Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'm very very late to the SNW party, having only finished it yesterday. I haven't enjoyed a Star Trek show this much in, what, 20 years? I absolutely loved it.

The absolute perfect balance of TOS era tech but for modern viewing. The aesthetics the same, it's recognisable yet fresh. So that hooked me right away, it gave me the impression that some care and consideration went into the details, unlike other more recent efforts.

The characters are all interesting and well acted. Anson Mount is quite brilliant as Pike. We knew that already from Discovery season 2, but he cemented it now as the lead of SNW. The other characters, Spock for example, also brilliantly acted. Spock's character has some of the biggest shoes in the franchise to fill...but Ethan Peck's take on Spock is seriously good. Great to see characters like Chapel get some real development. Doctor M'Benga is fantastic also, and the episode that resolves his daughters arc had a real gut punch of an ending.

I knew most of the shows characters names after a few episodes, unlike Discovery which, after 4 seasons, I still couldn't name more than 3 or 4 at best.

It's so refreshing to have plots that don't involve galactic threats around every corner. A return to episodic storytelling was a huge hit for me.

The writing echoes the aesthetics, it's modern, but respects what came before it. Pike's looming destiny, is woven beautifully into the season 1 finale, and was a fantastic hour of Star Trek.

Consider me sold, modern Star Trek is no longer guaranteed garbage. I've Picard season 3 to watch next, which I've heard similar good things about.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,581 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mount and Peck were great as we knew from DIS but I was really impressed by M'Benga ( I was at first really annoyed by his inclusion ) and despite Chapel being nothing like the original she is amazing. Sickbay scenes are a real standout.

The last episode is a real high and if you didn't pick up on it already go watch some of the YouTube breakdowns. Everything from the camera angles, focus and even those weird round lights in their eyes are a spot on recreation of the TOS episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Enjoyed that, thanks for recommending guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I knew most of the shows characters names after a few episodes, unlike Discovery which, after 4 seasons, I still couldn't name more than 3 or 4 at best.

And not only that you actually care for what happens to Pike, Erica, M'Benga Nurse Chapel and the rest unlike on Dis I did not know or care about the Characters or what happens to them

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Inviere

Indeed, though that's synonymous with a lack of/poor development of characters. The decision to make Burnham front and center for practically the entire show, more or less doomed the supporting cast to anonymity. Sure, there's Saru who seen some development, but for the most part it's Star Trek: Burnham, and that was a huge production mistake in such a franchise.

• Advertisement
    Ms

but for the most part it's Star Trek: Burnham, and that was a huge production mistake in such a franchise.

Exactly. It might as well have been called that.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A Canadian French language channel called Craze has some new footage from the next season, blink and you'll miss this.

Notice the uniforms

Ooohhh myyyyyy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't wait. Fair to say this will be one of SNWs comedy episodes. It'll be weird to see such high energy animated characters portrayed in love action; they'll seem so sedate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I'm so interested in how this is going to work out! Like, the voice actors generally have the right look, and the humour aligns reasonably. Has the makings of a great bonkers episode like Trials and Tribbleations.

• Advertisement

There are already a few sites out there if you want to see Mariner in "love action"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well, we did have a preview of that in LD in that mad episode with the orgy in the bar area. Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Boimler's little line at the end was just fantastic, and yeah, pretty much how I'd expect him to react.

Looks like the new season will continue the trend towards fun space adventures, and I'm here for it. Disappointed Hemmer is gone cos he seemed to have potential but Carol Kane as his replacement could work out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good trailer. Looking forward to this.

All Eyes On Rafah

Easily my favourite thing about this show is just how wonderful awe inspiring they make space look. It really is the stuff of childhood dreams.

Yeah I think that has been part of the allure: tapping into that idea of space as something boundless and full of wonder. The dialogue might lampshade it too much for people's taste, but the show certainly "gets" the idea that, yes, a 5 year mission of exploration would invite awe by design

Ms

Looks amazing. Can not wait. Have been longing for some new Star Trek on my streams lately.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I just love that Boimler has purple hair.

So season 2 ep.7 is called "Those Old Scientists" which pretty much confirms it as the crossover episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Really looking forward to the second season! Absolutely dreading the crossover episode though. Something incredibly Trek (SNW) with something incredibly not. May skip it and pretend it never happened.

Lower Decks has been very close to real Trek and closest to what Starfleet is truly about with hope, science, engineering and trust in your fellow human/vulcan/andorian/etc

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Also Strange new worlds first season veers more towards the comedy side than the serious side I thought so a Lower Decks cross over wouldn't be out of place tone wise at all imo. A Lower Decks TNG/Voyager/Enterprise crossover would be a lot weirder. I'd say DS9 but that did give us episodes like "the magnificent Ferengi"

The only way they'll mess up imo is by having a really crappy explanation for why Boiler/Mariner are 150 years in the past.

Boimler touched or pressed something he shouldnt have.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Lower Decks is quite Star Trek-y it just happens to also be primarily a comedy which means some weird non Star Trek things happen, Mess Hall orgies for example.

Lower Decks is truer to Golden Age Trek than anything in the last 20 years

Seriously?

Deltans, Edo, Risans and you think that orgies would be off limits?

We've seen that ships tend to be crewed by races close to each other (primarily human or vulcan or whatever) so only getting earth based ideals on our hero ships.

Absolutely nothing to say that Carol Freeman does not allow non human cultural traditions to take place.

(Edit: I just realised that I know the names of all the Lower Decks crew. Still struggle to name more than 4 Disco crew)

I wouldn't be trying to do anything crazy. Simple transport accident around a mcguffin causing temporal displacement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

An on-screen one involving (holograms of) the crew in public, yes. I liked that scene but when you think Star Trek orgies are not in the first few things that spring to mind.

Advertisement