Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The akrapovic exhaust is on it, which adds about 5 grand the last time I looked... My car was in or around 55k in 2021. I don't have that exhaust or the sunroof so add ~6.5k and we're in the low 60's. How it jumps to 80k+ is anyone's guess...

You can get a Tesla model 3 performance for a bit over 50k now...!

The colour is terrible for a GTI too, I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

those are hilarious prices really. Is someone really spending €97k on an R? in 2015 i spec’ed one to €52k, but instead went with the new bmw 4 series for €2k more (I thought the R would depreciate more. In reality it was the opposite).

in 2010 I bought a 4.5year old low mileage mk5 gti for €13.5k. It had cost a ridiculous €40k new - with air con, Vienna leather, & dsg (brand new technology at the time and all the unknown worry about gearbox oil etc), and the Original owner also added a few grand’s worth of genuine bbs 18’s and adjustable coilovers.

sold it when it was 6 years old for €10.5k

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Excited to see the first 100k R. If we get any of the special edition 333 R we should see it happen!

I can’t see VW Ireland bringing those in! It’s clear that they’ve lost the Irish market with the Golf R, and it was a fairly buoyant market for them 5/6 years ago. The cool kids are probably more interested in the EV’s now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Agreed. Also, I think the advent of PCP and easy finance has greatly diminished the exclusivity and desirability of performance cars like the VW GTI and it's derivatives.

Lesser known marques of EV can now give the buzz of hot hatch performance, especially 0-100kph, for a lower buying price plus less extortionate insurance costs.

• Advertisement

In the Irish market from about 2000-2016, new hot hatches have been bought by reasonably well-heeled 30-50yo men who are ‘car guys’, who viewed them as great value versus something like an rs4 for double the money.

and hot hatches depreciated like rocks back then, so the car guys picked them up for a song a few years old.

now a gti is RS3 money, and selling in tiny numbers as a result.

a base gti is more expensive than a model 3 performance now - which the well heeled middle aged buyer above sees as a much more sensible option

lads paying €70k for a model 3 performance when it came out first saw it as a cheap bmw m3. Now that M3P costs €53k and the bmw m3 is about €150k optioned.

yes - the old hot hatch buyer is now buying EV’s.

the mk7 gti will be the last mass market hot hatch (mass market in an Irish context). There’s a couple of Hyundai i30N around, and even fewer Civics.

Post edited by sk8board on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

My 151 lapiz blue 5 door DSG was bought new in march 2015 for €44500 !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I see the Pilot Sport 5 was near the bottom of most categories against the new Eagle F1 AS6 and PremiumContact 7 among others.

A departure from the PS4 being near the top of every category and one of the best all rounders.

How do people choose their tyres? Whenever anyone asks for recommendations everyone has different preferences. Do you go with the cheapest as there all UHP tyres at the end of the day, tick with the brand you know, go with the best all rounder at the time?

I don't have many options on my Born but it looks like Michelin prices have skyrocketed in the last 6 months. I was looking forward to trying the PS4 S but they've gone up around €50 to €300 per tyre. For comparison, the Potenza S001 is about €75 less and the P Zero €100 less. It looks like the slightly wider 235 are a tiny bit cheaper. The joys of narrow 7.5 20" wheels.

A significant price difference but the normal PS4 is a fantastic tyre...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Look up the UUHP tests they did.

The Continental Sport Contact 7 came out on top by a long way, I've a set of them on my Golf R and it's the best tyre I've ever used. Way ahead of the Michelin PS4S I had before them.

I've also had Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 5, Continental Sport Contact 5 and Kumho PS71 (never again) but these new Continentals are exceptional in all conditions but especially wet grip. They've literally transformed the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭User1998

I found P Zero’s to be awful compared to PS4’s. I’d avoid those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

Potenza's were the worst premium tyres I've ever used. Good in the dry but awful in the wet, no use in Ireland anyway in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭Killinator

Have the Conti Sports aswell, had them on my last few cars and wouldn't feel the need to try any other tire

How's the wear on the Contis? Always heard they had shorter lifespan. The PS4 have decent life on them so helps offset the cost. Not sure if the Sports are an option for my size but I'll have a look, might only be the Premium Contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Quick question for those in the know....MK7 and MK7.5 Golf R estate, were they sold new in Ireland? I know there is very few around, and those all seem to be imports

never sold new here no. Any you've seen are UK / NI imports.

A few of the mk7 estates are from Japan too. Not too sure about mk7.5 tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 klopp74

Interesting call from my dealer earlier in the week as PCP up next January. Have a 2021 GTI manual (wanted manual) on PCP. Ended up trading in Tiguan I owned outright, covered the 30% and got a good bit of cash back. Added a few extras and rate was 1.9% and got a good deal - €2k better than other dealers. Explained above to him and said car only has about 24 thousand km’s - a few usual nicks on alloys and just had its second service. Casually asked him what would I get for trade in and noted issue that current PCP rate is 9.9%. Said he would check and in fairness called me back very quickly - my guess of 35k was confirmed. I know it is difficult for them to predict future value and cover themselves - same boat for me - can’t confirm price, rate etc. so think I will be buying it out. Just brought it home to me how difficult and changed the market is - priced a new GTI same spec on VW site - more or less 10k more than I paid!

Post edited by klopp74 on

Presume you mean 2021 GTI rather than 2011?

9.9% APR.... holy cow! To think I got 0% less than 2 years ago. It seems to me that PCP is dead in the water and like you I think I'll be buying mine out when the time comes. The cars are gone way too expensive now. I honestly don't know how they're shifting them at all.

I also think the performance petrol VW's are on their last lap, it's clear VW themselves are phasing them out. I've very little interest in any of their EV range. Interesting (or not?) times ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 klopp74

Sorry typo yes Feb 2021! They are a great car apart from the touchscreen but I agree performance VW’s are on their last lap and I have no interest in their EV’s either…

assuming that’s roughly €20k of depreciation after 2 years, that’s about right for a €55k car if this was a normal market.

things are definitely reverting to the norm across the whole market really.

like you, we’ll probably buy ours out when this latest 0% pcp ends next year, and sit out the market for a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Has Brexit completely screwed up looking up north for a car?

Any rough guess at what would this work out to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Facelifted Mk8 on the way:

I think you would need to be wearing a VW anorak to spot the exterior differences. Inside the biggest changes are with the heavily criticized infotainment system.

Those pics have been floating around for at least a year. Not sure why they’re reappearing again this week.

VW facelifts tend to be very mild. If there is one I wouldn’t expect to see it for at least another 12 months. And even then it won’t be seen often, with the move to EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Resurfaced on Autoexpress (I know, the motoring equivalent of the The Sun tabloid) and they claim it goes on sale later this year or early next year.

Is there any hints about what's being refreshed? They're half arsing the ID.3 facelift by not giving it physical steering wheel buttons and the RHD market is being left with the old 10" display while the LHD market gets the 12" that the Born has always had.

I don't think there's been as much criticism about the Golf? Only thing I can think of is the gear selector is silly which obviously won't be changed on a facelift and the stock 17" wheels are fugly and cheap looking.

What’s wrong with the gear selector? Sure, I do miss the old larger “knob” (ohhh!) but the need for that is gone and it’s not coming back, it’s all electronic now and that has its advantages, much easier to go from fwd to reverse, no need to put the box into Park when parking… for example.

The standard 18’s on the GTI are dreadful but most have them upgraded to 19’s.

As for what gets refreshed - look at the Mk 7.5. It’ll be similar to that - very subtle. Tweaks to the front and rear end, no significant, if any, panel changes and a few interior tweaks. Probably a larger screen. I don’t see anything major happening. E.g. reverting back to physical buttons as that would require an all-new dash, re-tooling etc and I don’t think they’ll do that for a facelift on an ICE car. They might revert to physical buttons on the wheel. Personally I’d see that as a retrograde step. I quite like the haptic steering wheel buttons.

regardless I will be keeping the one I have!

• Advertisement

The gear selector itself is fine, I was thinking since it's all electronic it should be moved up to the steering column like the ID.3 then realised I'm an idiot because manual cars still exist and they obviously wouldn't do tooling/production for both!

I don't mind the haptic steering wheel buttons either. I know VW have said they're going to move back to buttons somewhere, I assume the steering wheel is the easiest/cheapest place to do it. I don't even mind the haptic climate controls other than not being lit up at night and even than it's not hard to do while driving.

Advertisement