Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2023 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

25°c at Kerry airport 4pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This setup won't even make it to the end of June, would be extreme if it did. We will most likely go back into a default summer pattern into the second half of June with low pressures bumping into Ireland and crossing into Scotland with high pressure edging into southern and eastern Ireland, England and Wales at times. Hopefully in July we will see another spell of weather similar to this one but with the Azores high parked over the UK and Ireland for at least a week or 2, that would be much warmer than the current setup and any easterly breezes would be very tame compared to the current situation.

Aside from western Ireland, the rest of western Europe has been fairly cool compared to normal over the past few weeks, although i think France has warmed up a bit now. A very different setup to this time last year were we had an unsettled May and first half to June while at the same time extreme heat was surging just to our south across Spain/Portugal and well north into France, the plumes were just waiting to burst their way north. No such heat yet anywhere in Europe, the real heat is still in the African continent. No sign of any plume activity or heatwaves in this part of Europe for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Spain already had a plum of sorts in April. Had their hottest ever April day since records began, same for Portugal. They would have been fearing the worst heading in to summer with the drought so it’s great they got some wet weather but I don’t know how much of an impact that had on water levels as I didn’t really follow any of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭pauldry

Their reservoir levels just went up fractionally in Spain. France in the high twenties but rest of Europe rather cool away from the West of Ireland.

Iceland was 22c last night at 4am or maybe it was the night before due to Fohn winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's rare to see so many blue sky days in a row in Galway. I have almost forgotten what clouds look like 🙂

Mace Head had an incredibly dry May for it's location. 30.6mm.

The long term average in Mace Head for May is 82mm.

Mace Head has been below the long term average every month except March. In February it only got 35mm where it's LTA is 98mm.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,237 ✭✭✭highdef

Unusual forecast from Met Eireann, going ahead over a week in one screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Smartphone 1

Day winding down now. And the sun dipping lazily below the houses. Evening birdsong nearly done. All is peace. Bliss.

Dublin. Onshore

• Registered Users Posts: 14,274 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just back from a spinning class and it’s hot and sweaty at the best of times but today was something else! What an evening in Cork City - blue skies and bright sunshine ☀️

Putting clothes and sheets on the line is extremely satisfying these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Had my first swim this evening here in Kerry around 19.30, surprised how easy it was to get in being out so far, a little cool to start but got use to it very quickly, surprised no sting to it as you would expect so early June, spent a lot longer in the water than I thought I would be able for.

Easing down now to 17C from a high of 23.3C out here near the coast. Clear blue skies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Indeed, some Summers we don't even reach that temperature all year!!

Never mind the plumes if we continue this day on day we will be getting 27 or 28 which is exceptional!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Oddly enough it hasn't gone over 20c more than one or twice in Cobh during this spell. But with the strength of the sun its just, well, pretty much perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays Max

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Lovely glow in the sky at 22.45 here near the Kerry coast. 14.7C now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

Really is a different world over here in Kerry these days. Super bright mornings that are a joy to awake to, gin blue skies and glorious heat. I was amazed to read that in some parts of the country older folk are in winter jackets doing their shopping. Here in Kerry, even the golden oldies are rocking their sun gear, even late into the evening. I nipped out to Dunnes just before 9PM and it was like being abroad. Long may it last!

It's the first time I've experienced this phenomenon and I've been back in Kerry for 26 years. I'm normally green with envy at the much better weather over east but I well remember this happening in May 97. I was living in Dublin then which was cool and cloudy while Kerry basked. It seems highest ever May temps were recorded here that year, as pointed out by a poster in the Spring thread. It really is glorious.😍

Yeah. Same. Wet in March but fairly dry in both February and May. January normal and April a bit below. April n May were both cold by day bar the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Another cloudy start in east coast Dublin, I'm not surprised it was only a high of 15 in Dublin Airport yesterday, it felt fresh to me when you're in the breeze.

Glad the west are getting some nice weather though, you deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Stunning few days in Leitrim recently. When the sun shines we really are blessed to live in Ireland.

Ya this is the nicest weather in quite a while though today and tomorrow more clouds about. Might be periods of no sun but its warm so doesn't matter. Its probably 17c already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Perfect summer weather imo. Low humidity, temperatures not too warm ,generally sunny, a cool breeze. Rather this then humid muggy weather with very warm temperatures etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

Cold on the bike in Dublin City this morning, I hate that cold east-north east wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yes I found it quite cold too on bike about an hour ago! Wind coming from north alright

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think most people are sick of it by now. I wouldn't say no to a nice south-easterly or south-westerly as long as their is no rain or showers with it. A bog standard flat westerly would also be warmer than the current setup. Unfortunately right now there is no sign of anything 'southerly' for the foreseeable future. We have at least another week of this easterly setup and currently it looks like it will break down in week 2 of June and be replaced by a northerly or north-easterly with low pressure and cool upper air temperatures but this scenario is a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another glorious morning in Galway city, it's like a different climate in the last week. Few fair weather clouds around today for the first time in ages, but nothing major.

Another beautiful morning in Kerry, 18.1C, caim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Average enough morning in Cork today, 14-15 degrees and quite overcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Smashing day yet again,long may it continue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Another cracker of a morning in Galway. It's starting to feel weird - all these blue skies in a row. Can't wait for 5pm and the weekend!

• Advertisement

Cloudy, breezy and cool here in Meath, a rather chilly 12C and wearing my standard winter clothes. Getting very fed up of this chilly easterly at this stage. If it's this cool 20km inland it must be really chilly along the coast.

The good news is that this chilly easterly should be less noticeable from tomorrow to about Tuesday with temperatures in eastern areas climbing back up above 15C over the weekend where 20 or 21C is possible away from the coast.

For western half of the country the warm weather will continue but probably less warm than it has been recently with temperatures around 22C and more in the way of cloud coming and going over the weekend, there may even be some isolated showers.

Saturday sees an improvement in temperatures for eastern half of the country, 20C or thereabouts certainly better than the current low to mid teen values.

Sunday may be slightly warmer again with 21C possible in parts of Leinster.

Bank Holiday Monday could be the best day as long as we can keep cloud cover to a minimum with 22 or even 23C possible in eastern areas.

Advertisement