Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Boards is quieter at the moment for sure. The fitness Forum is like a grave as well.

Really just die hard posters, bots and trolls left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

I was wondering about Whiskey Live too. I was tempted, but didn't real see anything anything in the marketing blurb that really drew me in

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

I went, obviously too much to try in one day, but an absolute highlight was a four month old rye whiskey from Brian Nation at the keepers heart stand. Tasted like nothing ive had before, and at only four months old was a superb whiskey!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Justin10

That's interesting, hadn't heard anything about keeper's heart liquid at the event. Interestingly stuff.

A new Old comber should be available in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I think you just have to ignore any marketing blurb, and just go to try lots of great whiskeys.

• Advertisement

I didn't know there was PX cask strength. I didn't see it on the stand, so bypassed Redbreast, as I'd tried everything else I could see.

I over indulged, but it's hard not to when there's so much on offer. I had a lovely whiskey from Killowen, not bottled yet, as he had just filled the sample the night before from a barrel. Enjoyed trying their Poitins too. Bought a bottle of their whiskey that they had bottled for the event.

Got to try new make distillate Slane and Pearse Lyons that I thought were nice. Some nice stuff from Dunvilles, but was a bit late in the evening to remember it properly. Tried Midleton Very Rare 23, and felt underwhelmed.

Waterford's offerings were nice, and their peated expression is lovely. Not overpowering, so more accessible to people who aren't generally into peated whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gordonl

I had a taste of new make from Crolly distillery, Sliabh Liag and Boann. They were all very good and I can't wait till they start bottling their own spirit. (Sliabh Liag will have a poitin out soon that i will probably pick up)

Fercullen had a 15 YO that will be released soon and is the successor to the discontinued 14 YO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭adaminho

What's the going rate for a Dingle batch one at the moment? A customer found one and is looking for a valuation. There's a few different values online.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll give 'em €100 for it if you don't tell him they've been going for about €600 at auction. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

Is it the single malt or pot still? If it's the single malt is it batch strength?

And does he/she have the box?

Pot still least valuable but could get around €400 in auction.

Single malt as mentioned above, around €550-€600.

Single malt cask strength €800+

Always worth a little bit more with the box.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm after doing a little side-by-side-by-side tasting of their 3 Wheel of the Year releases so far (Dingle).

Google suggests the Bealtaine single pot still is a 3 year old whiskey. It's over 52% abv and aged in Shiraz casks, and it's easily the reddest Irish whiskey I've ever had. The colour is amazing. Tastes great too. I'll have to try a larger measure of it over the weekend.

The Samhain single malt is just fabulous. Lá Le Bríde didn't stand out as much between the other two, but I remember thinking it was awesome when I opened it earlier this year.

Opened a bottle of Mackmyra brukwhisky. About 9 years old, unpeated. Very slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nice design. Reminds me of Stauning in Denmark.

I'm in!

Lucky goose! You got the email this afternoon sometime?

Once 5.00 came around I assumed I wasn't one of the lucky ones. No "hard luck" email yet, but imminent I'm sure!

Well done 👍🏻😊

Yeah, it came in at 16.20. I hadn't enough in the account so had to do a quick transfer! They then charged the card at 17.30. I'm glad I didn't miss the original email, or I'd be kicking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flended12

had a couple a glasses of this at weekend. Its so good.

I had a bottle a few years ago, and yes, it was very pleasant.

Bought by US investors, and I gather a huge re-launch taking place with a US focus.

I was told even distilling / sourcing might be moving stateside, ultimately, but I have no specifics on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I picked up a sample mini of the Natterjack a while back in James Fox, there might still be some knocking about in there.

Very nice drop but seemed pricey at near €60 compared to what else you can get at that price.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flended12

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nicks delight

Jameson's 15 year old Pure Pot Still at the moment but also eyeing a Laphroaig 10 year old...its very very smokey, so just a little one later.

I finally gave in and opened my Gold Spot a few minutes ago (after months of wondering if I should sell it).

I'm delighted I kept it. The very first neat sip lingered on my taste buds for ages. Truly gorgeous.

Edit: just had a second small measure with ice and it definitely loses something when it's chilled. I usually prefer my stronger whiskeys on the rocks, but this one is better straight and warm.

Have you tried blue spot?

Last Christmas day, myself and 2 pals treated ourselves to a blue and gold spot. Gold spot wasn't bad at all but each of us preferred the blue.

I had a bottle of the first release. It took me a long time to appreciate it fully because I was still a bit of a n00b when it came to whiskey. Picked up another one recently (might be batch 4?) and I'm looking forward to it.

Might do what ye did and have it next to the Gold (or Red, or both 😎 )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Is there much difference between the batches? I tried Blue Spot a couple of years back, but didn't like it at all. I thought it was very harsh and tasted mainly of alcohol (not in a good way). In general, I'm not a huge fan of CS, but then again I love Black Barrel CS (I got mine from the gift shop in Midleton).

I'm just wondering if I should .give Blue Spot another try.

That's batch 3 that you picked up I imagine, as I don't think batch 4 is out yet. Open to correction on that though.

Edit: if it's a batch 3, it'll actually specify that in the italic writing on the back of the bottle.

I haven't tasted batch 1. But batch 2 & 3 I have, and I couldn't say there was any noticeable difference. That said I didn't taste them side by side.

Abv of batch 2 & 3 are identical.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

• Advertisement

Looks like it was bottled last November. It doesn't mention a batch number, but the abv. is 58.9% if that helps narrow it down.

Advertisement