Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

People love a good whinge. If you take a step back it’s not hard to recognise that cases like these being taken can actually be good in the long run. They can help fine tune the State’s understanding of how best to handle refugees and asylum seekers in a way that minimises the risk of legal challenge. We can’t change the fact that refugees and asylum seekers have, at the very least, rights under international law that entitle them to be treated fairly with fair procedures — so if this particular woman’s rights were violated, then the Court will find accordingly and the State will have to learn from it. The trick is to use these disputes and what we have learned from this crisis to build a more robust framework.

A war broke out in Europe. It has caused a spike of refugees that has put a strain on our system, and systems elsewhere in Europe. Ireland has traditionally looked on at wars on the European continent as a relatively poor country. We are now a relatively wealthy country so it is new ground for our State to be in a contributory position as a host country for refugees following the outbreak of such a major European conflict. Anyone who thinks that something like this can be handled in a way that ensures absolutely fair and equitable outcomes for Ireland is deluding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭bloopy

It'll certainly help to get out of a sticky situation.

Point the finger and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,555 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

No fear the D4 lib media would ask him that question, you could see he just didn't want to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,714 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The problem, the reason we have to take people in in such numbers, is our birth rate. We simply aren't having enough children. We've fallen well below replacement.

Either serious social reform occurs to encourage Irish women to have more children or we have no choice other than lax immigration policies.

The calculation is we'll get trouble from some newcomers but most will be able to contribute to society.

I'm surprised how hundreds of pages go by without anyone mentioning the core problem which is our demographics. The government's well aware of this which is why they act as they do.

They don't want to tell women you can't have that career or ban abortions or do anything to get the birth rate up.

Soon there will literally not be enough people of working age.

These things will have to change within a generation. No amount of immigrants is going to fix our population crisis. It's sticking plaster.

• Advertisement

Well educated people who are needed to fill vacancies in the health service and other areas are welcome here, these people also come here through the visa system if they are outside the EU.

What you're not saying in your post is poorly educated young men with little or no English are no benefit to Ireland at all and only end up costing us money.

Most of them are economic migrants just chancing their arm .

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I suspect for a lot of people, if they can't afford a house, they won't have kids. I see, life passes some people by. In the past people could buy a home on a single salary. Bringing in people provides temporary respite but also continues the problem as housing remains scarce and expensive.

The health service seems acutely aware of demographics.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

This is a huge western issue. I feel women would have more children if time off and alike were rewarded rather than punished. You either look after society or just go for the bottom line. China tried this it did not work they have a lack of women now. You either run a society or run a business. We seem to be running a business atm. I have 2 kids only able to support them Partner would like more. We just cant afford it. That's even if you ignore the fact that they cannot buy a house. We need a total society shift in the west we cannot take in un educated masses that could fill some shop role. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but that is the reality. More low skills = less houses for everyone else and services. You never hear of anyone moving to some random part of Africa with a huge birth rate as it's just not sustainable either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

The Irish Independent had a front page story yesterday that the government is going to lift the ban on nursing homes converting to asylum accommodation. This ban was originally introduced because the government was concerned at the numbers that were applying to make this switch. However they will have to watch two years before changing to asylum/refugee accommodation. I'm watching this closely as someone with a parent in private nursing home care.

As for why so many nursing homes have been looking at becoming asylum/refugee accommodation instead, it is reported by the newspaper that the latter was believed to be more lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭creeper1

Private businesses are exactly that and will and should move to where the most money is being made. However why is it more lucrative to put up IPAs than old people?

I remember a certain ban on eviction expiring not long ago and some of the most passionate speeches coming out of Pearce Doherty on how this ban should be extended.

Will we see any calls to extend this ban on nursing homes being turned over to IPAs?

Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and the expiration of the two bans are not comparable?

Post edited by creeper1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

The question is where do the old people go if no nursing homes are available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

AI fixes this, automation fixes this, longer working lives fixes this

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Burty330

This is true. Lack of housing , affordable housing , huge rents etc - results in lower birth rate. If the Gov want higher birth rates they would build more homes , but they are not doing that. They are doing the opposite. Importing mass migrants drives up rent prices and puts fewer homes on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

the only thing the elderly in Ireland are vulnerable to is death, they are the most prioritised politically and the least likely to suffer poverty of any demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I'm struggling to understand what he "admitted to" there. He said that some applicants are able to stay on humanitarian grounds even if their applications are rejected and gave the example of countries who don't let their citizens leave and / or won't accept them back. Now, granted that I personally don't blame any person for trying to escape a system like that, I can imagine it's difficult to address a situation like that wholly satisfactorily. It didn't exactly sound like Varadkar was parading it as a good thing, more so just difficulty with some cases.

I mean, what would you have us do with these types of applicants as an alternative? We obviously aren't going to just shoot them so what, imprison them indefinitely or simply incur huge costs by constantly attempting to somehow force another country to take them?

But of course, that Gript dude just wanted the one-liner and the headline . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

I suspect these unelected NGOs and the media are in for a shock over the next few years - I notice the AfD are now at 18% in Germany, mainly on the back of their opposition immigration while we are also likely to have a less left govt in Spain after summer, which obviously follows Italy change earlier this year - now, listening to RTE ahead of election one would think Italy would have fallen apart with unrest at this stage but that seems to be limited to France

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I mentioned here recently that Australia is struggling with the exact same problem. Deportation is a very complex, messy and expensive procedure and it may actually be less hassle and costly for the country not to deport some failed asylum seekers. It doesn't just involve putting someone in the back of a squad car and driving them to the airport.

There are apparently tens of thousands of failed asylum seekers in Australia who have not been deported, around 70,000 in total, and that is a country with a very strict immigration system (much admired and lauded by the anti-immigration crowd in fact).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, until they get to the stage where they can no longer live independently. Then they are a burden the state does not want. It’s going to get very grim in the coming decades and will impact most posting here.

Why wouldn't a country accept back one of their citizens? Wouldn't there be consequences for doing that? For example if India doesn't take back someone (just an example) then visas for Indian citizens could be back or something?

It really is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

All sorts of reasons. If the person tried to claim asylum in another country (a life changing decision), it's clear that they regard their 'own' country as hostile and a place they don't want to be, or simply plain unsafe or dangerous - why would the original country welcome back that failed asylum seeker with open arms, a person that doesn't want to be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Yes why would they accept them back , when you have sucker countries who will have to keep them .

I'd like to hear concrete examples of this.

The famous example is, of course, Shamima Begum who both the United Kingdom and Bangladesh aren't accepting back so Syria is "stuck" with her.

Could it be someone who we know fine well is from a safe country but refuses to give their real name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Because they are from that unless they can prove they are really fleeing for their lives which nearly always falls apart when/if you look into there stories, it's like the people who have applied for asylum here and are granted to stay here, once they have their irish passport off they go back to the country they have fled for a holiday to see family. It's pretty simple for a guy like me who doesn't have a university degree to see the majority arriving here are here for the gravy train.

We're a very generous caring open minded nation, very happy to help people who need genuine asylum, but jaysus what's going on now is an utter p#ss take, unless you have skin in the game Stazdas your head is really stuck in the sand, how can you defend the carry on, every service is bursting at the seems and importing more people that are here to suck of the tit of generous welfare system just seems crazy to me, in a place like mahon( working class area) in cork 700 modular homes are been handed out to ukrainians in the coming weeks/months, while three generations of irish families are living in a house, on a housing list for years. Just madness madness

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

Care to name these places ? I have never heard so much tripe from a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

So, the government in their wisdom are encouraging low earners (typically migrants earn 21% less the indigenous Irish) who will require support in the form of HAP, medical/social welfare etc during their working life to enter the workforce whilst ignoring the emigration of educated, skilled Irish citizens who are typically higher earners and thus larger contributors to the coffers and requiring less government support. Is this the economic model they are pursuing?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Oh Quelle Surprise! So basically the government are enacting what a lot of posters on here have been saying for months...that we need to stop the Fakeugees and Chancers from these 'Safe Countries'.

They are only doing this now as they know that a lot of Irish Citizens are very angry about the flood gates for refugees being swung wide open with no end in sight and no limits in place.

I really hope they will be back dating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Also...you know that you're up **** Creek when the leader of your country says and I quote 'I don't want any person of colour to be held back in this country'. Emmm sorry for being born pasty white! Do I not count too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Why would you want them to change the safe country list?

Do you want those countries to be deemed unsafe?

Its totally ridiculous that a decision is made that a person has no right to be here but they are let stay anyway because their own country won't take them back.

This clown is supposed to be running the country but seems to be just shrugging his shoulders and saying they have no right to be here but its just too hard to do something about it.

• Advertisement

A few concerned locals came out to peacefully protest in Ballybrit yesterday as the buses with the unvetted men arrived.

There were at least 2 busloads of them.

Advertisement