Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Path across field

Options
  • 01-06-2023 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have a shed across a field (~100m). In the near future I'll be planning on putting some form of all weather path across the field so I can store my motorcycle.

I was planning on pulling back the topsoil (3ft width), filling with stones and compacting it but I don't like the idea of adding stones to a field. I've picked enough of them in my youth.

Would it be madness to consider cutting up cattle mats (or something similar in a roll ideally), pinning it down over the surface of the grass? Bikes about 180kg and the path won't even be used every day? In winter when the weather is bad it probably wont be used once a month. Field doesn't get water logged either.

Any suggestions of a suitable material to make a path along the surface appreciated.

Fizzy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Would you consider putting stones around the perimeter. I think farmers sometimes do this to help with machinery movement. At least then it might have some longer term benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

To be honest, the whole purpose of the path is just to get the motorbike over and back. There'll be no heavy machinery using it. I'm starting to think that a compacted hardcore/stone path might be a touch overkill for the amount it'll be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,042 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yes, that's what I would suggest also. Well compacted crushed quarry stone topped with clause 804 blinding or something similar. Shouldn't have any issues with water run off / drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Sound for the input folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭MacDanger

If you can buy 2nd hand 3G pitch material (donedeal), it might do the job for you - have seen it used for paths for dairy cows to help with gravel paths getting cut up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

To be honest, it'd be cheaper to put up a shed at the near side of the field than to put in 100 meters of pathway (or 150m if you go around the perimeter).

Scraping off 200mm of topsoil, 1 meter wide by 100 meters long will require someone with a mini digger (6 toon size upwards, or JCB 3CX) 3+ hours.

Then put down 200mm of "3 inch down" is probably going to take about 100 to 120 tons of stone, and ideally a couple of loads of 804 blinding on top.

Plus the cost of spreading and levelling the stone, and levelling the topsoil.

Looking at €3000 to €4000 by my very rough estimate.

You might look around for quarries selling "road planeings" as this stuff can be a fair bit cheaper, and you wouldn't need the 804 on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭FJMC

That crossed my mind as well + the convenience factor + security, etc.

F

Advertisement