Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration to Ireland - policies, challenges, and solutions *Read OP before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

I presume those immigrants you work with are here legally i.e. they applied for work visas outside if from outside the EU.

Not like those chancers from Georgia, Albania, etc. seeking international protection from sweet fa.

Even the Georgian ambassador said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭redunited

This morning I had to laugh at the news headline that Ireland cannot meet its Agreed Environmental Climate Targets.

No doubt our government will tax us even harder because as we all know, taxing someone is the answer.

However, they completely ignore the fact, that if you import the population of 2 small cities every year, you actually increase your carbon footprint and you will never meet your climate targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Census shows a population of 5.1 million. What's it likely to be in 5 or 10 years time ... 6 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭sonar44

Actually the underpinning projections explicitly mention strong population growth but zero recommendations in that direction. Shure, if we just slaughter the national herd and triple the price of heat and diesel, it’ll be grand.

Post edited by sonar44 on

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We need to redefine what an asylum seeker is going forward,the majority coming aren't fleeing wars or persocution ,it seems to me that the majority coming here are economic migrants who know once they set foot on this island they are here forever, we're seeing thousands crossing the English channel and the Mediterranean sea after paying smugglers tens of thousands of Euros for the pleasure,if you can afford to pay a people trafficker ten's of thousands to get to a particular country of your choice so why do they go through the proper channels to come here or elsewhere, rather than arriving with zero paper work and refusing to tell anyone where your from so you can't be returned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 batyushki

I'm an immigrant from the US. I have lived in some pretty diverse places in America, and loved them. I agree with not knowingly letting criminals or welfare leeches into the country, but in my experience people who move country are largely the ones with initiative and energy, while the "locals" tend to be the ones who don't want to work as hard and don't contribute as much to the economy and community. This is a stereotype but I've seen it in several different communities in the US and in Ireland.

The idea that restricting immigration will lead to better social cohesion is ignoring the existing reality in modern Ireland. In my small town, 90% of the people are not from the town - they are economic migrants from all over Ireland (and some from abroad) who moved to get a job closer to Dublin. Whether a person comes from Clare or Ukraine, they are both newcomers and have to establish themselves in the new community. I often hear complaints from people who were born in this town about newcomers taking houses, etc, but it's those same locals who don't seem to have initiative to get a proper job and get themselves out of poverty, instead of waiting for the government to help them. Migrants by definition moved for better opportunity and are willing to make changes in their location and life to get ahead.

Businesses can't hire enough people where I live, immigrants are very welcome as those that come with poor English skills are filling many jobs that were otherwise not being filled.

Culturally, what can I say... I love traditional Irish culture, and we should work hard to preserve it. There are parts of it though that I would be happy to see gone... the drinking, the lazy parenting approach of letting their children trash the town without supervision. These are problems with immigrants too, but to say that the Irish culture is superior is a bit rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ah I pointed out benefits as I see them 😁

Thought that was what you asked for?

Now I see not, but looking for negatives only, and about asylum seekers who are all apparently, deemed to be economic migrants.

Is this thread not about Immigration? That would include everybody here from other countries, EU, on visas or not.

Think the premise of the thread needs to be changed to say Asylum Seekers?

Its causing confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭highpressisbest

Several fairly new immigrant groups to Ireland, for example, African and Roma, have unemployment rates well above those of the "native" Irish. Of course both these groups face real challenges in Ireland but so do many of the locals who you are so quick to decry for "waiting for the government to help them". It's not as simple as lazy Irish versus hard-working immigrants or the other way around for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭iniscealtra

I would get rid of the grandfather clause for emigrants and change it to being entitled to a passport if you have Irish parents. I would also end the deal with the uk regarding right of residence and leave it open to people from NI to live here if they choose to get an Irish passport only. Limit numbers coming from the Ukraine - current policy is nuts and be tougher on illegal immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I think your stance on people from northern Ireland would cause massive issues, it took years to get where we are now. Years of negotiation and referenda and changing our constitution.

With regards illegal immigration, how would you change the current policy?

I agree with the grandfather clause thing, Irish parents=Irish child, grandparents is too far back

Because he didn't say local Irish.

He said locals, with regard to the different places he has lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭iniscealtra

@suvigirl It would be difficult but open to people from the North. We have a lot of immigration from the UK but instead of being open to all it would be open to those with Irish parents only.

I don’t know how to do that other than policing. It’s difficult and banning or deporting people who over stay on their visa’s.

I don't know the common travel area is around as long as the State, I think. It's been mutually beneficial for both Irish and British people, I would say a lot more Irish people have gone to live and work in the UK then the other way around.

I think if we are trying to limit immigration, that the last place to try it is between Ireland & the UK.

There are things we can do currently, any EU citizens on social welfare needs to go home, unless they are just claiming back credits they have worked, once that is finished they should go home.

I believe anyone not an irish citizen and convicted of a serious offences should be deported after their sentence.

Anyone abusing the visa system needs to go.

I think you're right about passports, they should only be given to Irish citizens, children born to Irish citizens, no grandparents.

The asylum seeker system needs to be sped up, currently it can take years, this is not sustainable. It's not good for anyone and it's not fair to the asylum seekers themselves. Perhaps a court set aside for full time review of appeals, where they can be dealt with quickly.

Saying all that, we are a rich country and our current government seem to be mismanaging the whole place. Maybe too many parties in government will do that, too many compromises. I don't know but they are terrible at providing the services in this country that should be excellent given how much money we have. And that's not the fault of any immigrants, no matter what their status. Blame lies squarely on the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

you present markedly contrasting views between the native Irish and immigrants, indeed you havent even concealed your bias. Were you to reverse it and label the migrants as lazy parents, workshy, stuck in poverty with unruly kids no doubt accusations of bigotry racism etc would be levelled at you but here, it rolls out of you with ease and impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

The idea that restricting immigration will lead to better social cohesion is ignoring the existing reality in modern Ireland. In my small town, 90% of the people are not from the town - they are economic migrants from all over Ireland (and some from abroad) who moved to get a job closer to Dublin

What hogwash. Irish people living in Ireland are not a migrants in a political or legal sense. Outside of maybe Dublin and the North, most Irish people share very similar values for the most part, so there's no issue with social cohesion when a Mayo man moves to Sligo, or a Meath man moves to Louth.

Locals bad, immigrants good is how you started this post too, yet you moved to this nation a nation whose culture was made by and retained by said locals. It's the hight of ingratitude to try and frame the Irish in such a manner, when you're a guest in our nation.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

I'm sorry but I have to nail this lie peddled by immigration NGOs and whatever useful idiots they get to parrot this to the general public.

"I don't know what the solution is as we have obligations under international treaty's"

Not according to the European Commission which stated:

"In fact, Ireland has no obligation to take in refugees as, along with Denmark, it has an opt-in or opt-out clause on justice and immigration measures under the Lisbon Treaty."

This isn't aimed at you riclad, just a reminder that these immigration NGOs use this Goebbels tactic of continually repeating a lie in the hope that it gets accepted as a truth.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

It's funny, Irish people complain about foreigners not integrating, but when any non Irish have an opinion on anything about the country they live in, they're not entitled to say it!

It's in this thread and the other thread where a poster basically said an Irish man, who was born in England and lived most of his life here should not have any rights or opinions about life here.

We either want people to integrate and treat this country as their own, or we don't want any outsiders here at all............

nope he was very clear when referring to Irish culture and newcomers, it was native Irish he was referencing

So we ignore disparaging bigoted comments towards a whole group of people in order to facilitate integration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Ahwell

You're being very selective here, that's only regarding the EU relocation and resettlement schemes. Ireland is, however, a signatory to the UN Refugee Convention.

No, we allow people that live in this country to have an opinion on the country. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

You cant shut people down because they weren't born and bred here and have a family tree going back hundreds of years

who suggested shutting someone down because they weren't "born and bred" here? I'm calling out bigotry when I see it regardless of who said it. The content is the issue not the nationality of the writer but you know this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

Serious question. What will the UN do ? Can we lay it out in simple terms what action would be taken Against Ireland not conforming to the letter of International law. Also lay out said actions they have taken in Regards to other Countries not following the letter of said international law.

Agree with everything you said except the EU citizens and benefits. Irish citizens abroad benefit from this also. It doesn't matter where in the EU you have paid your stamps.

Obviously abuses should be dealt with in every country which they are. There are sovial wrlfare review officers everywhere. 👀

I think social welfare to non EU needs to be looked at with only using up of stamps allowed. Paid here or in another EU country of course .

How many of us could not even get illness benefit at work until wr had been paying stamps for a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It go,s both ways alot of Irish people live in the UK other EU country's America .I'm not an expert on this , I hear people come here after 6 months they can work unless they are deported for being an illegal immigrant.gen z probably does not know this upto the Celtic tiger years many young Irish people had to go to the UK or America to get a job and get work experience

Now we have a surplus of jobs. The Celtic tiger was when the Irish economy took off and big tech company's started to come here and we had a building boom

I don't agree with bigotry and racism and think you are right it should be called out whenever it is seen .

Posters will say its not bias, its truth.

Makes no difference if it generalises, stereotypes and denigrates one group of people. It is bigotry and racism.

Now will you call out the posts on the other side of argument just as loudly?

Everyone who lives here is entitled to an opinion on the country.

That's integration

was never disputed - as i stated it is the content not the origins of the poster that is the issue

• Advertisement

Well, I'm not the original poster so this is the last I'll post on it, I'm sure the poster can stand up for themselves, but

The poster didn't generalise about Irish people. He only stated what I see many people in the country complaining about certain sections of society. He didn't tar all Irish people with the same brush.

And he is living here, so he is entitled to his opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement