Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Census 2022: 10% reduction in Roman Catholic numbers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

SFAIK the way it works in Germany is, if you're registered as a member of a church but you no longer wish to pay the tax, you notify the tax office (or some other office of the state) that you have left the church, and they notify the church. The church notes in its own records that you are no longer a member, or they don't note that — the tax office doesn't care, and you being exempted from the church tax doesn't depend on what entry the church does or doesn't make in its own records.

The system doesn't include any requirement for the church to delete its records relating to you. If you want that, you'd have to approach the church directly to seek it, and presumably you'd be relying on the same GDPR-based or other arguments that you would be advancing in countries with no church tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Whatever about what Christopher was ?, Peter Hitchens is a Christian ( Church of England)

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Butson

This is true. Lived in New York for a time had some friends of that persuasion. Weren't religious in any way but called themselves Jews.

It's a cultural thing.

Bit like Holy Communions here. It's an Irish rite of passage. Most people just go along with it, part of our tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I know of a primary school in Galway that allowed the non Catholics kids to go to another room and do homework or reading while the other kids were doing their Communion prep. There were about 10 of them and they were supervised by an SNA. It worked really well until one of the 'Catholic' parents found out that the SNA was helping some of the kids with their homework. The parent in question rounded up some other parents and officially complained to the principal that the non Catholic kids "were getting extra tuition". The principal was forced to bring the non Catholic kids back into the classroom where they were asked to draw pictures during Communion prep.

That's the level. A complete and utter nonsense.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

definitely going jedi on the next one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's absolutely fine that to started with "I would imagine...". I suggesting that makes it read read as you offering an opinion, or implying some subtext, rather than simply stating a fact. Facts, by their nature tend not to be imagined.

OP was implying that the people making their confirmation, but not regularly going to mass are not really catholic. It sounded like you were implying the same about the 69% who identified as catholic. If that's not what you were implying, I read it wrong. But why question still stands, what was your point.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Oh don't worry, under the recently appointed archbishop the RCC Dublin Diocese is making plans to cash in big time.

@nozzferrahhtoo Yes there are some very nice churches around but, at least in Dublin, there are huge numbers of 60s/70s concrete monstrosities that are nothing other than carbuncles on the streetscape. e.g. the recently demolished aircraft hangar-like structure in Finglas that they could never heat or fix the design flaws.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Apparently the two are not mutually exclusive either. As noted on his Wiki page Peter "Hitchens has Jewish descent via his maternal grandmother, a daughter of Polish Jewish migrants. His grandmother revealed this fact upon meeting his wife Eve Ross."

Not that any of that makes sense to me. But apparently that is how it is :)

According to the newspaper Christopher Hitchens found out he was Jewish through his brother Peter. "It happened when his brother Peter took his new bride to meet their maternal grandmother, Dodo, who was then in her nineties, and Dodo said, 'She's Jewish, isn't she?' and then announced: 'Well, I've got something to tell you. So are you.' She said that her real surname was Levin, not Lynn, and that her ancestors were Blumenthals from Poland."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The definition of a Karen there. That parent prefers that their child gets a day out than improving their education, but wants other children held back to her child's level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

I would imagine that my point was fairly straight forward.

Sorry, my bad, let me try that again. I believe that my point was fairly straight forward, and is the following:

The OP associated identifying as Catholic with going to mass. My reply, to the OP, was that many who would identify as Catholic do not in fact go to mass.

My statement is implying nothing whatsoever?

>I would imagine that a large proportion of those who identify as Roman Catholic do not regularly go to mass.

Where do you see any implication there? OK, let's get over the 'I would imagine ...' part. It's a simple statement saying that many who identify as Roman Catholic do not go to mass. I identify as Roman Catholic but do not go to mass. My parents likewise.

I am struggling to see how you are struggling to get my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

People always seem to rejoice at the demise of Roman Catholic church and Christian churches in general as if it will herald in a new enlightened era.

However, as a non believer, I'm forced to acknowledge that from what I can see religious societies have more content/happy populations. Knock yourself on Google scholar, but there seems to be a general trend.

Whether it's the community/structure/need to be led organised religion has provided some basic need in communities since the dawn of time; why else do they survive and thrive?

Where is Atheism Ireland active in the bereavement/counselling/spiritual field? If they aren't where do they expect people will go when they hit upon difficult times?

They will go somewhere.

Maybe the practice of stoicism might be answer for some, but some will need the social connection that comes from religion to be filled elsewhere.

When something you don't like is falling down don't be surprised if you don't like it's replacement either

I'm not struggling at all. I simply asked you a question, one that you having been able to answer. It really wasn't a difficult question.

I would imagine that my point was fairly straight forward.

Sorry, my bad, let me try that again. I believe that my point was fairly straight forward,

Jaysus. That was really woeful.

My statement is implying nothing whatsoever?

>I would imagine that a large proportion of those who identify as Roman Catholic do not regularly go to mass.

Where do you see any implication there? 

Let me make this easier. I would say this is correct. Doubt even half of the 69% go to mass regularly. What do you think that says about the census, the population or anything else?

That is not a trick question, there is no right/wrong answer. I'm literally asking your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Have you attended a humanist wedding ceremony? They are far more pleasant, upbeat and enjoyable ceremonies than a catholic one (my opinion of course).

Humanist and non religious funerals are available. I was at one last year, and as weird as this is to say it was a more enjoyable funeral experience than any catholic one I've been to.

And for anyone who needs bereavement counselling there are plenty of options available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

My own take would be that you do not need to be a part of any particular religious ceremony etc. to identify as being part of said religion. I would define myself as Catholic in a census, though it would perhaps be more precise to say 'non-practicing' Catholic, I am not sure if that option exists. I don't feel that I need to go into a church to identify as Catholic. It's not something that bothers me too much though. If, for whatever reason, I was 'somehow' not 'able', or 'allowed' etc. to identify as Catholic from tomorrow onwards, it's not something that would put me out too much.

I’ve attended humanist weddings, found them insufferably boring and tedious

Where would you rather live, Pakistan or Finland?

Czechia or Iran?

This stuff about religious countries being better/happier is complete and utter bollox.

Atheism Ireland campaign on issues like secularism, they do not involve themseves with ceremonies, the Humanist Association of Ireland do though (or at least were involved in getting humanist celebrants recognised for weddings)

If I was having difficulties I'd much rather talk to a proper therapist / counsellor not some goon who thinks prayer is the answer.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

There is nothing worse than having to sit through a fecking mass (for no other reason than the bride thought the church would look nice in the photos) then have to drag your arse miles away to the actual venue where the relatively fun parts happen.

So much easier and more pleasant to have the ceremony at the reception venue. The mainstream churches are too up their own holes to allow this however. That's their problem and only a minority of weddings in Ireland now take place in a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I don't believe it's that religious countries are happier - after all theocracies are generally terribly run countries. Instead, the studies show that, all else being equal, people who believe in religion tend to be more content than non-believers. They also tend to live longer. There are various theories about why this may be so, including:

• Religious people are often members of closely knit groups within their religion and are therefore less prone to loneliness
    • Religious people often feel like they have a greater purpose in life (all part of god's plan or whatever) and are therefore less prone to existential anxieties that can lead to unhappiness and depression

We had the ceremony at the wedding venue but it was a civil ceremony lasting circa twenty minutes, not a humanist ceremony

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

And religions tend to have rules and regulations about what one can do with one’s body, like leading a healthy lifestyle before John Kabat ever popularised mindfulness and meditation in this part of the world.

Again Catholics in Ireland being Catholic, used abuse alcohol, tobacco and a whole host of other vices before it became unfashionable to do so.

Now we have mood altering substances available on prescription in the form of medication.

Those kinds of studies that attempt to explore these kinds of ideas tend to have an underlying motivation to present their evidence the way they do.

• Advertisement

Don't the less religious scandanavian countries show more content populations at times too, including higher per capita levels of charity, than their religious counter parts? I am not sure how safe it is to declare that religious societies in general are the happier. Further to that, one would then have to explore the correlation/causation error to see if it applies. Even if happiness were higher in societies were religiousity was higher.... that is a correlation and nothing else. It could be that the happier you make people, the more time they have to invest in hobbies.

It also depends, I would imagine, on how religious the society actually is. If you find turning up the dial on religion in a society causes a correlatation in increasing happiness.... I think you will find if you keep turning the dial higher and higher, the correlation will reverse. There are some very bloody miserable highly religious areas in our world.

Christopher Hitchens had a partially relevant answer to your point however. A radio interview with an evangelical broadcaster had the guy try to get Hitchens on the spot to admit something similar to what you are saying here. He demanded "You are to imagine yourself in a strange city at night and a group of men are walking towards you; would you feel safer or less safe if you knew they were coming from a prayer meeting?".

To which Hitchens said "I have been in that exact situation you describe. I can answer that question without even leaving the letter B. In Bethlehem, Bombay, Bosnia, Belfast, Beruit, Belgrade, Bagdad. Where if you see a group of young people coming from their religious meeting of choice, you know exactly how fast it is you should run".

I am not sure it was ever the remit of Atheist Ireland to do anything but promote as their mission statement says "an ethical, secular society where the State does not support or finance or give special treatment to any religion.". So demanding they be active in the field to counsel people for bereavement is not really useful. It is not their place.

Nor are they suggesting you do NOT get your emotional releief from religion either. They are perfectly happy for you to turn to religion in your time of emotional need if you want. They just want to ensure the state is not supporting or financing that decision by giving special treatment to your religion.

Micheal Nugent the long time chairman of atheist ireland has campaigned quite heavily on "Right to Die" issues too. To the point he admits he was ready and willing to go to prison by helping his sick wife to die should her pain become too much. She passed on her own however of her illness.

That said though, quite a lot of atheists do talk about the very concerns you bring up. Sam Harris would be the first of the "big names" of atheism to spring to mind and he often does talks on the subject of death, grief, well being, spirituality, and more. When Christopher Hitchens died he threw out the script for the talk he was going to do, and did an entire talk on death and coping with death instead.

The atheist illusionst Derren Brown has also written books on happiness without religion involved, and has written of his discovery of the stoics and their philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Hamachi

This makes total sense. I grew up nominally catholic in Ireland, without ever taking the religion seriously. I moved abroad for work in my early 20s to a non-English speaking country on the continent. The first few months there were incredibly lonely and isolating. With nothing else to do on the weekends, I started going to mass on Sunday, if nothing else to tune into the language. To my surprise, it was transformative for me.

The priest and some of the elderly parishioners took me under their wing, introduced me to younger people my age, got me hooked up with sports clubs and language classes. Essentially, they helped me start my life in a new country when I was considering giving up and coming home. I was eternally grateful to them and continued to return to the church about once a month for the decade I lived in that country.

Whilst I still don't have a true faith, I acknowledge and recognize the sense of community that the church provided. Frankly, I'd far rather be surrounded by those harmless "God botherers" than angry atheists, who are fixated on an institution that has a negligible influence on their lives.

What struck me over the years, especially early on around the time Atheist Ireland was being founded... was not in fact how few self described catholics went to mass.

Rather I was always struck by how few of them ever bothered to own, let alone read, a Bible. To the point when I actually showed a Christian a Bible, they were shocked how BIG it was.

This was because whenever they heard something from the Bible in school, or the few masses they actually attended, they were hearing the same small hand picked passages over and over again. So they thought they had heard everything that was in it. Which is kind of like thinking having read the "Foreward" to the Lord of the Rings books, they have read the entire text :)

When they were actually shown a Bible by me, including how many pages it has and how small the font was on each page, and therefore the sheer volume of content in it........ they were often jaw dropping shocked by it. They had literally no idea.

Now I am not religious and never have been. I was actually rather slow and naive to the point when the Bible was being read to us in school I thought it was "Story Time" and I was embarrasingly old (12 maybe?) when it first hit me "Hang on a second..... people BELIEVE this tripe???".

But.... when I imagine myself to be religious....... and I imagine my religion of choice believes that this god has total dominion over the eternal well being of my soul....... and said god wrote or inspired a book on the subject...... I can only imagine I would be compelled to go out of my way to obtain and read that book. Over and over and over again probably.

So that these supposedly religious people have not even bothered to acquire one, let alone turn to page 1..... has always baffled me somewhat. It makes one somewhat sympathetic to Daniel Dennets hypothesis that the believers "believe in belief" rather than actually have that belief themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I've been to a humanist funeral and some other funerals with no real title, if that makes sense. They were really nice actually. The family and friends talked and did whatever they wanted, played videos, read poems or stories & just told stories about the deceased. They played whatever music they liked too, some had live music.

I dunno, but I found them a lot nicer and inclusive then all the Catholic funerals I've been to.

I that sounds a bit unbelievable tbh. The bible is known as a large book. Not War and Peace large, but I doubt anyone has any notions that is short story. They may not own a bible, but most people will see them all the time. Most hotel rooms for a start have bibles in the bedside drawer.

But maybe people are recalling the small new testament they give you when you make your communion/confirmation - a palm sized version with very light paper and a tiny font. If you picked up a full (old and new testament) bible, with normal pages, such as a gideons bibles, it would be much bigger than you remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

Religious societies have more content/ happy populations? Is this a wind up or joke?

I would rather live and grow in 2023 ireland rather than 1953 ireland where Christian brothers and nuns would inflict their violence. Even better might be 2053, where religion is totally removed from State... or how about Afghanistan. Are women happier now, or 5 years ago?

Atheist Ireland probably rightly should leave counselling to proper trained councillors, rather than making stuff up about 'after lifes' etc. I believe it is damaging if people believe that we are going to get desert after our life. Live life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Don't mean to be picky but immigration is people coming into a country and emigration is those leaving their own country, so you have it arse about face. Poles etc are immigrants, not emigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

I have noticed that some (obviously non-Catholics) on this thread who ticked the Catholic box anyway have given the impression that it's benign to do this.

Well the Government makes policy based on census results. If you've ticked 'Catholic' and do not ever go to mass, or believe in ghosts etc, then your box ticking actions adversely effect us all.

It has already been discussed in the Dail:

Dáil hears church domination of education ‘can’t be allowed to continue’ after massive drop in Census Catholic numbers (msn.com)

Please be honest for the next Census, as it effects us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

• Advertisement

Hard to say, and really it is only a handful of anecdotes and memories that I have. It's not like its ALL Christians I meet or anything :)

I just remember how genuinely baffling I found it at the time. A part of my brain silently saying "You basically think this is the handbook to life, the universe, and everything and possibly the eternal well being of your very soul....... and you are seeing it for the first time only now having been shown it by an atheist who has actually read it?".

I guess it was just a head space I could not get into, so alien was it to me.

Advertisement