Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorised development/planning enforcement/ my letter shown in file

Options
  • 27-05-2023 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

If I object in writing to an unauthorised development - a neighbour building a small extension with planning permission (not an exempted development) has at the same time added a second visible extension - will my letter appear on the planning file of the original permitted development? If not there, where will the letter be visible? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Those would be separate issues and your letter will remain on the confidential unauthorised development file when it's opened. An enforcement officer will of course examine the previous file but your submission will remain private.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,101 ✭✭✭✭elperello

As above your letter will be confidential.

However the neighbour could look for it under Freedom of Information. In the unlikely event that he does the Data Controller of the local authority will write to you and ask you to make a submission on the request.

You can write back and request that it remains confidential and that will be the end of the matter.

It's not in the interest of the local authority to give out the information because it would deter people from giving them leads.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’ve not heard of a single case where the original complaint details have been given out yet, thankfully.

Its the main reason the Plan Enf Officer carries out a site inspection after the 4 week timeframe, so they get their eyes on the ground and any subsequent court testimony is based on the officers inspection rather than the original complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Wil the original planing file show that it is being considered UD/is a UD?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You cannot object to an extension already under construction.

You can make a complaint to Plan Enf who will investigate it. If they deem planning is required, then any subsequent planning application will not make any mention of your Plan Enf complaint.

Advertisement