Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Moran: Codebreaker (RTE One)

• 29-05-2023 9:34pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Documentary on the Dublin footballer/Man Utd player just starting now.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't know Fred Cogley presented GAA coverage.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

That record fee for Robson is pennies now.

Good to see English people not butcher his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,897 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I had always known he had played GAA, but just as a wee bit of info.

Didn't realise he won all Ireland. And was so good.

Jimmy liked mentioning his Gaelic Football background.

• Advertisement

That was enjoyable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Looks as fit now as he was 30 years ago, must have some constitution! Neville Southall and Norman Whiteside have really put on the pounds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Great documentary, enjoyed every second of it ,

A great bit of stuff was Kevin on a football field . Afraid of nobody / nothing .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Enjoyed it also but would have liked to seen a bit more about his stint in Spain. Its the part of his career that I really dont know much about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,287 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jaysus for 67 he looks fresh, doing something right. Alan Shearer joined Blackburn rovers in 1992, Moran left in 1994, they won the Premier League in 1994-1995, never knew they overlapped like that.

Decent documentary, good to see so many ex-players taking part in it, big plus for RTE 👍️

• Advertisement

Priceless to see him in that gaa game with a pulled hamstring and a split head, soldiering on.

In contrast to today's modern stars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Funny comment from Robson about Gordon Strachan leaving Aberdeen for Man Utd to get away from Fergie and look who shows up at Man Utd a few years later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

He was a hardy buck.

63 stitches from various head injuries in one season. Geeing up the crowd from the stetcher after a really nasty one- lads today wouldn't be seen for weeks.

Really enjoyable documentary. That class Bernard Brogan goal vs. Kerry in 77 featured a lot of hand-passing, and me thinking it was a modern 'scourge'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I enjoyed it a lot though helps perhaps if you are a Dub and Man Utd fan!

Could have been easily 90 minutes long. Perhaps also with some more context explaining gaelic football they might be able to resell to Man Utd TV or Sky.

Interesting about Frank Stapleton being pushed back into defence when Moran was sent off in FA cup final & Paul McGrath mortified about the poor pass he gave which forced Moran into the tackle.

The comment about Mal Donaghy was a bit deceptive as Donaghy played most of his games at full back - Moran was really replaced by Steve Bruce. For the players he off loaded Ferguson tried to do it in such a way as to give them fair chance at a good deal eg here letting Moran and Stapleton go on a free transfer where they were able to sign lucrative (for the time) deals abroad.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought it was a very good documentary. I would have liked a bit more on his time after United, but it was well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

If this is a series then Jim Stynes was another even greater Codebreaker.

Unfortunately his exploits were less reported in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭fran38

Could have expanded on both his stints with Dublin, Man U, Sporting Gijon and more on stuff with Ireland. A three parter would have been extensiv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,473 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

That Irish era is done to death though. Literally the same perspective and footage in every documentary.

Would have liked to have seen more footage of the rest of his soccer career alright, and didn't he become a sports agent after he retired from playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

I thought it was very good overall but ended a little too quickly for my liking could have easily had another half an hour.

Thoroughly enjoyed this show. Moran is a sporting legend. There'll never be the likes of him produced again and as you rightly said, he looks in great nick. He actually had very toned-looking arms on him.

That all said, I'm actually shocked he's still alive, or at least shocked he's not a vegetable from the clatters he got 🤣 That clatter especially for United against Arsenal when he fainted was sickening. When you think of Ryan Mason's horrific career-ending injury and also Jimenez for Wolves... its a miracle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dublin49

I always felt he was a brillant Gaelic Footballer ,could have been an all time great, but a very limited but hugely effective soccer player.I think he made it at soccer because he was a supreme athlete ,insanely brave and commited with a fantastic attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I read a quote about Moran dunno who wrote it ... kinda echoes your comment. He just seemed to he unfazed by the level and got on with the job.

"Kevin Moran is an average player, but he's an average player in every game, which is the best compliment I can give him."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Had some game in Stuttgart all the same against England

Neville Southall

Jabba the Hut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Enjoyed it, as others said possibly a two parter would have given a more complete picture.

Some man running around with a torn hamstring in an All Ireland final though. That's serious pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,965 ✭✭✭enricoh

Serious engine on him moving with the ball. I'd say there was sod all between him n jack McCaffrey. Great positive attitude from him, a good lad to go for a few pints with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Kerry teams always hand passed their way to All Irelands . The worst I’ve seen is 86 against Tyrone they hand passed up the pitch to handpass to Spillane to palm in

At least they handpassed forwards.

Some teams now spend so much time handpassing sideways and backwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Hooked

Finally finished watching this on the RTE player during tea breaks at work... As a Liverpool supporter and Limerick man, I knew very little about Kevin's Dublin GAA background and great career at United. Thoroughly enjoyed it... And at the risk of sounding a bit "laddish", he may have aged well - but wow - his wife is a fine looking lady! LOL

Could you imagine a fairy like Neymar, Bruno Fernandez or those other 'modern footballers' trying to survive on a pitch with the likes of Kevin and co back in the 80/90's... Just goes to show how soft the game (and the players) have gotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Advertisement