Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users Posts: 24,316 ✭✭✭✭phog

I heard of some lady going into Supermacs for a 99 for him 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Interested if anyone has any other thoughts, or if there's stuff I'm forgetting, but some of my own on the season that was:

Player of the Season: John Kleyn

The cornerstone of our season, the final making it 19 starts in a row, often performing as the only lock in the pack. Seriously improved handling too.

Honorable Mention: Tadhg Beirne and Gavin Coombes

Beirne's been putting in world class performances for nearly 3 years now, and Coombes put in some huge performances, responding following his dropping from the Ireland squad in November.

Game of the Season: URC Final

The 12 year drought finally ended, and what a way to go about it.

Honorable Mention: PUC vs SA A

The turning point of our season, where things finally began to click following that now infamous start of 2 wins from 7.

Try of the Season: Tadhg Beirne vs Toulouse

More offloads in a single phase than we had in a full 80 minutes under JVG.

Honorable Mention: John Hodnett vs Stormers

70+ minutes on the clock, almost every player with their hands on the ball, and your season at stake. Class.

Moment of the Season: I'm just gonna leave this here.

Honorable Mention: Snyman's return.

With around 60 minutes in 2 and a half seasons, it was brilliant to see him finally take to the pitch again.

Young Player of the Year: Jack Crowley.

Take a bow, Jack. Some serious performances at the pointy end of the season. De facto starting 10 for next season, and off to a RWC for himself.

Honorable Mention: Edwin Edogbo

Huge for us in the early part of the season when we were missing all of Beirne, Wycherly, Snyman and Ahern. Looks a serious prospect.

Breakthrough Player: Calvin Nash

We ended last season with Earls and Conway as our defacto starting wingers, but in their absence, Nash (and Daly) have made the starting jersey's their own.

Honorable Mention: Frisch.

Tidy piece of recruitment, and a player who seems vital to how Munster play. His ability to distribute, offload and scramble is pretty vital to how we play now. 

+1

I would like to mention JOD, Joey and Rory Scannell, they dragged us through a few URC games but missed out on the final. If I had to pick one of those 3 it would probably be Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Fineen Wycherley taking on the role of a blindside flanker in a 3 lock pack has activated beast mode. He was unreal in the 2nd half of the season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭50HX

I'd agree with Kleyn as player of the season with Nash & Daly v close, I thought they too were v consistent

Round 8& 9 were massive games as well as the potential shown v SAfrica game was built on

Looking forward to next season already

Think Zebo is done, Hope to see Conway back along with more from Tom Ahern

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

Ahern and Edogbo could have a big part to play in next season if they can stay injury free. The hunt for a new 10 will need to start though. I think Carberry has one foot out the door

I wouldn't be writing Carbery off just yet, if Munster have shown anything it's they give players time. I know RGS's injury is not the same but we gave him all the time in the world to return from 2 injuries. It looks to me that Joey was given some sort of sabbatical to allow him refresh and hopefully he'll return in better form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Coombes is player of the season for me; played 16 URC games, scored 10 tries, carried 250 times for an average of over 2 metres per carry. He had huge impact moments like "Le Block" against the Stormers, his turnover vs Leinster in the dying minutes in the semi final, his assist to his cousin for the try against Leinster in the regular season and the spectacular behind the back offload to Shane Daly to start the move for try of the season vs Toulouse, just off the top of my head. Kleyn played more games and kept us motoring when we had a lot of second row injuries but Coombes has been a far more impactful player over the year.

• Advertisement

Liam Coombes try is worth a shout for Try of the Year as well. Super individual score.

Yes and at the time I thought it was down to weak defence but since then we've seen a lot of Munster players make yardage after getting through the first tackle. I wonder is that down to our attack more son that saying it was poor defence.

Clutch Win - aside from the DF to beat Leinster, a game I thought we should have been winning anyway I'd say our win in Ravenhill must be the winner. At around the 65th minute it was 14-5, in the last 10 minutes we kicked a penalty to bring it to 14-8 and in the dying seconds got a converted try to snatch the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What was the game (Glasgow?) we were losing by at least 2 scores, POM started a row and planted some gigantic South African on his arse, got binned, Leinster fans all called him a thug, team got a new lease of life and came back and won.

Probably my clutch win of the season, on so many levels.

Was that not Sharks, away from home, last game of the pool stages and we drew it but were held up over the line to deny us a TB win with the clock in red.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It would be really good TV for someone to pull together the good, the bad and the ugly of Munster's season just past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leinster fans all called him a thug

We "all" absolutely didn't.

YES!

Ox wandering over to bro-fist RG on the bench while all hell broke loose 🤣

A short article from the Clare Echo on Ged McNamara & Ethan Coughlan.

The nadir of the JVG era was arguably that turgid game in the Sportsground around a year and a half ago.

The entire 23 had a total of 45 passes that day.

Jack Crowley alone had 42 vs Stormers.

Some difference.

• Advertisement

If we had Ox Nche we could get to a Heino final imo...

That said... if Dragons had Ox Nche they'd make the QFs...

(I'm a big big fan of Ox Nche)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

How can you call yourself a Leinster fan with that attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭leakyboots

That no-good, one-trick pushover pony Gavin Coombes is now on 35 tries for Munster at the grand old age of 25.

Howlett, All Blacks top try scorer, scored 35 for us in his 114 appearances. CJ (136 apps), an 8 not shy of the tryline, is on 38. Foley scored 39 in his 188 appearances and our finest ever, Wallace, scored 40 in 197 appearances.

Coombes has played 73 times for Munster. Outrageous.

I was reminded of this interview last night on MFs.

Interesting to re-listen to it at the end of the season.

Final question about possibly being the third best province was great.

Not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's debatable to be honest. And I'm saying that as a munster fan.

I think the league table tells you a lot more about the standings rather than the result of the playoffs.

I'd say ulster and Munster are pretty neck and neck. However munster are on the way up and ulster on the way down.

So I would expect us to finish ahead of them on the league table next year.

I see what you're saying, but our 22/23 league position was heavily skewed by the poor results during the initial phase of the reset.

There's also the issue of what a team's objective should be. Leinster have topped the last two seasons at a canter, but have no silverware to show for it. Give me 5th and a trophy any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Its about how you play for me. I don’t for a second believe how Ulster play can beat a big pack in europe. I do think Munster’s style can get there and now there is proof of concept with a trophy in year one as well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'd play out of my skin for you ulsteru20s, oh captain my captain.

• Advertisement

Good point yeah. The wild card for me next season will be Fekitoa's departure. He was such a massive contributor to the late surge, on both sides of the ball. Fast in defensive linespeed, big and powerful for the breakdown, fantastic decision maker and distributor. He's an All Black ffs.

So if one of Nankivel or SOB can hit the ground running, Munster are in a terrific position to continue improving next season as we see more of the likes of Ahern and Edogbo.

But Fekitoa is a gigantic hole to replace.

Advertisement