Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭El Vino

As well as coming inside, quality of their kicking game is hugely important for Irish wingers, I think its a particular weakness of both Baloucoune and Larmour. In fact Hansen, Lowe and JOB well ahead of all the others as far a kicking goes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I too would have Loughman and Milne (and probably several others) ahead of Kilcoyne, but Farrell's done such an outstanding job that he almost deserves to be immune from criticism, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

That’s actually a reason i thought Balacoune might be in this squad at least.

France, SA and NZ know they either will be playing us or need to beat us to make a world cup final.

Everyone who has watched Ireland play will know that a key part of the ireland game plan is kicking long. I think all three of those teams will be coming up with game plans to stop that, and all three could roll out the most obvious solution. Pick a highly athletic game breaking back three and run everything back. Only think about kicking off front foot ball 4/5/6 phases after the return.

We could preempt that by box kicking more to make it contestable and take those players out of the game somewhat. If we did that, Balacoune is a great kick chaser and excels in a transition game where the ball is being contested and the field is somewhat more broken.

Its going to be interesting. All along our goal has been to get really good at plan A and i think all three of those teams will have thought very hard on how to counter that plan.

I honestly wouldn’t kick much to ireland that isn’t contestable. And I’d be happy to see scrums. Especially for France and South Africa. On exits from deep in the 22 i even think teams will try to keep it in play and make Ireland’s back three run it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We could preempt that by box kicking more to make it contestable and take those players out of the game somewhat. If we did that, Balacoune is a great kick chaser and excels in a transition game where the ball is being contested and the field is somewhat more broken.

Nash in the URC final, basically.

That’s true, Nash is a great kick chaser too.

The game we played against South Africa last year, we didn’t kick long as much either. It worked in that one. Although i think a different ref and/or a different SA 10 and we lose that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I’m not imagining some anti-Ulster conspiracy here or questioning the picks for wings. The guys have made good choices there so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yea, almost every winger who was picked can kick. I’m not sure how that applies to what i wrote tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Should have replied to the post you were replying to, not yours. Was reading them both together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Someone said Coombes doesn't offload or add much in open play

Well, look at his offload for the official Heineken Cup Try of the Season

people who don't rate Coombes just haven't been paying attention

Forward

Not actually forward at all. It was perfectly flat. The ball was gathered parallel to where it was passed from if you look at where the players are standing

You're confusing up with forward due to the angles in the broadcast

Daly is standing behind Coombes when he catches the ball at head height without having to reach

It was an excellent pass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Some of Munster’s play this season has been out of this world. Not fancy Dan moves guide by video analysis but heads up rugby and incredible skill. That try but also the winning try on Saturday. Great to support the current No.1 team in Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Italy and South Africa.

Coombes is work rate and power carrying and people are comparing him to guys like Conan who do alot of their carrying in wider channels. Its like a complete inability to understand context.

LeBlock by Coombes after 74 mins, Coombes chasing a kick and getting there in time to create that try scoring opportunity. I haven't seen his stats for the game but watching it a few times I guarantee that they were outstanding.

Conan has had a resurgence in recent months, but he's no Coombes

Lol. The EPCR and everyone who voted for try of the tournament agree with me.

Also the pictures I presented to you show it clearly didn't go forward

Nope. What they agree with you on is that it was a good try.

I would say your photos showing it ending up about a foot forward of where it was thrown by an almost static player mean it was forward. I mean, the halfway line is right there for reference. But we'll agree to disagree.

• Advertisement

It was a few feet higher when it was caught then when it was passed.

The joys of isometric projection

Post edited by Akrasia on

The camera would have to be on Munster's side of halfway to confuse upwards with forwards.

As it is he throws it almost straight at the camera, which removes confusing upwards with forwards from the equation.

Your only argument is that Coombes still has a tiny bit of momentum forwards, and that's what makes the ball travel forwards. But it's not enough, for me.

Unfortunately you're still wrong.

If Daly had caught the ball at the same elevation that it was passed from, then it would have been obviously forward.

But

Rising balls look like they're going forward from the camera perspective, falling balls look like they're going backwards

Just look at the players feet.

Coombes is clearly ahead of Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

You're trying to be a bit too clever here and showing your lack of understanding. A rising ball doesn't always look as if it's travelling more forward than it is. It depends on where the camera is. If the camera is in front of play, as in this case (very marginally), a ball travelling upwards would actually look as if it was travelling more backwards than it actually is.

A pass between level players could be forward if the passer was facing his own goalline, or passing it from behind his body. Simple enough stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭ersatz

Love Coombes and he's really made his mark this year. I expect him to feature for Ireland but not for the WC as there's a heap of guys with Farrell credits in the bank ahead of him. BUT, why are people pointing to this pass as some indication of his outstanding rugby skills or brain? This is a solid piece of play I'd expect of any senior cup 8 who should be well able to pass the ball. Most kids who play rugby have mastered this skill. It's arguably more about the receiver than the passer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So we've progressed from

"It wAs FoRwArD"

to

"aNy sEnIor CuP eIgHt cOuLd dO iT"

Can't wait for the next chapter.

It's an improvement on the narrative that Coombes only boshes over the line from 2 metres with the help of 2 other latchers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's sad, is what it is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Is it all he does? No.

Is it the majority of what he does? Yes

Advertisement