Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

While Kellegher is good with his feet I wouldn't say he is better than Bazunu.

In terms of actual shot-stopping it's one of the things I've been least impressed with Kellegher any time I've seen him.

He looks every bit the outfielder who took up goalkeeping at a later age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Wouldn’t agree with this, has shown some excellent shot stopping abilities in the champions league and on his run to winning the League Cup. Also excellent composure from pass-backs under pressure, with very high quality distribution from both hands and feet.

My main worry for him really is his stature - probably not a fella who’ll clear out the box on a corner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Kelleher remains unproven. Until he had has a good run of games under his belt Bazunu is still number 1. Hopefully both will be top class keepers but to repeat what WZ said above, Liverpool fans are clouded on the issue.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I do think Liverpool fans are clouded by Kelleher's performances. He hasn't really shown anything for Ireland that would suggest he should be No.1 ahead of Bazunu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There's also a concern around his fitness. He's picked up a few injuries in the last three years and only for injuries he'd likely be Ireland number one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Based on what? Bazunu was playing EPL football week in week out. Are we really going to drop one of our few first team Premier league players for a guy that gets the odd game in a cup?

Bazunu was playing for Rochdale when he became Irelands number one. If Kelleher wasn't injured for the start of the WC qualifying campaign he'd have been Irelands number one because he was Kenny's first choice at the time out of the younger lads and his U21s goalkeeper.

But sure you might aswell say Travers or Randolf would be the number 1 now if DR wasn't injured or Travers didn't make an error against Serbia.

Kelleher has gotten caps in the meantime and Bazunu slotted back in for the serious games when available which tells me that Bazunu looks better behind the scenes aswell as his career being streets ahead of Kelleher.

Post edited by Pawwed Rig on

I wouldn't say 'clouded' - it's not false information or something - I'd just say Liverpool followers have simply seen more of him... He's made a lot more appearances for Liverpool than for Ireland, so there's just more games to base him on, rather than only his appearances in green. If someone reckons they've seen a gap in his game (shot stopping) in his few ireland appearances when thrown into usually-mixed teams, then it's valuable to know that in other high level competition with his club his shot stopping has been quite good. It's a thing we know he can do, cause people have seen him do it.

I've no problem with Bazunu being number 1 though, he's not done anything to deserve losing it. But it's nice to know there's a high quality replacement there should his international form drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

33% of his entire playing senior playing career has been with Ireland! In fact if you include hi underage appearances for Ireland he has played more international games than club games, a truly bizzare situation.

And why would you think that only Liverpool supporters have seen him playing for Liverpool. All I have learned is that if we are in a penalty shootout his the man!

Ah yeah, I wouldn't count underage performances really (he's made an awful lot more of those for Liverpool too!), since the leap from underage to senior is just so big for both club and country.

Oh yeah, of course plenty of non pool fans will have watched - I was just addressing the point that "He hasn't really shown anything for Ireland", and that "Liverpool fans are clouded by Kelleher's performances". I don't think international performances are the only performances worth paying attention to - sure most international players earn their places through club form, so I think his Liverpool first team performances are informative rather than clouding.

When I say clouded it is more that many Liverpool fans buy into that he is learning from a great keeper and he would be mad to leave the club given the experience he is getting. I have seen that said numerous times on social media.

It seems to be exclusively Liverpool fans who say this (putting club before country?). Meanwhile Bazunu is gaining fist hand experience of the highs and lows of being a first team player at multiple different senior levels.

As I said I hope they both become great keepers but Kelleher needs to be braver and go somewhere where he can be a number 1.

Ah right, yeah, I wouldn't agree with that viewpoint at all either anyway. I can't say i've seen that expressed as a common opinion in my own experience though... and certainly not commonly by Liverpool fans on here. (as far as social media goes, there's not really any point of view you won't see stated numerous times - it's packed full of every type of opinion you could ever think of, from the cleverest to the most moronic).

Of course it's better for his career to go out and play now at this stage. He's obviously benefitted hugely from having top level coaches and players around him, but now's the time to go do it for himself.

(The 'clouded' comment I was referring to was Brock Turnpikes though, not yours - they referred to people being clouded by his Liverpool performances, with the poster placing higher value on his Ireland performances - I kinda just think both sets of performances are of fairly equal value.)

Yes, but I've seen his Ireland and Liverpool performances. I'm not judging exclusively on his Ireland performances. I think Liverpool fans are over egging Kelleher because he plays for the team they support.

Perhaps... though he really had to earn that support. It's only a few years since there was a lot of doubt and negativity about him amongst Liverpool fans. He was part of some awful defensive performances in his cup appearances early on - including famously conceding 5 in back to back games against Arsenal and Villa in the League Cup in 19/20. So how he's developed and been viewed since then, with a very visible and rapid improvement, has been a major turnaround.

Doesn't deserve to usurp Bazunu until/unless Gav puts in some poor displays for us, but I think he's shown enough - and enough future potential - to be worthy of a spot if that time comes.

• Advertisement

Good to see Jack Taylor reporting to camp but Chiedozie wasn't involved because of his hamstring and neither was Cannon due to tonsillitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Probably a good chance of Manning going to Southampton with Russel Martin tipped to take over. Will be interesting to see if they keep Smallbone and give him a chance next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Kelleher started for Liverpool today against Southampton and conceded 4. From the highlights he looked very unimpressive, and certainly not the kind of performance that would suggest he should be a target for any Premier League teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Even after a bad season with Southampton there really is no call for Kelleher to take the Irish no.1 spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Collins started for Wolves and they conceded 5. He's had a very poor season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Bazunu was on the bench for Southampton but he really should've done better with all 4 goals they conceded.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭JPup

Lol

I was thinking about this thread once I saw how Kelleher got on yesterday!

Ironically, his save percentage at 60% was still better than Bazunu’s this season 😄

No surprises for today's squad announcement. Ogbene ruled out through injury.

How the Championship's left back of year and one of the highest assist providers is overlooked for Liam Scales is absurd.

Tom Cannon has done more in 3 months at Preston than what Obafemi, Idah and Parrott have done all season. Combined in all competitions those players have 12 goals. Cannon has 8.

Manning is injured apparently. Think he definitely would have been picked if Scales was picked. Even though he's a left footer and covers LWB I'd have had McNally ahead of him.

Cannon definitely a head scratcher unless he's pulled out himself or injured. Not like we've got many U21s inform never mind an U21s player that's a striker. Hopefully there's no one in his ear cause he'd probably go in as England's starting striker at U21 level.

Missed the training camp because of tonsillitis alright. Surely would be gone in time.

• Advertisement

Think he also said that Cannon is on standby and that Ryan Manning is missing because of personal reasons. Was in the squad only for personal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

The Cannon one is very suspicious, he could have been brought anyway and integrated into the squad now.

I'd say at this moment he's possibly prioritizing sorting out his club future over a call up. He's 27 in two weeks and this is likely his last chance to get himself a good move with a decent contract.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

176 of the 475 caps are Hendrick and McClean with the latter possibly getting his 100th this window. If both players were the ones to drop out then the average caps drops from 19 to 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

His agent will sort out the contract. If players pulled out everytime they were changing club it would be ridiculous. He’s 26 aswell. Not sure that means he’s on his last decent contract unless he intends to put his feet up once he signs it.

He's 27 in two weeks and any contract he's likely to get will be 3 to 5 years. Unless the lad starts playing the best football he's ever played in his life I doubt he'll be moving to better pastors once he's 30 or older. Plus gets injured training with Ireland that puts his move on hold.

He’s unlikely to be on his last decent contract unless he’s **** at his next club.

last decent contract is for players around 30 or 31.

maybe there’s something else going on but at first glance he looks like he’s not bothered or not happy.

Think it’s fair to say it’s likely this contract will be higher value than a contract that will cover time entirely in his 30s. Mid to late 20s is peak. Once you’re in your 30s factors like a lack of resale value and a far greater likelihood of a consistent decline in performances are going to play a major part in contract talks.

• Advertisement

Being out of contract in a month's time is not a legitimate reason to refuse a call up to your national side during competitive internationals. So for that reason I doubt that's why he's refusing the call up especially when a strong performance at international level could potentially alert a few more clubs to his availability.

It shouldn’t be his last decent contract. It may be his most lucrative contract. But if he does well at this next club it probably won’t be that either

And an injury could effect his next move. Not like he's a starter and probably wouldn't even make the match day squads anyway with O'Dowda and McClean ahead of him in the pecking order.

I would judge any player who can’t make it to an international call up, especially a competitive one, because he might get injured and that would affect his bargaining position. o dowda might get injured (like he did on the last call up) and then manning is in with a chance of playing.

a bit exasperated by the lack of commitment you are prepared to tolerate if you are correct in the reasons put forward for his wish to be non selected.

I'd imagine it's a culmination of factors really... focusing on getting a good deal for his future (yeah he might get another decent deal afterwards, but I don't think pro sports people can afford to look that far ahead with any certainty), and also a bit of a reaction from being snubbed by Kenny so many times before. He should be a well established squad member by this stage really.

I'm broadly pro-Kenny, and defend him on most things within reason, but his management of individual relationships seems to leave a lot to be desired, and I wonder if this sort of thing with Manning is a slight by-product of that. I agree that he should come though, but i guess the reality of these things is a bit messier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,513 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whatever about the pre-existing relationship, I also don't think the contract situation is a basis to refuse a call up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Surely playing for Ireland would be beneficial for his career and contract situation. Now I'd say he's well and truly burnt that bridge.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

" He’s been around Ireland squads under Kenny before, most recently last summer when there was a gap between the end of the Championship season and the meet-up for the four Nations League games.

Manning didn’t seize the opportunity to impress in a camp where it was clear that some players had holidayed better than others. "

As per Dan McDonnell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Been a pretty significant defender of Kenny but with the way he's let some of the situations play out I think a big performance if not a win is very much needed. Clearly has his favourites and this Manning situation reeks of Doherty under O'Neill.

No Tom Cannon but 9 new players receive their first U21s call up with 5 from this season's U19s being called up. Rocco Vata and Sam Curtis still eligible for next season's U19s.

It's a strong squad.

Abankwah started for Udinese in the last game of the season against Juventus and lasted 60 minutes. It was only after he was substituted did Udinese concede. Festy is injured for those wondering.

I really like the look of Harry Vaughan. If he keeps playing the way he does at Hull I reckon he'll be in the senior squad within the next 12 months.

A lot of those players need loan moves for next season to guarantee themselves some first team football - Adarmola, Hodge, and Armstrong Okoflex in particular.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement