Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

He should really stop focusing on his carrying

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He doesn't have to carry the whole team at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It really isn't. Unfortunately the URC don't keep passing stats but a huge amount of Munster plays run through his passes. Based on the eye test he is the best passer of any Irish back row for me. The URC do keep offload stats and Coombes averages by far the most of any Irish back row with one per game compared to his Ireland rivals; Doris, VDF and Penny 1 every 1.5 games, Conan 1 every 2 games, Deegan, Pendergast and O'Mahony 1 every 4 games and Connors 1 every 10 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Conan has had a resurgence in recent months, but he's no Coombes

You're right. Conan gets picked for the national team.

I'm a fan of Coombes, but to call him the best passer of any Irish backrow is a stretch for me.

I don't know where you got your stats from, but they look off to me.

If you look at the group you mentioned (I excluded Deegan, Prendergast because of their lack of European Cup minutes), then you see Coombes averages 0.8 offloads per game, across the URC and European Cup; which is exactly the same level as Caelan Doris (Doris 0.83 to Coombes 0.81 to be specific).

Every player in the group has very strong tackle stats (all north of 90% success rate), but Coombes is lowest on 90%, with O'Mahony and Penny on 91% - Conan on 94%, Doris on 95%, and then JVDF and Hodnett on 96%.

Coombes carries in big volumes, and has the most metres, but on a metres per game metric he's the leader on 31.4, but only marginally ahead of Jack Conan on 30.7. Next best is Doris on 28.3, followed by Hodnett on 27.8, then Penny on 24.3.

On a metres per carry basis - he is the lowest of the entire group, averaging 2.1m per carry, just behind O'Mahony on 2.3. Best of the group is Doris, at 4.3m per carry, ahead of Hodnett on 4.2, VDF on 3.7, Penny on 3.3 and Conan on 3.1. Those carry stats are URC only as European Cup doesn't provide that stat.

Josh van der Flier is the best passing Irish back row by a distance for me, and in the European Cup he threw by far the highest amount (41, or 6.8 per game). No other player has more than 4.

I don't necessarily think these stats are that instructive, and they don't take into account the quality of opposition faced etc (i.e. the Leinster players in this sample played more European games, Coombes played more URC games, and more games generally), and absolutely think Coombes had an outstanding season, statistically and just generally, but don't try to use skewed numbers to paint an artificial picture either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Surely Munster doing well and Munster players improving and scoring world class tries should be celebrated. Instead there is nit picking. I cannot understand why.

As regards Coombes - we all agree he did not perform V NZA for whatever reason I don’t know (a cold, a bad day at the office who knows). He was left out of the November internationals squad but went back to Munster and had a fantastic season getting better with every game. Surely that should be celebrated.

Conan has also had a great season and had a critical role in the Grand Slam as an impact sub - he was behind Doris who is by a mile our best No.8.

The question I have and surely Leinster supporters should have - did trying to accommodate both Doris and Conan in the starting back row weaken the back row as a unit? Did this impact on the result? That is not saying that Conan did not play well, but more so was Doris optimised as a 6? Would Conan coming on for the last 30 mins have led to a more favourable outcome.

Based on those stats, Hodnett is desperately unlucky to be left out of the squad.

The URC website. I find the websites that compile data to be a lot less reliable. Fair enough its tough to compare him with Doris and VDF based on this since they plays so few URC games comparatively. Even still using the compiled data it seems Coombes still offloads at worst as often as Doris and (I'm assuming since you didn't mention) more than any other Irish back row option. On all the other stats I'm not really making a case that he's an overall better player than any of the other Irish options, I'm just pointing out the narrative that he is just (or primarily) a good carrier in the tight is complete nonsense, made by people who either don't watch Munster or don't pay attention. Its interesting that Hodnett often suffers the same analysis as a limited crash ball merchant but as your stats (and actually watching him play) show he is an extremely explosive ball carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

That's a great shout on VDF. He has been central to Leinster's excellent strike plays from set piece attacks. I've seen him throw perfect 20 metre passes off either hand from the base of the lineout to an oncoming receiver.

I've so rarely seen a good player improve so many facets of his game to an elite level, later in their career. He's the most rounded backrow in Europe imo. Although I do think Doris has greater capacity at certain aspects of the game.

• Advertisement

Yeah, VDF's passing is just excellent. A lot of Leinster's (and Ireland's) creativity from lineout drives comes from the skillset VDF brings. When he's on the ball at the back of a maul, he's capable of a 20m pass to the 10, a variety of shorter options, or is a really effective carrier in his own right. I don't think there is another back row in Ireland with that in the locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

At whose expense? Coombes? Prendergast? Baird?

I would say Prendergast. Hodnett is as close to a like for like replacement for VDF as we have. In my opinion Hodnett is a smarter player with a higher ceiling. I don’t think Prendergast did well on tour last summer - looked a little out of his depth tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

VDF played 9 for a lot of junior rugby

When VDF came onto the scene I thought he was a special player yet I was surprised that he was being talked down in some Leinster circles who were of the view that certain players from certain schools were far better. Interesting how things worked out.

Or just bring 43, the squad was originally meant to be 45 right?

Yeah, that's what I'd have done - brought Hodnett, another THP (Salanoa I guess), and another 10 (Harry Byrne I suppose).

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

What I love about VDF is how he has evolved season-to-season.

He was the best player in the world last year, mainly due to his explosive carrying. Getting POTY will put a massive crosshairs on you when defenders are lining up to smash you. He must have decided (and coaches probably) to alter his game to become more of a link player/passer. The amount of Ireland/Leinster tries this season that he was involved in is crazy, mostly linking up with backs in the wide channels.

He won't get as many plaudits this season but he's been just as effective imo.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

So you’re getting rid of the only other out and out 6 in the squad behind POM ? If you’re kicking prendergast out of the squad based on what happened last summer Coombes would be in exile. Coombes has actually been dropped from the squad in the last year, where as prendergast had been the 24th man in the 6 nations, so arguably the next man in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was Prendergast not playing 8 recently?

He has started the last few games there recently yeah, but it’d be a similar situation of moving Doris to 6 to accommodate Conan. SHL was in great form so Prendergast got moved to 8 to accommodate this.

Prendergast has also slotted in at lock for Connacht and against Fiji. So has a bit of versatility to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I’d be more inclined to bring Milne than Harry Byrne. Having 4 props on each side would make more sense.

Beirne is a world class 6, Baird is more than capable of playing there at the top level. We are far more exposed at 7.

Yeah, I get that, and arguably Frawley is the 4th 10 in there anyway.

Loughman would be ahead of Milne, but Loughman should be there instead of Kilcoyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Penny, Connors, Hodnett and Timoney lost out to POM's ability to play 7.

Farrell didn't pick a squad to cover all injury eventualities, he picked the best players to populate a 33-man squad for the RWC.

Doris, POM and even Beirne are more than capable at playing at 7. And probably to a better level at the World Cup than Hodnett who’s never been in camp before.

Personally I’d have had Hodnett in the squad as a 43rd man, but not at the expense of any of the other back rows included, apart from maybe Coombes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

He was Leinster's best player after Ryan went off. If was ultimately a losing effort, but he was exceptional in the Champions Cup final.

The fact so many fans from other countries are complaining about his 'illegal' ruck work shows how good he is. Straight out of the McCaw begrudgery playbook. Same with Ryan actually.

Baird is a far better 6 than Prendergast will ever be. Prendergast looked out of his depth at the level below International while Baird has shown that he is comfortable at that level and will get better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Prendergast looked out of his depth at the level below International 

You might think this but Andy Farrell very clearly does not.

Advertisement