Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion - It's back on the Irish political agenda

Options
  • 01-06-2023 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Abortion has come back with a bang onto the Irish political agenda this week with the author of the independent report into abortion services appearing before the health committee this week. Following on from this PbP tabled a bill to make the following changes to the existing legislation:

Decriminalise offences under the act

Abolishe the 3 day wait period

Extend the deadline from 12 weeks for non-ffa terminations.

The government lost a vote to put a hold on the passage of the bill for a year.

I suppose if people thought that this was a settled question after the referendum have been shown to be wrong. It will be interesting to see how this plays out, particularly the proposal to allow non-ffa termination at a later than 12 weeks.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The delusion that people think this isn’t a settled question.

We knew during the referendum that the Oireachtas would be allowed to legislate.

We knew during the referendum that there would be a review.

None of this is new. The three day waiting period is the most pointless guideline I’ve ever come across in Irish legislation.

Watch now the hysterical fanatics claim that it will be abortions for all up to the point of labour because they get a kick out of scaring people.

The Bill, in the name of TD Bríd Smith, will likely fall at a later stage, but surmounted its second stage to move on.

I wouldn't be getting too worried about any changes, just yet.

I’d be curious if anything has the 3 day waiting period really affected anyone deciding to have an abortion?

outside of cases where said waiting period would push someone past the timeframe allowed.

It seems rather pointless but it would be interesting to know if it has made a difference at all even if unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The 3 day wait and other things are just a sop thrown to the old catholic biddies and holy Joe's. They knew bringing them in they'd go eventually. They only serve as a sacrificial shield to stave off a tiny bit of hatred from the anti abortion crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

So if the 12 week cut off is in the process of being removed is the new proposal to perform abortions up to the date of birth or what's the new proposal ?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Thanks, had a quick read, seems to be that it does indeed propose abortions up to date of birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There will be changes - I'd bet my life the three-day wait is toast - but instigated by the government itself and will be unlikely to go as far as Brid Smith's bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nah

Leo Varadkar, Michael Martin and Stephen Donnelly will stall any changes and it won't go anywhere

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Election looming so they’ll avoid this hot potato if they can.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well the proposal is for up to the date of viability which I suppose is technically the day before a birth could succeed. It's not stated but widely understood that it's 24 weeks.

Extending the deadline though would be a significant departure from the current as there would be time for the in utero tests that are done for non fatal disability to inform the mother on whether or not to continue. Over time that could actually have quite a profound change on society, though it is probably happening already.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone who thought the issue was "done" is clearly misguided on what we voted for by 2:1. The referendum was to allow the government legislate on an ongoing basis as it sees fit

There is no way this Bill will pass, that has already been more or less said.

It would have to pass through all 5 stages in the Dáil and all 5 stages in the Seanad, and then all proposed amendments have to go through the same stages, so no need for hysteria just yet.

Exactly. The likes of Brid and any other mouthpiece like her are not there to get bills passed, they are there as populists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

It was but was widely misrepresented by Harris et al as approval of abortion. It was not. I voted to repeal as I felt the 8th amendment had no place in the constitution but I also do not want to see abortion on demand as in the UK. In fact, I am horrified by the annual figures since repeal. And no, I do not want to export our problem to the UK. I want pregnant women to be treated sympathetically and encouraged, where possible, to have their babies. We have many childless couples anxious to adopt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

While of course the vote was on the actual amendment, the debate was completely framed around the government's then white paper - the proposed legislation. Given that the white paper was so thoroughly endorsed it is a bit surprising that it's not being left alone for like 10 years. It seems to me that the government wants to pick up this hot potato, from which no political good can come from. It's not as if they need another issue to deal with.

Were you aware of this when voting yes? Do you understand what it means?

If Ireland votes in favour of repeal, the government has said it will introduce legislation permitting unrestricted abortion during the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.

It might not be what you wanted but the government made quite clear it was what we were going to get if the country voted yes to repeal

Your post is an anti choice in denial 101.

The vote was clear, the issue was clear, if you repeal the 8th and add this amendment, it puts it in the government of the day's hands. Frankly it's none of your business what a woman does with her body, that's between her and her GP. There is no misrepresentation when the actual bill head was public.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s absolutely none of your business on what a woman decides to do with their own body.

Also, Irish women were having terminations for years, so the false sadness for couples trying to adopt doesn’t wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Wezz

As someone who works in the social work sector this idea that a ban on abortion will help childless couples have a family is all bs. There are not enough people willing to adopt. So what do we do with all the children born who have no families to take them Crossman? Will we put them in homes or sell them to rich Americans, haven't you tried that as a country before? Did it work?

A few of the clients I have worked with have availed of abortions and I can see a positive benefit to them. For some, having a pregnancy would have been a disaster for all concerned so I am glad they have the option now to make a choice about what to do. These women don't have the choice to go to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah it might still be aborted by the sound of it, might take longer than 12 weeks for them to make that determination for their fam- I mean the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It'll be worse for them if they do. A lot of people are angry with the waffle and BS Varadkar and Donnelly are coming out with.

When asked why he had abstained from the vote, Mr Donnelly told Newstalk Breakfast on Friday that the Bill did not respect the vote of the people in the referendum on removing the Eighth Amendment in May 2018.

“I actually looked at the Bill in great detail. The Bill goes miles beyond what people voted for in repealing the Eighth. I made this point to Deputy Smith and to others who were supporting the Bill during the second stage debate.

“I campaigned very hard for Repeal, but the Bill does not respect that vote at all because it goes way beyond that vote.”

Total BS. We were not voting on a particular piece of legislation. We voted for Repeal for the precise reason to allow the Oireachtas to legislate in future as it sees fit. So bloody well get on with it Stephen.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Not allowing abortion on demand IS exporting the problem to the UK.

Just as our flawed legislation is exporting many fatal foetal anomaly cases to the UK.

Just as anyone who discovers their pregancy late / can't access a GP in time / local maternity unit refuses to carry out abortions, is exported to the UK

What on earth makes you think you are in a better position than the woman herself to make a decision to continue a pregnancy, which will inevitably profoundly affect her life and health, possibly permanently? Women are adults. "Encouraged"? That is arrogance beyond belief.

There's nothing "sympathetic" about taking away reproductive choice.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

A review after three years was part of the legislation. The review only just got started within the three year period. How is sticking with flawed legislation for 10 years better than sticking with it for 5 years as we have done? I don't understand this mindset at all. It's as if people regard abortion as so shameful we better not talk about it unless we really really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The anti-choice brigade are the loudest online and have plenty of prominent journalists and broadcasters too as well as a captive audience every weekend at mass to get their message out. That’s what the politicians fear. And the people who listen to anti-choice get out to vote.

I hope they update the law to be more realistic but will changing it convert into votes for them or for Aontu etc? It’s hard to say but they (govt) are being very risk averse right now.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

I profoundly disagree. The anti-choicers were shown up in 2018, for all their bluff and bluster and expensive PR and billboards and zillions of posters, to be a completely busted flush.

The odd independent (which is what Toibin is, really) might get a bit of mileage out of it but as far as proper parties go, not even FF is going to be able to make political gain out of being anti-choice.

The ex-FG anti-choicers (Renua) got their asses handed to them and left politics. The anti-choice FFers mostly either changed their tune or got kicked out too (like my local FF ex-TD, once a poll topper, voted against allowing a repeal vote, gone and not coming back).

Priests can preach to the converted at mass all they like, it won't change a single vote.

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

That's not a realistic fear any more; the anti-choice independents are just going through the motions. Everyone knows any liberalisation of abortion law that comes out of the current process is a permanent fixture. Do you think if say the three-day waiting period is abolished, the likes of Mattie McGrath and Healy Rea will be making a big issue of it in their election campaigns, and making the reinstatement of it a priority if they are negotiating the formation of a government? Of course not...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I am not convinced they should be encouraged. Child birth is painful, traumatic, permanently mutilates the body and risks death of the mother even today with all the modern hospital tech. Society just glosses over this because everyone is like "yay, omg! a baby! so amazing" but the reality is far more gruesome and it's all tidily brushed under the carpet and people don't like to talk about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ehh, at the risk of stating the obvious, it’s for those same reasons nobody talks about the realities of abortion either! There are many more reasons why people don’t like to talk about abortion, but none of that is relevant in the context of the review of existing Irish legislation in relation to the issue, nor the fact that one of the most important issues is the fact that the legislation was introduced without the resources to support it. It’s been a disaster in its implementation which is why women still prefer to go abroad rather than deal with the Irish system. It’s not that they now have a choice, it’s still pretty much Hobsons choice they have to deal with when they find themselves in those circumstances.

Advertisement