Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Staff - Removal from Civil Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mad jesty

Crikey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I found it a very good place to work, so its not the same for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Onthefence

Up to a few weeks ago I was able to view the mobility map via the link on this page but it's not working for me anymore. Would anyone have a different link please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭Mikefitzs

Other than the list of problems I mentioned, it's a grand place to work.

Just a passenger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Forsa can't be allowed to just lie down and take this. This is a huge blow to the careers of all civil servants in AGS and if they get away with this don't think the government will stop there.

An injury to one is an injury to all.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

I wouldn't rely on Forsa to tie my shoe laces, let alone solve this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭salonfire

Are they babies that need to go running to Mammy when the big bad world does not go the way they imagined it would?

The membership need to demand action and keep at them

But the Forsa merger does seem to have been a complete disaster as far as the civil service is concerned.

Scrap the cap!

Employer making huge and highly disadvantageous changes to T&Cs unilaterally, are you so bet down you'd just take it?

Scrap the cap!

No, in fact we're adults that get together to fight our corner, we stick together. Better pay and conditions for civil and public servants translates to better pay and conditions to private sector workers. United collective bargaining is the most powerful tool in the workplace.

Just a passenger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭United Park

A bit off topic, but can you give examples of where the forsa merger has been a disaster and why?

Can see it been a disaster down the line in my own department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Can any of the staff that worked there tell me how long their clearance took? In the process at the moment for a job. The NVB stuff is completed, just waiting on a start date now, whenever that may be.

Sorry, I know it's off topic but I don't want to go creating a new thread!

@United Park Communication is terrible for one thing and the overriding impression is that they don't give a toss about issues which only affect the civil service.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Scrap the cap!

Usually 3 to 5 months although I've met one or two that only had 5/6 weeks wait. There are some dept's that are good to work in and some more difficult. There is a culture of "them and us" even though (some) management try to make you believe we're all one. Most guards are mad sound but there's a few that are hard work, same in any workplace but these yokes have power in the head. You'll most likely be put doing something you've no experience or training to do but expected to hit the ground running. Lots of people put into finance roles and HR without even being able to use spreadsheets or time management systems. As long as you can read and write that's what's really important. BTW it's one of the most relaxed of all the civil service departments, as long as you get your work done. Best of luck with it, you'll get used to it after 10 or 12 years 😂

Just a passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 6 leftturnclyde

If true, 6 years service of a bolt on should be at least 10 years to fall inline with what currently the difference of years between Gardaí and civil service years of service are 30 and 40 years.

Would flexi time and shorter working year be still on the cards if the change occurs? There could be a mass exodus in mobility if the benefits are not transferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Augme

There will be no mobility to avail off once the transfer happens.

Gardai get fast pension accrual due to the physical nature of the job. I don't support what the government are trying to do here, but full pension after 30 years behind a desk isn't on either.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Kirbi

How would you 'add years' for those in the single scheme though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 leftturnclyde

Im not sure what incentive needs to be brokered between the Unions and the Gardai if the civilian staff are to be moving under command by the Garda Commissioner. Certainly a favourable approach must be discussed to retain staff before any action is taken, this would be to allow the Civilian staff the option to accept or move out via mobility if they do not agree with the terms. This movement may drag on for years as it all ready was discussed a number of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ml123

Policing, Security and Community Safety Bill 2023 (Second Stage) to be discussed on Wednesday at 2.50pm in the Dail......it will be interesting to hear if any of the TD's will query the section of the bill effecting Garda Staff??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭pjordan

Second reading commenced last Wed https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2023-02-22/23/

Not much in the way of submissions so far regarding the concerns of Garda staff, apart from Aodain O Riordain. It seems part of the problem, as can be seen reflected in the local issue matters and personal/vested interest submissions of most deputies, is that whilst the bill as a whole as part of the the process of a badly needed reform of AGS is broadly welcomed by practically all deputies. However, a casualty of that legislation and this bill is that the genuine concerns of garda staff risk being lost in a drive for the "greater good"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I don't believe that for a second. From what we've heard there will be absolutely no sweetning of the deal by way of making the CS pension more on-line with the Garda Member pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alexo

Sincere apologies if this is in the incorrect thread but I literally can’t get any info from payroll.

So currently a CO ( Garda Staff ) and receive a 25% shift allowance.

Informed yesterday that I was successful in the internal Garda Staff EO competition. I am being told informally that I cannot be paid less than my current salary and that includes the shift allowance as I’m still under the umbrella of Dept of Justice, however I cannot find any paper / circular to support this.

I have until close of business Monday to make a decision or be removed from the panel. So basically from the time of getting notice I’ve been given 48 hrs to say yay or nay, and I can’t get anyone to tell me what salary I will potentially move to ….. HELP PLEASE

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

2.1 An officer who holds an allowance in the nature of pay at the time of promotion to a

higher grade, including an allowance deriving from service as a Private Secretary, will

enter the scale for the higher post at the more favourable of the following:

(i) Normal starting pay rules based on the officer's existing pay, exclusive of the

allowance; or

(ii) Where the allowance has been held for at least one year, the officer's existing

pay plus the allowance. 

The department who made the offer should disclose the starting pay regardless.....

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Ahshurlookit

Take the promotion, you'll be on a higher wage than currently on with the shift. You may have to spend time on an off point before going onto an actual point on the EO scale but you definitely won't be worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭doc22

I'd agree, even if you don't like the role you could possibily revert back too

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

Congrats on the promotion. I went for the same competition and didn't get past the aptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lotto999

Anyone hear anything further on this issue for Garda Staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Not really, the communication has been horrendous. I heard that the implementation is behind so might end up being more like July '24, not Jan '24.

Lots and lots of people moving out of the Guards to other departments. So might be a good time to get out if you can.

The whole thing makes so little sense. When it does come in, it will mean 3 streams of people in the one organisation. 1. Garda Members. 2. New staff hired after the start date will immediately be Public Servants. 3. Existing staff will remain Garda Staff until it is all signed-off and agreed with Unions, which might take a year or two.

• Advertisement

Why would the unions agree to this though? There is no upside.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement