investors - have been having their cake and eating it for the guts of a decade.

This is a world where prices rise, supply remains tight, and everyone picks up capital gains/increased yield.

A deliberate reversal of policy would reverse those conditions, and houses would be cheaper.

A world where prices drop, supply remains constant and everyone picks up cheaper houses is politically difficult, but it is not fantasy land stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Would be interested to hear if anyone actively looking has seen any weakness in the new build market. Locally it seems like nothing but upward bound. Seems like barely a year that 3bed semis in greystones exceeded 500k and am seeing the new phases have now gone over 600k and still selling out. Certainly not a hint of price drops in subsequent phases

CSO stats would agree with what I’ve observed. Annual inflation rate in new builds is accelerating, and quickly. Up 11% in the last 12 months, higher than any point during the COVID boom and the highest since 2016. Up 6% in the last 6 months alone.

Perhaps just a few quarters behind second hand homes and will go into reverse later this year but certainly haven’t seen any sign of it yet.

• Advertisement

The banks are using the low deposits rates they are paying to subsidise mortgage rates. They are still awash with deposits and the lack of competition means they are not afraid of people moving funds chasing rates.

Advertisement