Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

The whole world is doomed and you've got to prop up a builder's sign. That's planet earth in 2023 ! 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just feel sorry for the lad. 'The President's' propaganda machine has really done a number on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

havent really played since last Wednesday cause I’ve been busy and it’s too nice out.

85hours or more according to the switch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭jj880

Need to get round the Depths more to get my zonai power up. I'd imagine its a snowball effect. The more power cells you get the quicker you can move around the Depths which makes getting power cells easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Honestly I rarely find myself using the power cells or building things. Always an after thought for me. I usually brave the depths on foot and regularly in the dark if I have a glimpse of a bulb to turn on

• Advertisement

Im using 2 fans stuck to a steering stick with a giant bright bloom on it. As you say though the weather is glorious so not getting much play time in at the moment either.

White chu chu jelly. Throw it in water. Instant platform or something else to prop up that builder's sign.

Have all the sky/overworld map opened up now without upgrading hearts much and mostly avoiding combat. Just the wind temple done.

Again, really like how they switched the towers from something awkward to climb or battle to, to fun little puzzles.

For some reason going down a well is very exciting ! The caves and looting in them are a huge plus from BOTW.

Will give it a break now as I've other things to do. But that was a very enjoyable good few hours and appetizer for TOTK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be a fly on the wall of the QA department for that game: do Japanese studios outsource their work abroad I wonder, Nintendo especially? That kind of exacting detail would kinda put Rockstar's horse testicles to shame

It's a combination of many things, some easy to compute and some state of the art in a real time video game. And they put great art, music, dialogue, gameplay, humour on top of all of that.

Nintendo AAA games feel like old skool arcade games, they are so simple, clean and polished from a user point of view. Gameplay, visually and sonically. But they are now rocking an incredible open world physics tech stack on a little old Switch. It's nuts.

Loads of really "simple" stuff ...like collecting wood for someone to repair a bridge, and stumbing across someone who hints that pine cones are dangerous when thrown in a fire. Wood given to builder ... funny rhyme and sound effects with blank screen .. and then lovely picture of complete bridge with sun setting in the background. And me thinking yeah, I need to attach those pine cones to arrows. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That maybe true but you gotta have QA departments for stuff like this so it doesn't go all Skyrim on your áss. QA comes up a lot in video-games discourse these days but often the majority is with American or Western studios. Japanese game development sometimes coming off as a big black box where one can only presume the Salary Man Culture means crunch is, I guess, 10x worse?

Yep, I'd say they worked blood, sweat and tears for that game..but they did get another year to add polish. But that'd be the exception rather than the rule... and for every TOTK there are 10,000 other projects from hell where you end up with "meh".

Even with infinite crunch, I don't know how they did it. Remember a decent part of the engine was done already for BOTW, But how the hell they managed that on WiiU and Switch ...

The director, producer seem to survive it ... It'd would be great to read a full fly on the wall account of the devleopment process for BOTW/TOTK from inception right though to release May 2023.

The more I think about it ... they've been doing this since the early 80s, with some of the same people still involved .. you don't get that kind of continuity in western video game companies ... so I'd imagine they've just got a mindset, process and longevity in game production. that other companies don't have or could never have.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm just making my way from area to area to unveil the full map, but you can't go from A to B without ending up distracted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

A good measure of the quality of game design is how much down time you spend in the world. Time spent not on a quest, but just 'being' in Hyrule.

Wondering what's around a river bend, what's over the crest of that hill, what's on top of that mountain. And the game almost always rewards your curiosity and imagination. It's staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Never died as much in a Zelda game. Only done the Wind Temple so far so think I need more powers/hearts.

Went for full stamina so am getting killed by one smack of a wooden stick at the moment. Depths unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yes, it was only really later in my run Depths became doable. An awful lot of nasty surprises down there, but you’re well rewarded.

Youd wonder how other big releases will go between now and the end of the year. They must be cursing the quality of this game. Im looking forward to the remake of Alone In The Dark in October but nothing else is catching my eye at the moment. I'll be trying to complete as much of Tears Of The Kingdom as I can for the next few months.

Diving full speed all the way from the Sky down to the Depths is oddly satisfying. They just seem to have tweaked everything to make it that bit more enjoyable and less like an chore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I seem to have managed to skip a huge chunk of the story.

Was wandering about, recalled a stone on the ground, and then when I was at the apex figured I could glide into a storm cloud that looked to have an island hidden in it... Found a mask... Ended up on a quest to in the depths to the last few hours as you do and now I've a robot.

Seems like I bypassed

the whole tablet inscriptions, floating ring thing, and found the 5th hidden temple (Spirit) a bit too early.

Currently sloggin it round Hyrule castle getting battered looking for Zelda. Maybe I'll just fly into that cloud. Also doing the Master Kohga stuff too. Those are the most fun for me so far. He has a temper on him 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What are those stone towers in the depths or do I find out in a side mission?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There might be an ability or core mechanic you have that may be useful.

I tried ascend on a few but they bring me to random spots on the surface.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Exploring the eldin region now. Plenty of hidden shrines under the ground in caves.

They really improved the shrine sensor as well with the simple addition of "it's above/below." It was a source of a fair bit of frustration in BotW to have the thing hopping and later finding out you were miles off above/below.

Got one for down below and spent ages looking for a cave or breakable wall/ground with no joy. The problem is the entrance to the cave could be a good bit away.

I've seen things in passing that people have found which sounds like things that would be in my path but I haven't even being told about them in the game yet 95 hours in and have seemingly made it to the endgame.

But I don't want to look it up.

The Master Sword.

Or people completing full armour sets not long after release.

Found a small round flat area on the side of a mountain. Nothing from the shrine sensor.

Looked around until I found someone with a quest. Completed the quest then the shrine appeared.

Have done about 4 or 5 that involve getting the green crystal to the shrine. Have 1 I started but never finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I spent ages on an island coming up with a mad balloon rocket thing to fire the crystal across a huge gap... To discover afterwards there was a switch on the far side you flick to move a bridge into place...

Sometimes it feels like you get penalised for wandering and doing things out of sequence 🤣

I had my world turned upside down last night when I found that if you select a food, then check recipe, you can auto fill the food slots with the other ingredients... I might actually bother with cooking now - I just eat quest rewards and apples until now!

Some of later-game fusions you can make are absurdly overpowered. Put together a reaper that was 3 shotting Talus.

• Advertisement

Best thing I got so far is a power core from a flux construct 3 fused to a long sturdy stick. Powerful and lasted for ages.

Advertisement