Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Would Strava count from you press start and Garmin counts from when you start moving? (I have no idea)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Possibly but on that particular spin, I've no idea how they downsized me by 0.7km/h.

I'd say part of it is compensating for the initial startup as Garmin doesn't record under something like 5km/h and maybe strava thinks it takes me say 10 seconds to get to there from standstill whereas Garmin is taking it as say 5 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Strava always deducted ~0.5kmh from that indicated on my old Garmin 520 for some weird reason that I could never figure out. It didn't matter whether or not I had the speed sensor connected. It always puzzled me. For lots of reasons average speed doesn't bother me anymore so I never really looked into it in a big way.

About 2.5 years ago after my Garmin battery couldn't hold charge for more than 45mins, I bought a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt and to my surprise, Strava now increases the average speed by 0.1 - 0.3kmh. Really weird.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

possibly, but typically a year ago you might have lost 0.1-0.2km/h. recently, that has increased, and for typically the same cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

I refer to it as Strava tax, last night's spin on Garmin was 28kph avg and Strava deducted .2 giving me 27.8kph.

I'm still using the Garmin 520. On group rides the Wahoo 'rs are always ahead of me on Strava even though they were actually behind me on the road 🙃

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DrumcDub1

Anyone every used this? Looks good value https://www.bulk.com/ie/complete-hydration-drink.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭thebourke

how many cyclists have died on the road so far this year?

We were discussing the "Strava Tax" the other day. On my commute this morning, I seemed to get hit with a rake of taxes...

Garmin:

Strava:

Now my Garmin has underread the elevation when compared to Strava for quite some time but I'm surprised at the time difference between the two. The only thing I can think of is when I was stopped at traffic lights which seems unfair as I think I only had to stop once as for once the lights favoured me but why would Strava consider this as moving time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the elevation difference is easy to understand. my assumption is garmin discounts movement at speed below a certain speed, differentlyto strava - so strava records more time moving, and the extra time moving is movement at extremely low speeds. whether that would make up a one minute difference is another matter.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 368 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Garristown tragedy.

don't know what went wrong there, something did anyway; thebourke asked how many cyclists have died so far this year.

if this link is accurate, we've had one cyclist fatality this year so far.

https://www.garda.ie/en/roads-policing/statistics/roads-policing-fatalities-to-date-for-2023/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

In the republic it might be right. This past week there was also a tragedy in Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

I lost my garmin 530 in Blessington last Sunday, if anyone found it or knows who did please let me know?

it's in a blue case and has a crack on the screen

it's AGS stats, so wouldn't be for the whole island.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

If you search for a free garmin on adverts.ie, someone posted that they found a Garmin around saggart at the weekend that they are trying to reunite with the owner. I can't be certain of the model or the exact location

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

Thanks unfortunately not mine.

I've posted on loads of cycling groups and the gardai will let me know if anyone hands it in.

cycled home from bloom today through tolka valley park. slight delay on getting through one of the kissing gates while two preteens manouvered their ponies through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looking at the pictures of the car parks that seemed the best way of going there.

always put off driving to events like that because of trying to park (obviously been in donegal means driving)

spent time sorting out pots and painting shed doors.

garden still amazingly green despite no significant rain since 20th may

• Advertisement

i should offer my driveway to boardsies who want to park and cycle. 7.3km from here, though in that weather (even though i was leaving the house before 8:30am) i was sweating like a bastard when i arrived.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Catastrophic derailleur failure this morning. The derailleur itself just snapped. I was setting off from lights.

Never had this happen before. Not sure if was derailleur or the chain because that got ripped open. Luckily nothing into the wheel or anything

have never seen one snap like that before. was it shimano?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Campag centaur. Only hours after me bigging it.

It was shifting perfectly. We've had loads of people come and go doing work on the house so possible something has knocked into it but otherwise I'm flummoxed.

I've sent a mail off to campag as that shouldn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Off chance anyone know a Killiney-based David Bolger? Wallet found, tenuous cycling connection, someone asked me so thought I'd throw the net a bit further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭JMcL

I'd say give it to the Guards if you've no joy - they should be able to track him you'd hope

Is there anyone really that "into" cycling that doesn't have a cycling club close by?

Does driving to meet a club defeat the purpose?

How far would you drive?

Apologies for coming in with questions but if there was a club in my village i would join it in the morning. There's a good one a 20 min drive away.

20 minutes being 20km away or thereabouts?

any other people nearer you into cycling, who you could form an informal club with?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

quite a few people drive to the start of our club spins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Advertisement