Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Gorillaz a good example. Sold around 30 million albums worldwide which dwarfed Blurs sales. Yet even Albarn said, in purely the UK and Ireland market Blur always outsold Gorillaz and has a huge pull he'd never accounted for.

When it became uncool to like Blur in the mid 90s they reinvented themselves and are one of the few bands who've endured the test of time, which had even surprised Albarn. He had no plans to ever go back to them, but the sheer weight of popular support forced them to come back.

They're still one of the most relevant bands today, moreso in UK than Ireland. One of the most loved bands the UK has ever produced

They sold it out and refused to do a second night as he wants to limit the gigs, they're all glorified warm up gigs for wembly stadium. How on earth do you know if they wouldn't sell it out a second time, I can't get a ticket myself for love nor money, and they're going for big money.

Factor in the thousands who go for slane regardless of who plays, they'd easily sell it out. Your talking as if they're a small band, they're one of the biggest selling bands ever in the UK and Ireland market. Song 2, Parklife, Girls and Boys, The Universal, Coffee and TV etc, songs literally everyone knows. You obviously went through the 90s with your head in the sand

Name me a band that was bigger than Blur in the UK market than Blur at their peak, and who outsold them, who hasn't already played Slane? Your going to realize it's very few

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

cause 80,000 tickets is a complete different ballpark than 20,000.

thousands don’t go to Slane for the fun of it.

blur didn’t even do Slane when they were at their most popular.

they just wouldn’t do 80,000 tickets in 2023/2024. Their most recent shows have been IMMA and malahide which are both 15k-20k range

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I can't get a ticket myself for love nor money, and they're going for big money.

You're not looking hard enough, resales going on Ticketmaster for a tenner over face.

• Advertisement

They've refused to do a second night in Malahide despite demand. 20,000 is being deemed a warm up gig for them in Slane.

In the 90s it was well documented they were overlooked for Slane as to being a knees up pop band who became uncool after 95, you trying to tell me the Verve were bigger than them? Verve weren't even close to their level of popularity.

Which then led to the friction which cause the fall out between Albarn and Mountcharles when Mountcharles crawled back, asking Albarn to bring Gorillaz to Slane, and thereafter Blur, when he realized real rock bands were few on the ground, and Blur had changed their sound and were cool again.

When I say Blur should be playing Slane, it's nothing to do with them not being asked, it's to do with a silly feud between Albarn and Mountcharles.

Blur sold Metallica out the door in the UK and Ireland. How many casual music fans could name more than one Metallica song? How many tickets did they sell? Every person living in the UK and Ireland knows Song 2, the Universal, Parklife, Girls and Boys etc

Blur are a giant in this market, and have been revived several times due to the huge demand. As I said name one band who haven't already played Slane, bigger than Blur in this market? They're far and few between

How do you fake Ticketmaster resale? Please explain?

Are you a placebo fan by any chance?

Logged in yesterday and nothing. I'll try again tomorrow if that's the case. From all the other sites I seen tickets, ridiculous money as usual.

Maybe ticket master have it more under control now?

Blur are a giant in this market, and have been revived several times due to the huge demand. As I said name one band who haven't already played Slane, bigger than Blur in this market? They're far and few between

Every album in Ireland that sold 60,000 or more copies, musical giants such as Il divo, Shayne warde and the mamma Mia soundtrack. Care to venture a guess who aren't on the list?

• Advertisement

Placebo alright, as were Bluetones etc. Nothing compared to the level of popularity Blur operated at, and still do, despite being inactive for near two decades, with a few reunions.

Just goes to show the enduring pull and popularity. Yet we're told they couldn't sell out slane, despite Mountcharles trying as hard as he could to get them to play, when he realized old school rock bands were thin on the ground

How many UK acts there had one hit wonder albums? Yet Blur outsold them on the long run with consistent popularity.

At their height they were the posh toffs in Ireland, versus Oasis, the Irish working class band here. At their height, they struggled in Ireland to an extent, but since lost that tag. And have repeatedly sold out every gig they played here on their reunions.

Yes they are bigger in the UK, but let's not downplay their enduring popularity here either

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

Easy, Miller, easy. Take a few deep breaths. Damon Albarn isn't going to sleep with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I was always oasis in the blur or oasis debate. Unfortunately oasis turned to sh1t after be here now while blur continued on at their high level and even advanced.

I distinctly remember reading those running Oxegen were struggling to sell out year after year after circa 2007.

In 2009 they couldn't sell it out either until they got in Blur who weren't originally on the bill, but had reformed, so for that year alone they had a 4th headliner. Snow Patrol had to make way for Blur on the headline stage on the main night as it was such a coup

They didn't outsell them though, or the sales would reflect that.

Nobody is downplaying them, they are an RDS/Marlay level band, which is very very respectable, but they're not Slane big.

And despite being experimental thereafter, were still commercially successful.

It's baffling how many people think, this 90s juggernaut, wouldn't sell out slane. They know better than Mountcharles clearly, who for over a decade has been desperate for Albarn to bring over either Gorillaz or Blur

I don't know another band, to any level, in the UK market, who could of went up against Oasis at their peak and held their own.

Ye they lost, but drew mammoth support themselves, to a level most other bands never seen in the UK market, even the likes of global bands like AC/DC etc.

Blur as is big as it comes in the UK market, to which we're an extension of, and after the mid 90s have consistently grew in support here after they lost their tag as posh toffs

The oasis journey of definitely maybe to be here now was the greatest musical adventure of my lifetime. It probably peaked at What’s the story but I love all 3 albums. This era was perfect, much better than any of the stone roses.

• Advertisement

Ye but from what I've read they needed circa 120,000 to sell out and had about 70000, blur drove it up to about 110,000, and if given more time probably would of sold out

Right, we're not agreeing, but consider the original point. You really telling me, Blur don't have the ability to do a gig bigger than 20k in Ireland? Really?

The stone roses first album was better imo, blurs Parklife a close second, but they got stuck in the mud with the great escape.

No one ever came out with such a statement of intent as Oasis though. But even their first album, cigarettes and alcohol is a complete rip off of bang a gong by trex.

Slide away and supersonic a different level to anything else anyone produced though

If you actually read my posts instead of trying to write some rambling essays, I clearly called blur an RDS/Marlay park level band, 30-40k is about their level, closer to 30 if I'm being honest, but on a summer Saturday with decent support they could probably hit 40. Anything bigger than that would be a reach.

Yes slide away, supersonic, Colombia and live forever are classics. The summer they played knebworth, lock lomond and parc chaimh in cork was epic concerts. Be here now gets slated a lot but I think it’s good, the guitars are searing on it. But it was that tour where it all started to go wrong, the stage setup was a bit silly, the us tour didn’t go great and the fights started to go out of control.

Thousands head to Slane no matter what, even more with just a "decent name" playing. The amount of youth who'd look them up and realize they actually know their songs, even more support.

Their problem to an extent is Albarn purposefully left the limelight and hid behind holligrams. You'll regularly notice everyone knows their songs, but didn't realize it was Blur, as they made a point of disappearing.

With a drive in marketing to refresh the mind of the world who they are, and it's them actually singing the countless songs everyone knows off by heart, they'd be a massive success imo.

Their music has persistently endured despite the best efforts from the members of the band themselves to disappear. That's why Albarn brought them back, no matter what he did, the demand and pressure was still there. He never even wanted one reunion.

He reformed to give the people what they wanted. Blur have a mammoth pull, how anyone can say otherwise I dunno. They're a juggernaut of the British music industry, enduring decade after decade, in a way few other bands are, despite literally no marketing and inactivity

Be hear now a classic imo. Don't go away hits me everytime. I'll give Oasis that, they could hit highs Blur couldn't, as could the Verve.

But I've never seen a band reinvent themselves like blur, where everything they touch is beautiful. Just listen to their new song. Incredible. Even Liam Gallagher said their lead single from their last album was the song of the year.

Over time both Gallagher's have actually acknowledged the genius of Albarn, a once in a generation songwriter

It’s very different in England. The biggest band there is artic monkeys, they are revered as gods. I think they are bigger than blur or oasis ever were. They would sell out anywhere over there.

They're bigger in the states either were, that's the misconception. But never came close to the support of either in purely the UK market, few did.

Beatles the biggest selling band ever, Oasis bigger in the UK market alone though, Blur not far behind them.

Blur and Oasis hit I crescendo never seen before or since in the UK market. Both immortalized in how they brought a nation to a standstill, were the headline news.

Nothing has ever come close to that before or since

The shoulders of giants is awful tho. Little James possibly the worst song ever, and the first song Liam wrote!! Then the album after that, it has 1 classic song Stop crying your heart out (England getting knocked out of WC 2002!!) but near rest of it was poor.

• Advertisement

Love songbird though, and a big fan of beady eye tbh, think it's better than Liam's solo stuff

Advertisement