Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Surely the fact that Calvin Nash has been brought in ahead of already capped guys like Larmour and Baloucoune proves that there's really no grand conspiracy against Munster players, and that they can play their way into the squad if they sufficiently impress the coaches? Coombes getting dropped in November for Deegan but now being ahead of him also proves this. Frisch and Daly were on the same EI tour that Nash was on, so had the same opportunity to impress the coaches that Nash had.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Great post Alooof, some people just don't want to admit Coombes is a very good player, despite stats and performances pointing that way for a couple of seasons now.

Started this season late due to injury and had a slight dip, got left out after a poor performance (rightly, I wish Farrell had done the same with other underperformers such as Conan last year for e.g.) and it seems to have defined him by some on here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think people just see his try-scoring record from 5m out and assume he's a bruiser, whereas in reality he's a really good passer and brilliant offloader as well. Great jackaller too.

We haven't really missed CJ at all with some of the performance he's been putting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I think that Farrell should sit down all the wingers (in fact the whole squad) and show them Earls performance for the last 20 mins or so last week. Making things happen in attack and massive work in defence. The good news for Ireland is that both Daly and Nash are learning from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

People aren’t claiming a grand conspiracy. They are claiming that playing for Leinster is advantageous when it comes to Ireland selection. In fact its pretty obvious that is the case. So, obvious that Kinsella throws it out on a podcast to ZERO protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

limk?

I think its on any podcast platform. 42 rugby weekly podcast. Maybe its a members one. If it is, i wrote exactly what he said a few comments above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

I'm so angry about the squad announcement I think I'll ring Liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I feel like with Balacoune specifically, it's almost an indictment of Farrell's system that he hasn't stood out. The guy is Ferrari and Farrell likes his wingers to be pickup trucks. Balacoune is closer to a Penaud type of a player, lethal given time and space. If you have someone like that in your team, you ought to be building a gameplan around giving them the ball in space. I thought he was the only Ulster back who did anything to trouble the Leinster defense in the 1/4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is a bit of a nonsense argument tbh. Playing for non-Leinster didn't do Mack Hansen or Calvin Nash any harm, while Leinster player Jordan Larmour has more caps than Hansen, Nash, Baloucoune and Jimmy O'Brien combined, yet still finds himself on the outside.

Baloucoune - like so many others - has had his chances to impress, and he doesn't appear to have taken them. So now he doesn't get picked.

That's all there is to it.

• Advertisement

Where is that dude talking about strawmen earlier. We need him in here.

It wasn't advantageous for Larmour. Could it not be that the coaches just rate Nash higher? I really think people are massively overthinking this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

How big an advantage is it for the SH teams to play the championship in July, take a couple of weeks off and then back into camp. Seems like ideal prep for the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I think Larmour pretty good season. He is making better decisions. But, Nash is worthy of his selection. I've watched a bit of Ulster this season and I agree that Stockdale has been quite good. It's no surprise to me that's he's involved.

The thing with Larmour is he's a kind of run 1st and see if he can open holes. He also still has the glaring deficiency with fielding. The others selected are better in this regard.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

But if Baloucoune was with Leinster would he inevitably start doing that more?

Edit: already answered.

New question: if Baloucoune played for Leinster would more people spell his name right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

I don’t think you can call Hansen or Lowe pick up trucks. With Balacoune it’s obvious. He doesn’t come off his wing enough and get involved in the the game. Watch how many times Ireland go to Lowe or Hansen in midfield.

Balacoune is a brilliant finisher but that doesn’t seem to be all they want in wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Farrell appears to want his back three to have well rounded skill sets. Lowe, Hansen and Keenan are all comfortable at moving into the midfield and acting as secondary playmakers. I've not seen Baloucoune, at least in green, be half as prominent on the ball as the other three. He's definitely the quickest and the most dangerous runner so he needs to add that element to his game.

It's also why Jimmy O'Brien has become more prominent in Ireland squads. He has played 10,13, and all across the back three to a high level. He has the skills to distribute and link when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Looking at Baloucoune (thanks pick) , he's got qualities no one else has, to me he's worth investing more time in to work on his play. It seems Ulster isn't providing the environment for that, due to the style they're playing, so why not bring him into camp? For all their merits, we have one of the slowest back lines among the Tier 1 teams. Keenan is probably the sole guy with out and out pace, be nice to have a guy that can really punish a defensive gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I've said it before but I'd be very interested to see Baloucoune get a run at 13 for Ulster. For me he's got a lot of the essentials. He's a very canny defender, and a good tackler. And while he's been criticised for not coming in off his wing enough and acting as a playmaker I think he actually has good awareness when it comes to finding supporting players with a pass or offload; several good examples of this come to mind. Teams would have to be so wary of his pace on an outside break. A bit like Radradra played centre instead of wing when he came from league to get him more involved maybe this is what Baloucoune could do with?

Yeah, I've the same view on Baloucoune. He has such a rare skillset that you have to try to get more out of him.

The Irish gameplan wants a multitude of options, and back three players working their way infield to get hands on the ball frequently and create mismatches. TBF to Baloucoune, there are plenty of coaches out there who want their wingers to hold their width at all costs, so moving back and forth between the two styles mightn't be that intuitive to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

All these arguments for Baloucoune are based on his potential to do XYZ, not on his proven ability to do XYZ.

As noted by @pickarooney yesterday, that ship has sailed. We can't pick guys on potential with the RWC three months away, and we definitely can't change our style to suit a given player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Baloucoune or Larmour should be in the squad. The fact that they are both excluded is where I see a problem

Lowe,Hansen,Keenan,JO'Brien will be in the WC squad and 1 other. Earls or Nash

(Stockdale backup for Lowe)

If Hansen gets a knock at WC. Potentially Earls or Nash at 14 in quarter/semi/final.

Would Earls be the oldest winger ever to play at a WC(36!!)?

I really want Earls to reach that 100 cap milestone. I can see the team value of having him in the training squad. Not in the WC squad.

I really like how Nash has played this season. Proven ability at international level is Zero.

I really like how Nash has played this season. Proven ability at international level is Zero

This wouldn't concern me. He'll be 26 by the time the RWC comes around, so if asked to play I don't think he'll be overawed by it or anything, on top of that, he'll have spent extensive time in camp by then.

Mack Hansen slotted in fairly seamlessly in 2022, and was significantly less experienced then than Nash would be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Earls has too much international experience. Nash not enough. So we should opt for Baloucoune who has only a few games under his belt or Larmour who has more experience but whose form is patchy? Neither of whom play particularly the way Ireland currently use their wings. Larmour possibly slightly more so of the two of them.

On Balacoune, I don't see that he's busy enough to challenge Hanson. He's a stay at home winger.

Nash is a guy I can see fitting into this Ireland team really well. He's a tough, high work rate winger who gets himself on the ball and has good skills. All skills Farrell values in his wingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I'm still mystified over kilkoyne making the squad over Loughman or even potentially Milne.

And the fact they only have 3 LH props in the squad means he's going to the WC.

Similar to joey C kilkoyne hasn't been seen since the Sharks match in the champions cup.. dropped from the squad for 5 games.

Munster played South African opposition 3 times since then. 3 big scrummaging opponents and Kilkoyne was left at home.

I know Kilkoyne benched in the 6 nations when healy was injured but Loughman was also injured at that time.. I'm just not sure what Kilkoyne has done to be still ahead of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’d almost put Sheehan in before Byrne. The top 12s are robust individuals these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That’s true and there are many other considerations that I don't understand enough about to comment on. In one area there’s zero comparison between them - pace. Any decent wing who gets past Hansen won’t be caught by him. I just feel Baloucoune offers the option of something more like a South African winger which we don’t otherwise have in our back line. It could unsettle other teams.

• Advertisement

I'm in your camp. Kilcoyne is just not good enough. Porter would have to go for 65 minutes. Loughman is far better.

Advertisement