Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Does seem to be turning very Hunger Games like. The Capital takes and take, and the Districts have finally had enough.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭amandstu

I don't have any historical reference but I suspect that ,going by the past we might expect the next rulers of Russia to be Ukraine.

Thing is ,though why would they want Ruzzia's ** problems?

It feels like there may be a tipping point coming soon,but I can't say what it is going to look like.

**childish name calling I know.Won't happen again even if they deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭amandstu

Russia has declared an illegal war on its neighbour.There is nothing remotely nice about that.

That is not a good reason to start pontificating as to the niceness of a whole group of people over another

We have to take people as we find them.

I doubt very much if I was living in Russia now I would be feeling very nice to other people.

The Germans and the Japanese have been demonized for their past actions as a political grouping but we have hopefully got past that now.

Let's not build up a stigma against Russians who,at the end of the day are ,for the most part as deserving of drawing breath as we are

By the way I give a free pass for direct victims of the Russian regime to give vent as much rational or irrational enmity and scorn as seems appropriate but we don"t fall into that category thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Darth Putin nails it again:

NATO did 2 things to provoke this war.

1. Being seen by Ukraine as a better option than Russia is

2. Actually being a better for Ukraine than Russia is

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Virgil°

And here's a picture of an elderly woman who lost her daughter and granddaughter in said same strike. I can't even begin to conceive this kind of grief and I hope I never have to. But but but peace now..... we need to negotiate! 🙄

Ben Hodges spoke again recently and made a good point that I hadn't thought about. The ICC really need to start dishing out more charges for the people behind these strikes. Every single person who inputs a coordinate, who flies a plane and launches a missile. Name and shame them, we know who many of them are. Putin may not care beyond some embarrasment that his life in civilised society outside of Russia is over. He's an old man with a short lifeline and billions of dollars worth of real estate.

But these operators are not. It's time to hold them all accountable for this. It may shake the bough somewhat when the younger people around Putin realise that they'll be sinking with this rotten ship when it starts taking on water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Germans and the Japanese have been demonized for their past actions as a political grouping but we have hopefully got past that now.

Only after both underwent radical regime and political change. Japan is effectively demilitarized and the Germans are basically the experts now at denouncing Nazis.

Russia is still carrying on with the same KGB at the wheel as ever. Until the KGB and the culture inside Russia that props it up is dismantled Russia will remain a rogue state.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Willing or unwilling - what difference does it make if they are supporting this Russian regime and their special military operation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The corrupt culture inside Russia is not going to change while so many people do well out of it.

It is endemic, hard-wired and ubiquitous.

Having read a few books on the subject, it's not the FSB and GRU that are keeping it going, it's just become a way of life to be absent of transparency, accountability, laws of business and commerce, to be corrupt in central and local government, the police, the Courts, the military, the civil service, schools and universities, sport, medicine and social care.

It happened as a rebound against the all-controlling misery of communist centralised rule 35 years ago and really it's the same record, just a different tune.

Perhaps this catastrophic mis-step of the Putin regime may cause Russians across the social and cultural classes to look more soberly at their core values and way of life, but I doubt it.

Ukraine will regain its territory to its 2014 borders, Putin will leave the stage and a change will come, that much is certain.

But I suspect that what comes next may be even worse, rather than better.

Medvedev, Prigozhin, Kadarov.....none of them would exactly inspire hope.

going to need confirmation on this, but huge if true

DELETED FOR NOW - Cannot verify source

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭vixdname

As a father of a 9 year old girl myself, this image just tears at my very soul when imagining the utter despair that grandfather must be feeling, not only for the loss of his granddaughter, but also for how bad he feels for his own child who has in turn lost their baby in such disgusting circumstances, all because of the empirical delusions of the high heel wearing, poison dwarf who dwells in the kremlin.

For this alone, Putin deserves nothing but pain and misery for the rest of his life, and it will come, in one form or another, it will come, I just hope for the sake of all the rest of the children in Ukraine, that its sooner rather than later.

Utter bastards.

Reported that Moldova is opening its territory to the UAF for operations. But only one source reporting on it and no mention from any of the usual reliables.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭jmreire

Willingly supporting or forced to support? Do you honestly believe for one minute that the majority of Russians want to go and die in Ukraine? There are draconian penalty's for anyone who refuses to go and fight. And even when groups of soldiers actually in Ukraine refused to fight, they were threatened with death, starved and beaten ( and this in wintertime) until they changed their minds. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Putin's actions, or Russian's in general, but he's a monster and I don't believe that he has all the support that is claimed.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

In my innocence, when I first went to Russia, I thought that everyone who lived there were Russian...But the innocence didn't last long especially after I called a colleague a Russian. In the silence that followed, in which you could hear a pin drop, I was introduced into the intricacies' of Russian Society. First off. never assume that the person you are speaking to is an ethnic Russian. In fact until you know who you are talking to, do not introduce ethnicity at all. And never, ever call some one Russian. Ethnic Russians especially outside Moscow and in the Republics are not popular. While hated might be a shade too strong a word to describe the relationship, its not to far off the mark either. Lets just say that ethnic Russians outside of Moscow will always find themselves having to swim against the tide. If you as an ethnic Russian are taking a case against a local in a republic, best of luck to you, because you will need it, even if you have a watertight case. Russians are not trusted, and as we are seeing now, with good reason. If there's going to be any push back against Putin, my guess is that it will start in the republics'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't really see the difference as regards the population in general. For sure, soldiers declining to be involved will have it tough. But the ordinary populace could find all sorts of ways to frustrate this war if they really wanted to. As reported, they are happily or unhappily taking the state propaganda at face value that NATO is attacking them and Russia is engaged in a great war of defence. At the same time, citizens of the Russian state will have access to both world media and more importantly messaging from Ukrainian relations and friends. The realities of the losses and number of deaths and the rising costs of living must be affecting all. So they can't be excused - the ordinary populace could find all sorts of ways to frustrate this war if they really wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭IdHidden

Bit difficult to negotiate with people that want to exterminate you.

Fiorsceal on TG4 tonight is about the war in Donbas since 2014.

I have never been to Russia but it did occur to me that there would be an element of condecention for the eastern 'Russians' among the real Moscovites.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I am convinced that one of the main reasons that Putin picked Medvedev as his constitutional fluffer back in 2008 was that he was one of the few people around who are actually shorter than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

russian revolutionary habits remind me of the iodine clock reaction. it might look new and fantastic for one generation and switch back to depressed and stagnant next

Furze, in a society where carrying a white rose, or a blank sheet of paper gets you arrested. A 6 or 7 year old kid mentions to his friends in school that his mum and dad are against the war, the teacher overhears it and reports it to the police. Both parents are arrested, and the child taken into care. You have no idea Furze, the amount of control Putin's mafia has over the population. Sure they have a very good idea of what's happening ( or at least a good % do) and the balance ( mainly older Russians due to pension issues) are 110% behind Putin. Putin's biggest worry is any kind uprising in the population, he's paranoid about it, and has absolutely no qualms about heavily cracking down on even the slightest infringement. Can you imagine.." From next Monday on, you have to work an extra day each week without pay as part of your patriotic duty to protect the Motherland or alternatively, you can report to the local munitions factory for 2 hours each evening after your normal work day ends." Can you imagine just what the state will do to you for any sabotaging the war effort? There was one production manager of a facility making tank part's, and before the annual inventory, he committed suicide ( or more likely was suicided ) You must understand, that there are no protection laws for Russian Citizens, Putin has effectively destroyed the Russian constitution. Maybe now though there's a glimmer of hope with these armed incursions by the freedom party. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Lil Fred

Lot of chatter that the Leopard II panzer fists will be unleashed on June 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pummice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

So all that talk from Musk about not weaponizing Starlink was bollocks. He just wanted money all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Came from a single telegram channel,

Read it this morning and laughed it off , just the day after Poland sent a few C130 full of ammo and equipment for the Moldovan army ,

• Registered Users Posts: 82,417 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

i found the following to information sources re Russia/USSR /pre USSR as ABSOLUTLY riveting :-

(1) post no 92732 . It last for 18 min and is by Vald Vexler - a UK based Philisopher. I am not saying it is true or false or half true or whatever . You can make up your own mind

(2) A u tube presentation by Martti Kari. A retired Finnish intelligence officer. Lasts a little over an hour.

I am making no judgement on either but they both give at least one side of where Russia has come from and why different categories of Russians - from Putin down- behave as they now do.

They both have helped me to understa

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement