Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

It is not about the supplier but the cost impact of different supplier mixes. Wind out and gas in will change the wholesale cost dramatically.

Think about how bills are generated currently -

dumb meter - monthly usage is sent to the supplier, bill is generated from this - there is no way that wholesale pricing can be applied here.

smart meter - usage recorded automatically and this can be done against the time of the usage so peak and off-peak pricing is possible. Wholesale pricing would require that the smart meter has up to date wholesale pricing to identify both usage and cost on an hourly basis.This would then be sent back to the supplier to generate the bill. I come from the telecoms industry and this is equivalent of your mobile phone identifying the calls you make both on the length of the call and the number you are calling then sending these details back to the network for the operator to bill you - it would never happen.

The complexity of introducing wholesale pricing for consumers is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

EDF have come on board to replace Shell "subject to approval by Competition and Consumer Protection Commission" for the Simply Blue 'Western Star' (1.35GW off Clare) and 'Emerald' (1.3GW off Kinsale Head) floating offshore wind projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Could you elaborate why this would never happen? I'm interested on what would be the blocking point as I don't see see a technological impedement per se (without working in the field so quite possible I'm missing an important detail). The technology could also be used to help with load balancing helping people to automate certain high energy tasks when power is cheap and plentiful (car charging, washers, dryers etc etc) but that's a tangent to the current subject.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Smart meters can do this if there are a number of basic charge rates going from cheap to costly, and all that is needed is a way of informing the customer of the current rate. The fact that the current night rate is fixed time makes it very restricted for flexibility, but no reason why it could not be dynamic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

That's what I figured so I don't understand why it would, in theory, be unable to transmit data back (or simply store it for later reading) regarding usage at a certain time for billing. Whether this is preferable for the customer is another question of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Dont Be at It

You're really over thinking it. From a supplier point of view it's probably the easiest type of tariff to implement and bill. Wholesale is quoted in MWh.. Retail is quoted in kWh... You just divide by 1000. The supplier would also have (presumably) thousands of customers - not necessarily doing it on a single customer basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Octopus Energy in the UK have dynamic pricing. Can't find the video now but will look for it later. Search Octopus Agile and Octopus Go.

Electric Vehicle Man has a video where he used Octopus for an EV flexi tariff or something. He would input he wants X kWh into the EV and the internet connected Octopus switch would activate his charge point during the cheapest rates, generally during the night. Electricity sold on the Day Ahead Market gives utility companies ~23 hours to update their backend and implement their smart switches.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Strictly speaking your smart meter wouldn't need to be involved, your electricity supplier could just publish the pricing data on the internet and your appliances could download and use this data over your home wifi.

For instance your EV in your drive way connects to your home wifi, downloads the data via API from your electricity supplier and then works out for itself when it is the cheapest to charge. Basically you tell your EV, I always want to have a full charge by 8am. So when you come home in the evening and plug the car in, it grabs the rates for the next 24 hours and based on this data + how much it needs to charge by 8am to get the full charge.

Interesting Apple recently rolled out this sort of feature to iPhones in locations with such available data. If you plug in at night, your phone will start and stop charging throughout the night to match with the most environmentally friendly time to charge, while ensuring a full charge by the time you wake up.

The biggest issue, is creating a standard for all your appliances and electricity suppliers to implement, so that it is easy to use.

Of course smart meters can also do similar with Demand Side Response.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Ok my mistake, this is being done at present - Octopus is doing it as an experiment. They are not however using the current wholesale rate but a forecast for the next day.

AgileOctopus prices are calculated automatically in the evening based on the next day’s wholesale price forecast (read our Agile pricing formula here). Tonnes of different factors from the weather, to politics, to huge global crises like COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine, can affect the wholesale price of energy.

But it is complex

Customers on Agile Octopus are early adopters of the next generation of smart energy. Right at the forefront of time-of-use, dynamic pricing, Agile is in fact, a bit of an experiment to see if customer habits can be shifted based on fluctuating prices – a surefire way to our low-carbon future. But Agile has never never been done before, and that’s because of the complexities involved in energy pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They have targets alright - problem is they rarely overlap with reality....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Germany not only hit their 2020 goal with ease, they actually surpassed it and were 18 months ahead of schedule!

In 2022, even with the war and all that, they still hit 46% renewables. They appear to be well on the way to meeting their goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It can be a lot longer than few days - try 6 weeks straight in Autumn 2021

Here you go:

6 weeks straight of no wind in Ireland. And if you think interconnectors are some marvelous saving your bacon solution, they are not, because these weather systems are generally large and effect the whole of Europe, so all the wind reliant countries on the continent, and the UK/Scotland, will have none to spare either, Everyone will be begging the French to allow them to suck on their reliable nuclear teats.

I'm still amazed at all the fans of renewables who haven't watched that whole video and absorbed the enormity of the problem they think renewables are such a viable solution for. The ESBs master plan is to have 21 Twh of hydrogen storage, and for a country that pisses itself regularly at the thought of nuclear energy, the irony is profound, because that's 1260 Hiroshima atomic bombs worth of energy.

That's 21 Twh using an energy storage medium with an apalling round trip efficiency of 18-46%, so realistically probably 32% outside a lab. It's not made clear in the video, but it's probably reasonable to assume that 21 Twh is how much energy is needed from the storage, so the actual energy content of the stored H will have to be greater. With H gas turbines likely to have an efficiency of no more than 64%, that means actual H storage of 29 Twh - 1715 Hiroshima bombs worth.

Cheers, I'd seen that previously, a long while back but didn't recall that slide. Her slide does show that while generation dropped off, it did not, by in large, go to zero which is what I expected i.e. a low wind period does not equal a no wind period, there is still generation.

Thats also at 2021 levels of wind generation. By 2030 we'll have doubled our onshore wind to 9GW + 5GW of offshore and by 2050 we'll have 30GW of offshore, plus whatever additional onshore we add between 2030 and 2050. So in essence, we'll have over 10 times the amount of wind generation we currently have.

Another thing to consider is we were looking at 5gw of solar by 2030, thats been pulled in to 2025 now and by all accounts, we're likely to blow past it as the rollout is accelerating rapidly. By 2050 who knows what that will be up to but I'd wager that, for a lot of the daylight hours, it would largely cover the demand even in winter. I've seen 4 new housing estates so far where solar is being fitted at the time of construction. Thats going to become the norm as builders chase the A ratings which means we'll have a few hundred k homes with solar by 2050. To be honest, I expect it to become a default requirement for almost any building after 2030.

Her comment on LNG was interesting, where she said "it would bring diversity of supply, but doesn't bring resilience in the form of gas storage." She also noted that the bigger folks would likely swallow up the LNG supply. We saw exactly this happen last winter

The 21 Twh also is if we fully replace all fossil fuel storage with an equivalent but you wouldn't need 21 Twh even in the dead of winter as you would still have some energy from solar, interconnectors etc, even if the wind went to zero and as her chart showed, those periods were rare even in "low wind" periods, so you would still have wind also.

6 weeks ..... so what? You say that like it is a big deal, it really isn't!

If we had to mostly use gas generation for those 6 weeks, but mostly used wind for the rest of the year, it would still easily fall under the 80% of renewables used across the year for the 2030 goal, which would be good until 2050.

You get that the 2030 80% goal is the average across a year, it isn't a daily goal. There could be days where we generate 0% renewables, but as long as there are more the days that we use 100% or more renewables, it balances out.

As DaCor points out, these sort of low wind periods aren't actually "no wind", just "low wind", there can still be wind generation, specially offshore, with larger, taller offshore wind turbines. Also these periods tend to happen in summer, when demand is at it's lowest and now we are adding significant solar generation which will help with such periods.

In the end, it doesn't matter, while not ideal, we can just burn gas when we need too. The goal isn't to be "perfect" here, it is to get to 80% renewables, which would result in an incredible reduction in our greenhouse gas emissions.

Keep in mind, that this 80% includes a big increase in electricity use as we decabonise transport and home heating, moving to EV's and heat pumps. So the amount of emissions saved goes far beyond just the 80% of electricity we use today. It will mean a staggering reduction in our emissions.

People really need to forget about nuclear in Ireland. It ain't happening. If you think the children's hospital cost overrun was bad... Construction of a nuke would make it look like small change. Also, if we assume one is built... given what we're seeing in other countries it could be well into the 2040s or even beyond before we'd see a MWh out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You tout low wind as some sort of gotcha victory. As of right now, wind is providing 12% of demand. That is not a win or saving grace. Ireland is emitting 302g of CO2 per Kwh. In France, they are emitting 23g - 92.4% less.

5 GW of solar produces about 550 mw of power in this country. It's utterly pointless and uneconomic, which is why commercial solar wouldn't exist in most of europe without subsidies. Calling it 'commercial' is a misnomer.

You need to look at that video again and pay closer attention. She specifically stated solar does naff all in winter and your belief that it will satisfy demand during a dunkelfloute is a fantasy. She also said interconnectors aren't a solution or help because large dunkelflaute events tend to cover all of Europe, so no one would have energy to spare to provide us with.

30 GW of offshore - that's going to cost €86 billion to construct and another €26 billion in maintainance - so €116 billion all up. And during a dunkelflaute it's going to generate next to nothing, something the ESB are aware of hence the massive hydrogen storage they are forecasting.

I'll make prediction: By 2040, not even half the projected OSW needed to be constructed to meet targets will have been built.

Having some wind - 12% of demand at the moment - is of no real consequence and doesn't meaningfully alter the scale of the problem that is a grid capable of generating 88% of demand from H that only has a 64% efficiency when using gas urbines.

Your solution seems to be to just keep throwing endless amounts of hypothetical money at the problem and increasing capacity as if it's nearly free to provide and there's some magic money tree somewhere to supply it.

The ESB master plan is unaffordable, and I think they know it, which is why they never even mention costs, let alone provide estimates. Another pridiction is that doubling our onshore wind generation won't happen either, as all the less truoublesome sites have already been used. There will therefore be insurmountable legal and regulatory problems if any attempt is made to achieve it.

Post edited by cnocbui on

So after a bit of digging around I found the data I was looking for, quite a lot of it in fact. I now have data going from 2014 up to 30 days ago, in 15 min time blocks, from the Eirgrid site.

What that now allows me to do is look deeper into the data presented in that youtube video from cnocbiu

Her slide showed these graphs

Which I've recreated from the Eirgrid data which indicates the source is identical for both sets of graphs. Only caveat is I can't be 100% sure of her cutoff dates on the right graph, but I think I'm pretty close

Focusing on the graph on the left, pulling out the demand line allows for a closer view of the generation

Bucketing the generation into 50MW buckets, we get the following breakdown of occurrences

Focusing on the lowest bucket of 0-50MW we see 30 occurrences, detailed below

So yeah, at no point does "low wind" equal "no wind"

Its also worth noting that past low generation during low wind periods will be exceeded from this point on as more and more renewables come on line. As an example, the lowest point above will never been seen in the future as the lowest point will increase over time as we grow from 4GW of wind power presently, to 50+GW of it, plus probably the same in solar.

Have to say thanks to cnoc and tomie for sending me down this rabbit hole of wind generation data, having fun playing with this new found data source.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭gjim

Let's be honest - enthusing about nuclear is really just a form of crypto-climate change denialism. It's not to be taken seriously. It's a refuge "cause" for those cranks that have been wrong about absolutely everything to do with climate change and energy de-carbonization over the last few decades. It provides them with some kind of mental comfort blanket rather than directly face the fact that they were wrong about climate-change and wrong about the growth of solar and wind generation. It's a political/identity politics thing for them, thus no amount of facts will trigger any sort of self-reflection.

Correct. Pretty much all the pro nuclear comment seems to be from posters with an agenda. Talking about the cost issue, legal issue and regulatory issue with building additional offshore wind. Do they have any idea the order of magnitude those issues would increase by if it was nuclear being talked about.

All generation is subsidised, not just solar and wind. What do you think capacity payments are?

Promoting nuclear as a solution while deriding those in favour of wind and solar for throwing money and using a magic money tree to develop renewable capacity is hilarious! 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Planning conditions are now online - all pretty standard for the most part. The one notable one is that production cannot start until there is a connection to GNI network, and that the trucking of hydrogen off-site is not permitted.

No doubt someone will appeal the granting of planning permission to ABP.

We are already importing plenty via interconnectors and will be importing more when the French link gets built in Cork ie. an Irish solution to an Irish problem

Such a lazy and inaccurate analysis when you compare emmissions from the German Grid versus the French one

Looks like Norway has woken up to the fact that offshore wind at least makes no sense in terms of cost and environmental impact - Paddy no doubt will plough on with this nonsense and be the last to cop on🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Nuclear is the only way to avoid the massive price swings that will undoubtedly be downfoisted onto the consumer using smart meters. By the time all those wind and solar farms and expensive interconnectors are built fusion might be ready

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

There's no price 'swing' with nuclear because it only goes up!

Have said before (opinion) we need nuclear in the short term to reduce CO2 emissions but interconnectors and part ownership investments in a French plant is the only (opinion) way to achieve this. No chance of ever building one here with the law and NIMBYism.

I've said previously on the thread I've no issue with nuclear in principle. Just not in Ireland. And re the interconnector.. You failed to mention that France will be getting all our excess wind generation... It's not a one way street.

It's beyond me how anyone can talk about cost and then plug nuclear in the same comment. 🤣

The price swings all balance out. You'll have negative prices when there's lots of renewables generating. Also, that last comment is borderline deranged 😃

We export twice as much electricity as we import over our interconnectors and that balance is expected to remain or even increase with the new ones being built. These interconnectors on balance earn us money.

Keep in mind that over the last year, the lights would have went out in France if it was not for them massively importing electricity from their neighbours, due to almost half of their Nuclear power plants being offline!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Offshore wind in a irish context is looking pretty damn expensive compared to some of the north sea fields ,

The turbines and towers arent manufactured here , the installation is done by ship by multinationals with international crews ,

So it'd be worth investigating why this is expensive and seeing what can realistically be done to reduce the strike price .

1 ,theres plenty of competition so its not likely to be price gouging

2, scale ,none of the recently licensed projects were huge multi gigawatt size project - scale counts

3, timing , you cant really compare a contract from 4 or 5 years ago with a contract today - intrest rates have sky-rocketed and look like staying high , fuel the same ,steel and components , demand for specialist equipment, wages blah blah , it may change in a few years but not today

4, planning and design costs , theyre ridiculously high in Ireland, the level of permission delays , legal delays , ect ect skyrockets the risk , and the cost , if you have to design and plan 7 or 8 project to build 1, that cost has to be borne ..

That last one is the one the Government can do something about , streamlined permissions, better guidance about where and what is acceptable to build , and whats not .. reduces risk and costs

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

And in a way that'd apply to any strategic infrastructure , gas lines , gas power station , nuclear power station ( unlikely in my life time ) , high voltage lines the works ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement