Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teenagers with no value for life and no care for repercussions - **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

That case with the girl losing her eye is appalling. Nolan’s thought process is unfathomable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

She was due to appear on the late late tonight but has pulled out.

Probably due to the sentence handed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

And that’s the exact reason why little scrotes continue doing this stuff as they know there is mugs and do gooders like yourself out there who will take pity on them.

Meanwhile this girl will have one eye for the rest of her life.

Have a good think about what your saying.

You haven’t once mentioned the real victim in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

So anyone who thinks four years is too little, wants him ‘locked up for life’? Classic boards straw-manning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

He'll do 2 years absolute maximum. Lucky boy. Does anyone know if the others involved have been sentenced yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,253 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

According to the article, the others are yet to be sentenced

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

It's amazing how often it's assumed that all these delinquents will magically change their ways after a very lenient sentence.

Any scrote I knew growing up are still scumbags as adults- if they haven't fallen into addiction or have gone to an early grave. They re-produce young and the cycle continues, except this time they have more immunity to wreak havoc because "the poor cratur has a young kid to consider".

I know there are instances of lads turning their life around and becoming counsellors or whatever, but they are only newsworthy becomes it happens so infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I was home recently for the match and got the red line luas for the full journey.... Just an unpleasant experience from start to finish. Kids and teenagers, no respect for anyone, shouting, spitting, pushing against people "for the buzz" for almost 50 mins.. The driver got out of her cab at one stage and told one of the last groups to behave and shut up...

Also they were playing with a roll of tinfoil they had... Accessories for shopping no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

No change in sentencing is coming, no judicial review, no transport police, they can barely staff the Gardai with qualified officers as it is. This will come to a head soon enough, then people will wring their hands and wonder how it got this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Are we not already there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Quitelife

However bad Ireland is now its only getting worse. As a local Doctor said recently all the Wrong people are having Children - Often just for additional benefits.

Law Abiding Tax payers can only afford to have one or two whilst those on benefits all their lives will have 6 or more children . Ireland is a brillant country to be a waster .

• Registered Users Posts: 82,412 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One of the teenagers from the Garda ramming back in September wouldn't get out of bed to attend court this morning, what a country we live in...

And the judge refused to issue a warrant for him... Why do we bother... They tried to kill 2 female officers and risked all the public in the area for their "buzz". And they get out in a program.....

Break their legs should be the program...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

He "wouldnt get out of bed" - If it was my son he be dragged to court by the hair. But then again my standards are a lot higher than this scumbags parents and I think Ive raised my kids better so as not to be scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

A 13-year-old boy attacked a woman in Cork, kicked her in the head then sexually assaulted her got 18 months in Oberstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is a judge can’t be removed.

‘stated misbehaviour or incapacity’ are the only reasons.

being profoundly incompetent is ok.

some country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

They know how to play the system like a fiddle. If that was a working family there would be a warrant issued.

Awh, Bless the poor fella. Scrotes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Judges don't decide the length of sentences on a whim. They have nothing to do with sentencing policy. Legislature decides that when laws are being enacted. So, you have a recommended minimum and maximum term for each category of offence. Nolan, in some of his more publicised judgements, handed down the minimum term permissable under the law. That's all. He's not doing anything wrong nor is he incompetent. He tends to be the butt of snide remarks from other lawyers and legal commentators simply because his background is atypical of the vast majority of the judiciary in this country. He's an ex-Garda so the implication is he's not a "proper" judge and is in some way inferior to his peers which is rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Judges are not always issuing a sentence.

That's less than the minimum, if the accused is convicted.

I think the day will come where a victim of crime sues a judge or court because they didnt issue a standard/median sentence for a previous equivalent crime.

Person assaults victim A and the victim ends up in hospital. Person gets suspended sentence.

Person assaults Victim B and Victim B also ends up in hospital. Victim B sues the court for not imposing standard sentence following victim A trial.

If we can sue the council for broken paving stones, surely there is a case to sue the judiciary for not protecting the public from a known & convicted aggressor.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He’s incompetent if the sentence is too lenient in proportion to the crime. Because he is ‘able’ to hand down a weak, lenient and inappropriate sentence, doesn’t mean that he should.

If the law and sentencing is no longer a deterrent to teens, adults sure as shît won’t be deterred from committing crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Stop treating them like criminals/prisoners and instead treat them as psychiatric patients. Drugs to alter their compulsion to commit crimes. Lobotomies for repeat offenders with more than 10 convictions. Prison isn’t a deterrent, but taking away their personality and altering them would be a deterrent.

who here would like to be locked in a psychiatric ward setting and fed drugs that will alter your personality. Or wonder what type of person you’d be after a lobotomy. Sounds a lot scarier than a prison cel doesn’t it?

People commit crimes because they think they'll get away with it.

If the death penalty doesn't act as a deterrent in the countries in which its present, then the threat of lobotomies is unlikely to work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That’s a decent sentence though considering his age at the time.

So because he was only 13 he should get more leniency? He has ruined that woman's life, and damn sure he knew what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Who knows what the crime rates would actually be without the death penalty in countries that currently have it?

IE you cannot say with certainty that it doesn't effect crime rates either way.

If you don't want to participate in society and play by the rules you should be treated as such. A three strikes rule is fair with provision allowed for the person to undergo counseling and/or training in these spells depending on severity of the crime etc. Then a scale of removal of societal benefits. EG, social welfare payments, housing, benefits, with placement for mandatory labour in the community following then jail if required.

We have a weak justice system where these people are a law unto themselves, ultimately it will get to breaking point if it hasn't already and you will end up with more serious offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s not a light sentence but seems adequate

• Registered Users Posts: 29,262 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Even if I thought you were serious, which I don't (I certainly hope not anyhow) - considering that people suffering from actual and serious mental health issues can't get treatment within the psychiatric health system, I don't think your wild solutions will be getting considered any time soon. Thankfully.

• Advertisement

I completely agree that a more robust criminal justice system is needed.

I said before in another thread that we need to treat youth crimes in the same way as we would adult crimes - both for justice and deterrence reasons.

When we were youth, we understood perfectly well the consequences of our actions. It's no different for the youth of today, and sentencing should reflect the agency they have over any criminal actions they take.

Moreover if youth effectively get away with crimes, then why would they change their behaviour once they become adults? The behavioural path has already been created by then.

Advertisement