Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enoch Burke turns up to school again despite sacking - read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Tork

It's down to what his mother thinks about this. When you watch the way the family interact with her, it's obvious that she's very much calling the shots. Her kids are her envoys being sent out into the world to fight against the ills of modern living. If Enoch came home some day and said he didn't want to "turn up for work" any more, I don't think it'd go down well. We'll probably never know what his real thoughts are on this because he's still a puppet of his parents. They're egging Enoch, Ammi and Simeon on, despite all three needlessly destroying their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭RonanG86

He can't resign if he's sacked surely?

He should just stop going to a place where he has no business and where there is an injunction telling him not to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It's a bit like Garda Vetting... if you've never been caught yet, your record will be clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It would be funny if they wrote back and said :

I am afraid we cannot accept your resignation as you no longer work here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭juno10353

Is Simeon still in prison?

No. He was only remanded in custody in the first place because he refused to accept bail.

He was convicted and received a €300 fine (which he refuses to pay) and was sent home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The injunction is to stop him attending the school premises which isn't quite the same as being ordered to stay away. There's nothing that specifies a distance etc. that he has to stay away from the school. Can he be considered to be attending the school if he's standing outside of the gate? If outside of the school gate is a public place, he may not be attending the school as he is 'outside of the wall' so to speak. Again, as I've said earlier, that depends on whether outside of the gate is a public place or not.

I agree with most of the rest of your post such as the school playing the long game and letting the law deal with him. I think that's the correct way to play it.

What I don't agree with is your paragraph about the fear element. It's a stretch to say that Burke is the reason there's increased aggression towards trans/non binary people or the inspiration for the guys that beat up the kid in in Navan. Burke has never once hinted at violence towards trans people so while I disagree with Burke's actions, I can be objective enough to say that Burke is nothing like the people who beat up the kid in Navan because Burke has always been non-violent. There's been no reports whatsoever that he ever made any threats towards trans kids, never shouted at them, harassed them etc. The only people Burke got stroppy with were adults.

As an aside, trans people/gay people/most people that are a bit different have always been picked on. It's not right for sure and needs to be stopped but it was always there, Burke didn't create it. In the broad scheme of things, there's very few people supporting Burke's actions. Look at this thread for example, there's hardly 1% of posters supporting Burke. The vast vast majority don't agree with his actions.

Another point about attacks on trans people. The fact that there's far more trans people now than 30 years ago is probably why more incidents are happening, or at least coming to the public's attention. 30 years ago the only trans person I knew was Lydia Foy but now I know several. I'm saying this in jest (to make a serious point) but 30 years ago if I wanted to kick the crap out of a trans person, my only choice would be Lydia because she was the only trans person I knew. Nowadays, I'd have loads to choose from. Another way of putting it to further make the point is that there's far more muslims in Ireland now so attacks in Ireland on muslims is way up on what it was in 1066.

Anyway, what did you have for your tea? I'd mince meat, potatoes, peas and carrots. It was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Yep, he would have had to pass safeguarding if he's working with U18's or vulnerable adults. I think they have to be updated from time to time but I'm not sure. I passed my safeguarding checks in 2021 and my boss has mentioned that they have to be done again at some stage in the future but unfortunately I wasn't listening when she said when that was as I think it was a few years away at the time.

I don't see why he wouldn't pass the safeguarding checks. He's never behaved inappropriately with children, he's only behaved inappropriately with adults.

I doubt he'd have to undergo a psychological assessment as they don't require other teachers to undergo them. And what would a psychological assessment reveal. All it would reveal is that he doesn't believe a boy can be a girl or that he likes to try bully adults when he doesn't get his own way. Due to freedom of religious expression, I don't think that would bar him from teaching nor would throwing a strop because he didn't get his own way. What he would probably fall foul of are equality laws, but he wasn't sacked from Wilson's because of those laws. He was sacked for his behaviour at the school function.

I don't think there are any laws stating that he can't be the person to deliver subpoenas. Are there any reports of him threatening them or interacting with them negatively or did he just hand them the subpoenas. I absolutely don't agree with him showing up at someone's house at 10:50 at night for sure and someone doing that at my house would get shown the gate very quickly. He was acting the boll1x there for sure and yes, there probably was an element of him wanting to annoy (or to use your word 'intimidate') them by personally delivering the subpoenas. That said, it's actually hard to use him doing something legal such as personally delivering a subpoena or calling to someone's house at 10:50pm and asking where's her husband as evidence that he'd be a danger to kids. It's a d1ck move, but not criminal.

Burke must have travelled from Mayo to Cork if he delivered the subpoena himself. Daddy must have one hell of a fuel bill every week.

Those actions above show that he's a d1ck, but my view is that it doesn't show that he's a danger to children.

• to be fair 300km round trip + standing outside school all day or sitting at a petrol station in the case of Sean, is a more tantalising prospect than spending the day with Martina.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭juno10353

@Loueze

Thank you. Had missed Simeons update amid all the Burke chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 5,066 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Does whatever church they belong to have an equivalent of a bishop or whatever who might have a quiet word with him and tell him to cop himself on, or is the mother basically the supreme leader?

The injunction is to stop him attending the school premises which isn't quite the same as being ordered to stay away.

I would consider that is exactly what it is.

I'll let you continue quibbling over the difference between "not attend the school premises" an "stay away from the school premises".

It just sounds like semantics, to me.

As for the gate, I bet if the staff or students stood just outside the gate smoking cigarettes, they'd be told pretty quickly to stop, that it was part of the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They are - as far as I know - members of the evangelical wing of the COI. Given their behaviour it may very well be the mother who is the "supreme leader"

They don't seem to be part of any other church. Other evangelical/christian chuches have reached out to them, to try and mediate in some way, but the Burkes weren't receptive.

There's an interesting interview with Mike Garde from Dialogue Ireland in the Sunday World. It's from last March but I've only seen it now. The gist of it is that they're a closed unit and a family group who aren't open to listening to outside opinions

“The family are not connected to any evangelical church and do not communicate with those around them in Mayo. They are just an own-brand closed family group.”

Other Evangelical Christians in the area had been hoping to open a dialogue with the Burkes a number of years ago but these attempts were unsuccessful.

“Over the last five years I’ve been getting calls from the Mayo area and have been trying to assist them because they’ve found they can’t connect with the Burkes. We suggested they invite them to a meeting to discuss things but they’re so cut off that even family members can’t even go to the property to talk to them.”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,601 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Exactly. The discussion about whether the land boundary extends to the center of the road, or if its the gates that count, or is it technically a "public place" between the gate etc, it's all irrelevant.

He is clearly and purposefully making a substantial journey to stand outside a facility he has been ordered not to attend. There is a clear and undeniable intent in his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What Penn said.

You'd need to look at the exact terms of the injunction to see what it forbids, but its very unlikely that its effect is in any way tied to exactly where the land boundary lies, or where the road reserve ends.

But an injunction is granted on application by someone (in this case, the school) who has a legitimate right or interest that needs protecting. It's then up to that someone to initiate enforcement of the injunction, if and when it's breached. If the person who it was granted to protect isn't looking to get it enforced it, the agents of the state aren't going to rush to enforce it.

So, if Enoch continues hanging around the school gate, the school has a decision to make; do we try to get a stop put to this with all the resultant fuss and attention and expense, and giving Enoch all the publicity and attention he craves, or do we put up with it as the lesser evil? It's a pragmatic decision for them to make, and which they are entitled to make with their own interests, and those of their students, in mind.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭BK5

Just thinking here, is his father aiding or getting himself involved with someone who is defying a court order?

Don't know the law on this but would love to see the oul fella arrested and Enoch left stranded outside the very place he's not supposed to be at in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,493 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It'll be the summer holidays soon sure, Enoch will get a break. Or perhaps he'll continue to sit outside an empty school?

I hope he has been using sunblock these last few days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Dr Devious

Wouldn't it be great if someone could place a listening device in the car when the whole lot of them are on the way up or down from a day in court, what on earth would the conversation amongst them be like?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I imagine it would not be unlike those evangelical services in the States; plenty of praying and banging on about how righteous they are and how they must serve God.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭archermoo

My understanding is that he has only been going to the school on days that a teacher would be required to attend. I am sure to continue in his fantasy that he still works there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,347 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I often heard stories of a Mayo group of nuns who would head off to Dublin for the day. The passengers saying the rosary all the way, probably a good idea given the abilities of the driver.

(they were a teaching order and the beans were spilled by a lay teacher who got a lift the odd time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I believe he is relying on the age old ‘Not touching, can’t get mad. Not touching, can’t get mad’ defence.

I think Lionel Hutz has been advising in secret…..

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Strike me as more akin to the Baptist Church, or Plymoth Breathern or some of the "Dippers".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭Odhinn

During the initial row, he gave out to the principal for not following COI teachings, despite him being of the same sect (sorry I've no link for that).

What do you mean by the same sect? My understanding is that the school is a Church of Ireland school but that Enoch doesn't have any ties to the religion. The Burkes are a standalone religious cult who don't have any dealing with any other religious folk. He probably got the job there because he was a non-Catholic, rather than because he was some way connected to the C of I.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

The principal is Catholic anyway and attended Catholic schools when he was young.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

SFAIK the Burkes are not members of any church.

Alternatively, they have set up their own independent church, of which they are the only members.

Advertisement