Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qfa exam tips and tricks

• 02-05-2023 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Everyone, hope you are all doing well.

I'm due to sit the Regulation and Loan modules with IOB in September. I've just signed up for the next semester.

Just wondering if you have any tips and tricks on the course content I'd be delighted if you could share please and thanks

I work full-time so I want to use my study time wisely !

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to do with Feedback. Confirm your email address so you can post properly, then I'll move this to a forum that's related to the topic instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Claireobb

OK thanks, I have confirmed email address now. Thanks for you help 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sinead-IE

I sat my Loans on Saturday. Not sure how best you revise but for me I highlighted every important line in yellow on my hard copy of the textbook. For anything specific in terms of numbers I wrote bullet points on flashcards (like values/years/thresholds e.g. €3,000 pa gift tax exempt, CMCAR cooling off period 30 days, CCR 14 days, CCA 10 days etc). Read my highlighted textbook about 3 or 4 times and then the week of the exam, constantly flick through the flashcards (only had 10 front and back which wasn't a lot) and did every sample question I could do about three times over. I also recorded myself on my phone using Voice Memos reading out all of the highlighted textbook (1h50mins long haha - you can pause, don't have to do it in one sitting lol) and then just played that when I was out for a walk, driving, getting ready in mornings lol Probably a bit excessive to some but I ended up getting just 3 questions wrong on my exam so worked for me :) (Work 40hrs a week, single mammy and also doing a diploma through work on something else so had to squeeze every bit of learning where I could!) If you need anything else let me know, and if you have anything on Regulations you could send on I'd appreciate it cuz trying to see if I can take on it over the summer or maybe just give myself a break lol best of luck!

Thanks soo much for your reply I really appreciate it. I will take all the tips I can get. I love the tips you have suggested and I'm thrilled for you that you have passed congratulations that's super.

I got the loans and regulations books in the post so I have been reading through them so for. The course is to start on the 6th of June. I will be studying as per your tips as I need to read it, write it and do that over again ha ha.

I love the recording tip, I'm definitely going to try that. I need to pass these on the first go as they are so expensive. I'm working 40 hours too with 1 child and hubby but he works a lot so most of the time I'm on my own eekk. I hear you it's tough but we can do it.

Have you completed all 6 modules? I'm going to do 2 at a time and hopefully have the course completed in a year please god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Keep doing the MCQ questions on the IOB site, you'd be surprised how many similar questions there are on the actual exam. Also be careful about answering too many questions with the negative marking - when I did them I went through the exam once and answered everything I was 100% certain on. If at this stage I was sure I had enough to pass I just stopped, if not I'd go through the paper again and see if there were any questions I could narrow the answers down to two choices and make an educated guess.

EDIT: Also, the books used to show how many questions could be asked of each chapter, I used to spend more time on the chapters with a higher possible number of questions

• Advertisement

Thanks I will keep that in mind. The negative marking scares me a bit. The book 1 got does show the possible amount of questions so that's a bit of a bonus. I agree I will spend more time on the higher number of questions per chapter.

If I leave any questions blank is that negative marking or just 0 ?

I will be trying every question I can get practice on till I get them right.

Thanks for the advise guys. I really appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Animating

HI there, Im also doing regulations in Sept. Does anyone have any old questionnaires I can work through.

Thanks a mill

Animating, I haven't gotten onto the online stuff yet. I'm going through the books now but I think there is some online on the IOB app. I'm hoping they are really helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Don't leave anything blank. When you do the exam, there's 5 options - a, b, c, d and e. If you're not sure or don't want to answer a question, you fill in e. Not sure if leaving it blank leads to a negative mark or not but not worth the risk

Oh thanks for the heads up on that. No it's definitely not worth the risk it's bad enough -3 for a wrong answer eekk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 DayTraderTy

Hi All,

I’m on the verge of enrolling for the QFA with IOB.

I’m hoping to complete 3 modules per trimester, so will hopefully be done by the middle of next year at the latest. Is that a viable plan? I’m self employed, with a fair bit of free time and experience in the industry.

Also, is there a suggested order I should perhaps look at doing them in?

Any help or advice is hugely appreciated.

Advertisement