Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

everybody might of been of legal age therefore nothing illegal.

however PS knew this person when they were a child, maybe mentored them, got them a job on his show. The youngster might have been in awe of PS, start struck, what child wouldn’t? Probably felt lucky.

Then who do we think instigated the first move? Who initiated the relationship? Doubt it was the kid, more likely PS.

100% PS abused his position, power and the hold he had over this kid. It’s f*cking s*ck.

100% would be a different scenario if they met for the first time when the fella was 18 and they just met, but to know them from a younger age is the problem here ; so being of legal age has no merit as it isn’t really the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s actually the best approach. I don’t know what she knew or didn’t know but she’s in the game of entertainment which is a ruthless business and as far as we know, whatever she “knew” was based on gossip and was known to everyone who cares to Google Philips name for the last 3 years. I think she’s getting beat up simply because of her past close association with Philip, nothing more, which is unfair in my view.

Also, considering one could have found an awful lot of the information that’s come out now for the last 3 years on the internet, I do wonder what exactly his wife and daughters had heard - Shirley this affair wasn’t a surprise to them or did he deny it even to them 3 years ago? Bad move if he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yes I am of same mindset.

No complaint has been made or no concrete evidence has been provided that what Philip says is untrue so I'll reserve my judgement until I know more facts.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

they certainly won't be personal friends either so the fallout has consequences for both of them ...she may or may not continue as successful.

OMG- Allison Hammond quoting the bible now on This Morning- time to move away from this story for a while 😀

She said she did not know what to say today, but quoted her late mother Maria, who died in 2020 and used to tell her: 'Use your Bible as a sat nav in life, Al.' Hammond then quoted a Bible passage about a woman caught in adultery. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

so being of legal age has no merit as it isn’t really the issue.

Of course it is.

He was 20/21. It was a consensual affair.

The only substantive issue at play is peoples outrage morality barometer. Throw in the homosexual angle and it gets the pearls squeezed that bit more.

I have no idea how you can say that for certain.

Again fine margins, nearly kill a young family píssed out of your head - new contract.

Happen to be unlucky enough to be a female who did absolutely nothing wrong - career in the balance.

Considering what little facts and versions of this story we have right now, it’s not really helping this discussion to throw in 1/2 a ton of bullsh1t speculation.

Let's say...Ant says his leaving showbiz for good as a result of the car accident..in reality can Dec survive in showbiz then...I'm talking about the brand here only...ant and Dec....Phil and Holly.....they both compliment each other which is their key to success...as I said earlier the toxic Schofield/Holly element is no more following Schofield BBC interview this morning....why should we take Holly's word only that she may or may not have known.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

+1. Agree, its creepy and most people think its sick but theres lots who dont have any problem with huge age gaps for consenting adults, eg Al Pacino 83, pregnant girlfriend 28/9, same with DeNiro and i'm sure theres many more celebs who fit the bill.

However, if the younger guy was groomed from age 11/12, then PS deserves all the bad karma coming his way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Where can you watch the interview?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

The only person saying this was consensual is Schofield himself who has also said he has lied repeatedly and consistently so take that for what you will. Unless we hear from the other party involved then it is a case of "he said" as of now. With an admission of lies then side eye is the default position.

With all and sundry involved making statements except the lad in question then he might not be commenting because he might be under an NDA as part of a pay off from ITV. Who knows really.

“I have lost everything.” He still has his two daughters and millions in the bank. His reputation is destroyed, his career ruined. That is what he has lost because now the money in TV won’t back anything if he is involved with it. Try attracting advertising sandwiched between a show hosted/presented by him. That is what is lost here. As such, his primary grievance actually appears to be that he won’t be on the telly anymore and this is just the awful consequence of this. Such narcissism. The absolute arrogance to also say this was how Caroline Flack felt. How the hell does he know what she felt? With that in mind then it is, to my mind, an obvious pitch for sympathy and to invoke the memory of what happened to Flack to elicit that is quite telling for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Spot on.....

FFS, people. He's not jack the fooking ripper.

People falling over themselves to feign outrage and disappointment and disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think its different when someone is just around the legal age of consent though.

Now I know PS states the boy was 20 which isnt as bad as say 17/18.

I mean an older age man could get into a relationship with a just turned 17 year old and it would be perfectly legal in the eyes of the law. Yet if it had been a few months before, then all of a sudden he is a pedophile, and he will be rightly punished for it.

What has changed in them few months? Probably not much, you may have a very mature 16 year old who is not easily manipulated where as maybe some 17 or 18 year olds may be late maturing and could be easily manipulated by an older person and then potentially groomed.

I believe IMO that any large age gap to such a young age is disgusting, and it should not just be pawned off as ok, just because it is technically legal.

I wouldn’t be overly happy, no. But I wouldn’t be calling it sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭suvigirl

What Caroline Flack did was a lot worse, imo. Domestic violence is way worse then having an affair. But tbf I think the public piling on is very similar.

His career is over and who knows what his life will be like from now on. It's time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TinaTiernan

It is sick. As a grown man 30 years younger than Philip, women aged 18, even up to ages of 21/22 are like children compared to me.

I don’t disagree. And I do believe it’s inappropriate. I’m just not as anti it as you seem to be

But it’s human nature/desire. Cannot change that.

Men will be men. Women will be women. Adults will be adults.

btw, would you be all irritated and annoyed if a 29/30 year old male was with a 20 year old female?

• Playing the mental health card when called out. Piss off sociopath.

Anytime someone does this it undermines people with real mental health issues.

• Advertisement

Please, read up on what paedophilia is..it is a person’s sexual attraction towards “prepubescent” children. Key word is prepubescent.

your basing it on age alone here is wrong.

you’re saying a person aged 16 years and 364 days compared to a person a single day older (17) is what then determines if someone is or is not a paedophile is beyond ludicrous.

• It's different he first met the kid when he was 10. That's the glaringly obvious difference

Come on now: I am one who is never ready to buy this incessant use of the menial health nonsense, but the incessant public coverage and badgering and pressuring of this man would absolutely break anyone I'd imagine.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Maybe I didnt phrase it correctly but you didnt seem to get the point im saying at all, I am saying the opposite.

Ok maybe instead of saying pedophile, I should have said sex offender?

Some people will say that a much older man engaging in an sexual relationship with a turned 17 year old is ok because it is legal. I am saying that it is not that simple, and a much older man engaging sexual relations with such a young person is disgusting because even at age 17 or 18 they still maybe imature or easily manipulated. Even if it is technically legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

PS only came out as gay when there was a risk of being exposed. Only whinging now as got caught lying and manipulating. A professional actor using all his skills in interview to extract sympathy. No Phil, playing the suicide card with your girls for support is despicable. Your wife and mother deserve the support, as do your innocent daughters

So if you meet someone aged 10, but don’t have a sexual relationship with them until they’re aged 20, that’s still pedophilia.

OK, that’s me out for a while - life’s too short to stay arguing with that type of position.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s beautiful to witness the complete hypocrisy of those who consider themselves morally superior here. No empathy for someone who expressed suicidal thoughts because the person has been branded as a morally defective.

You got to love the desperation to condemn this man. “Even it it’s not illegal it was morally wrong” is hilarious.

Schofield infers he is currently suicidal because of the media and online attention this story has brought on him in one of the two interviews he has done in the past 48 hours. Just as the story was settling down and relegated down the headlines he brings it all right back into the top headlines and national attention again. It also isn't done on some fringe channel like GB News. It is done via a big tabloid and the national broadcaster.

In essence, stirring up that which he says has made him suicidal. I think that is what makes me think his suicide ideation is a ploy, a manipulation.

The only person saying this was consensual is Schofield himself who has also said he has lied repeatedly and consistently so take that for what you will.

The only thing you can take from that is your are accusing him of sexual assault.

Good luck with that. 😕

• Advertisement

I don't know if the internet brains trust in conjunction with scum press labelled me a child rapist it may effect my mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Dec presented a series of I'm a celebrity with Holly and it seemed to go down a storm to be fair...so I am sure she will move on, no indication or evidence she did anything wrong.

I have no idea how that is relevant but both have had successful shows away from each other.

Also "car accident" 🙄 Ant wrote off his car píssed out of his head and narrowly avoided hitting a young family.

But Holly is toxic. 👍️

I would never ever contemplate getting into a sexual relationship with someone who was only 20 at my age (mid 40's) never mind 60+

Where is the hypocrisy in that?

I'm not denying they are individually capable of being excellent presenters...just currently their main brand is the household partnerships they currently carry on.

Holly was sitting on the sofa with Phil ...if Dec was a passenger in ants car while driving...I'm sure Dec would be called out for being as IN...TOXIC..ATED him for not stopping him driving as he was p£ss£d as you say.

• Advertisement

PS played to the audience in his coming-out drama on sofa, attention seeking performance. Now doing the same, same act,different sofa.

Falsus in uno falsus in omnibus. Yes, not a court of law but in the court of public opinion saying you're a liar/you've been lying consistently doesn't exactly help foster sympathy.

His last drama had him labelled as being "sooo brave and honest". Think he is hoping for same sympathy. Am angry at him pulling suicide card on his innocent daughters, leaving them feeling responsible for his mental health. If he feels suicidal he knows to receive mental help not sofa drama. Narcissist......is everyone watching. Like a child looking for attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,310 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

That's not illegal.

There are many people (hetro/same sex) who have been in that situation.

You might not agree with it but it is not illegal once both parties are of legal age and both consent.

To thine own self be true

Edit

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

So sitting on a couch with someone is now the same as getting into a car with someone you know is drunk.

Dig up FFS.

I didn't mention a court of law or public opinion.

I highlighted your opinion.

The only person saying this was consensual is Schofield himself who has also said he has lied repeatedly and consistently so take that for what you will.

The only reasonable take from that is that it was non-consensual which is sexual assault. Correct?

Get your facts right before posting your bitterness

The facts are simple despite your absolute nonense.

Neither Dec or Holly did anything wrong so therefore neither are toxic or share any sort of culpability.

No real surprise, the entertainment industry is full of perverts and degenerates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭nachouser

"This mourning" is just sitting there waiting to be grabbed as a book title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dis-mounting, might be an alternative.

• Ah in fairness though if you found out your best mate was secretly riding chung wans behind their wife’s back you’d probably be a bit disgusted with them no?

friend cuts both ways like it’s a bit rich to say holly is this or that because she’s cut Phillip off but we are just to pretend he did not betray his friends trust and lie to her etc? (Assuming that’s the case)

I don’t think it’s strange at all anyway. Phil supposedly lied to his friend and she’s pissed off about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

The only thing I can't get past, is the fact the lad was an adult when this happened. So even when people are talking about how disgusting it is for PS to have a fling with an 18 year old, I can't help but think how disgusting it would be to jump into bed with an old creep like him. And that's exactly what the 18 year old did. I don't know which disgusts me more - The idea of a 60 year old wanting to jump into bed with an energetic 18 year old, or the idea of an 18 year old wanting to jump into bed with a near 60-year-old-creep.

I'm not sure whose mind is more messed up there to be honest.

Do people really believe that Phil's wife was oblivious? Come off it. She knew!!! Knew for years, no doubt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement