Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Hi fellow cyclists,

As I have never used this scheme before I have a couple of questions:

Can I use my own bike to work scheme plus my other halves bike to scheme at the one time to buy 1 bike? She works in a different company to me.

If this doesn't work could I use a fellow colleagues plus my own? If so, how does this work?

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

No from a legal point of view on the two person scheme, but I’ve heard many a bike shop offering to do it for people.

And very reputable ones at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Using the bike to work scheme for the first time, just wondering what accessories I should definitely not go without and what accessories are not worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Obviously helmet, decent lock, and hi-viz (without wishing to start a 10-page argument about it!).

If it's an electric bike, it'll have lights built in (AFAIK, mine certainly does) - if not, good lights.

If the bike has a rear rack, definitely a pannier is the handiest thing ever - much better than a rucksack giving you a sweaty back, and while a basket is handy (I got both with my first CTW bike), the pannier is all I ever use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Thanks for that, it's not an ebike, will probably be looking at a hybrid. I'm covered on the hi- viz ( could probably start selling them at this stage 😂).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

In fact, if you can get two locks on the scheme, I think the advice is to have one main one, and a second one just to make it a bit more awkward for would-be thieves. I only have one humdinger lock for my current bike, but I had a U-lock and a smaller cable one on my other bike, so I could lock frame and both wheels. I keep meaning to get a smaller second one for this bike but haven't got around to it yet.

For the lock, don't cheap out. I've seen expensive bikes locked up with 20 quid locks that would be cut in seconds. Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

re: panniers - Lidl have them in next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Not sure what to make of this...

Buying a road bike on the BTW scheme. Went to local bike shop, happy to give them the business. Found a decent bike which I'll also need to pay a sum of cash to as above the limit. Tested it out, I was happy so agreed to buy. Bike shop guy asked how my company paid, I didn't know so went off and found out and came back. It's done through biketowork.ie, they'll issue a voucher and I'll give that and the cash when I pick up the bike. Guessing it's a middle man set up.

He said that because it's this certain company, biketowork.ie, and done via voucher, there's a surcharge of 90 euro to me as that's what the bike shop get charged by biketowork.ie. If it was just a money transfer from my company, there'd be no surcharge. I thought that charge would be something they agree to when signing up as a "partner bike shop" and it shouldn't be passed on to the customer?

Are they allowed to do this? Or is this normal? Should I shop elsewhere?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Depends on what cycling you'll be doing and where you're putting the bike. If it's not securely locked at work or you're running errands you'll want two good locks (you'll easily spend €100 on them). If you're going to be cycling in all weather, you'll want decent mudguards in the rain, a good set of lights and if you're commuting during Winter a proper waterproof jacket and maybe trousers/shoe covers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

2 decent and different types of lock and decent lights, everything else is at your own descretion.

If you can, ask your company would they consider doing it direct as biketowork.ie are simply middle men and do not actually save the company time or money. As for if it's OK, well, they told you before you went with them so they haven't misled you. Most bike shops have wiggle room or simply include the % in their cost and you can negotiate down if paying cash. Is it worth the hassle to start again and find a bike shop who have probably included the cost elsewhere, well that choice is yours.

I don't understand what bike to work companies do that makes the process easier for the employer, surely that's the type of task you have a HR/payroll department for? That's like outsourcing who pays your salary.

They take 10% according to my local shop, if the bike shop are offering something at literally no margin then I could see where they'd have to charge for the bike to work. You also lose any wiggle room on discounts.

The IBAN is usually on the invoice from the bike shop, literally no reason your employer can't just pay themselves.

Laziness from the employer side, especially if you’ve a fair few employees applying for it, they just redirect you to the 3rd party website and then at the end of the quarter or whatever period they do it, they just get given an invoice to the 3rd party for all the bikes, and the details for salary deductions for the employees. It’s literally just so they don’t have to pay multiple invoices to shops

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jajor95

Hey so I need some advice.

my company states they offer bike to work.

I queried it with our HR team who are located in the U.K. and they told me I couldn’t avail of the benefit due to being on my probation period.

I double checked and from my research a company is not obligated to offer the scheme however if they do they must offer it to ALL employees.

Am I right I’m saying this is discrimination? Does anyone have any ideas on who I can contact or where I can find more legislation to show my HR team.

Also there is no contractually binding agreement that benefits are restricted in my contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Maybe wait until your probation period is up before you start annoying them 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 7,959 ✭✭✭cletus

How long is your probation period

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

My wife (public sector) says they've the same policy where she works.

Yeah we’ve the same thing in our place.

You’re probably better off just waiting the few months until your probation passes, I’m not sure that’s a tree I’d be keen on shaking

• Advertisement

It's not discrimination once everyone has to be finished their probation period. This is quite normal for various schemes eg pension, health insurance etc. It's a pity but it's not discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

All companies I've worked for offer these type of benefits (bike to work, espp, etc. ) to permanent/full-time employees. IMO - for non electric bikes you're better off looking for a second hand bike. The most "savings" you can make is 350 on a 1250 bike 🤷.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,366 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that is if you are on the lower tax rate. if you're on the higher tax rate you save half.

I'd just like to know who thought an extra €250 allowance would cover ebikes.

You can get a decent bike for €1,250, but a decent ebike is well over €2,000.

Yet there's a €600 grant for EV chargers which cost as little as €1,200 and arguably shouldn't have a grant, people buying a €40-60k EV don't need it and their fuel savings cover it. Not forgetting the €5,000 EV grant, solar grants etc.

too much scope for abuse of the scheme that way, possibly? i can guarantee you there are plenty of acoustic bikes being sold above €1,250 which are appearing on the invoice as electric bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Perfectly normal. I'd guess technically you're not an employee as such till you've passed you probationary period and your contract will be based on this being completed successfully. I know our company withhold all benefits till after probationary period with some back dated.

This is very common and I'm told Canyon are now selling cargo bikes also 😉

It's very annoying that they don't just open it up to a tax saving on the full price. The system is already widely abused as it stands why not throw the people some crumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭vintcerf

cheers for the correction, i should do a bit more research before giving uninformed advice 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jajor95

Hi,

Just following up on the comments some people have made. I work in HR and Payroll so I know the legislation of my jurisdiction and today the revenue confirmed my suspicions that one cannot discriminate based on probation.

Just ran it by my Country Head and now I have grounds to demand the bike as the revenue have stated if they were to fail to provide the bike they’d be in violation of the schemes tax code leaving the company liable to fines and litigation.

BTW the reason I fought so hard on this is because I moved and needed a way to get to work

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're on probation and going to make demands? You do know that they don't need a reason to fire you during your probation?

Maybe update your CV before making any demands!

Advertisement