Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinion on Scope

Options
  • 30-05-2023 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently got a Ruger 10/22 and am planning on using it for gallery shooting. I'm looking for opinons on a scope to get. I've no preference or experience when it comes to scopes so please feel free to make suggestions.

Looking at a Hawke Vantage IR ~ 6-24×50 AO IR (Mil Dot) a few reviews I've read say its okay and the price point is afordable. Has anybody experience of this scope. I don't know if good eyesight is part of scope choice but I haven't got great eyesight and wear glasses.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

A lot of scope for gallery shooting, but good for when you want to shoot 100m. A lot if people are using the 6 to 18 x 50mm Bushnell banner or 4 to 16 x 50mm (as I do for SB and CF)

Don't get a scope that has a 'first focal plane' reticle, not great for gallery shooting IMO.

Also as your eyesight is sh!te I would go for an objective lens of 50mm for a brighter image, again as I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

How to properly set riflescope diopter - YouTube

Don't worry about your eye sight, the scope can be adjusted to suit most vision levels, for gallery most people use a scope that has a plain reticle, you don't want too many hash marks clogging up your view when aiming at the target if you are shooting timed practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Vector optics Sentinel is a 10-40x50 with a 30mm tube and a reticle for gallery shooting

Parallax down to 10m

I've had nothing but positive experience with my taurus and marksman and a red dot from them a really good brand for the money with good glass

Finally and let me stress the importance of this point 1/8th moa adjustment

A gallery scope needs 1/8th adjustment 1/10th mill is far to course for gallery shooting

A gallery scope imho needs

Plain reticle

1/8th adjustment

Fixed 36x magnification or variable above 30

Parallax down to 10m

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'll be selling my Sentinel 10-40x50mm as soon as I take some photos of it. Only a couple of weeks old.

Advertisement