Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Marathon 2023

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikeh22

Looks like its going to be a hot one !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭randombar

What's the story with pack, email re pacers etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Sure does, and not a cloud in the sky either. I think this is the first time I've ever prayed a positive weather forecast is wrong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yes, that’s exactly the route I’m thinking of. Only issue is that the car parks could be fairly full by that time with the 10km on this year too so BlackAsh park and ride might be a safer bet. You can dump your bag into the city hall anyway as you’d be dropped off there.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

I'll try Q-Park first and if it's full then Black Ash. I'll arrive bit earlier just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

That would honestly be a nightmare I wouldn't want to face. That South link road will probably be down to one lane at that stage in the morning and to find parking in the City centre at that hour will I imagine be more difficult this year, I reckon town will be crazy this year considering the 10k starts straight after the marathon. The bulk of runners will be in town by 7.30/8.00. I think you said you coming from Galway?? If I was in your shoes I'd consider using the train from Mallow if your coming down that way. Will take the headache of parking away from you. Extra trains being put on early Sunday. You have a short enough walk to City Hall for baggage. Just so you are aware you need to collect your number on either Fri or Saturday.

You are probably right. I'll aim for Black Ash Ride and Park and get a shuttle bus to City Hall.

Yes, driving from Galway. Should be in Cork Black Ash at 08:30, as per Google maps.

I have someone picking up race pack for me on Friday.

Another option is to leave car at Fermoy and get a lift with person that's picking up the race pack for me. They can park at their work place somewhere in city center.

That would be very handy if you didn’t need your car straight away after. No fun coming in from Fermoy either I’d say though.

They are running half too so they would be going back after race.

Don't know what to do really. Decision, decisions... :-)

Well in that case it would nearly be easier to go in with them when you don’t know the city. I’d do that!

• Advertisement

Has anybody got an elevation map? The one on the official site is showing the total elevation at 139m. I thought it was about double that

That is about right I’d say. My 2018 Garmin Connect says 155m. It’s not a hilly route really. There are a few small hills and drags from mile 17 to 20 Approx but the main issue is where they come on the route.

Nice to hear, thanks. That's pretty flat for a marathon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Something to get you excited for Sunday :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭event

Does anyone know if there is a way for other people to track us? I know it can be done in Dublin but unsure of Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Feeling pretty excited and nervous now. Do any of ye wear baseball caps during the race? I never have done as I find them irritating but thinking about it now looking at the weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Haven't raced before but I'll definitely be wearing a hat. Sweat in the eyes is no fun.

Never realised that wearing headphones is a no-no. I've never trained without them, so not sure how I feel about leaving them at home :(

I never train without earphones assuming I’m on my own but I’d never race with them and never miss them. There will always be people around you and supporters etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Won't have to make a playlist - one less job to do at least!

I good tip I came across recently was to rub vaseline on your eyebrows, it creates a barrier above the eyes causing the sweat to drip down the side of your face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

Collected the pack today. Not much in it. A few sweets and a can of red bull. The t-shirt isn't great either. I still have the one from 2015 which seemed very good quality. This years one feels cheap by comparison. The bag you get at the end of the Cobh 10 is actually better I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,470 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Especially one in Cork! Hard to imagine a flatter route that starts and ends in the city centre.

Best of luck to all taking part today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Ah lads, that was torture. It was roasting. I saw a lot of people in a bad way.

Took this video of the marathon start this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭randombar

jesus that heat was cruel. If it wasn’t for the heat I would definitely have broken all kinds of records 👀

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭weadick

My first marathon. I thought it was horrendous. After the first ten miles I didn't enjoy it at all. The last ten miles was torture to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭JimmyChew

Welcome to Marathon running! you're going to hate it 🤣

Conditions today were fierce though, its rare. Don't throw in the towel just yet. It gets easier and you learned a lot from today no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

I thought it was very warm even doing the 10k, the half and full must have been roasting.

Great buzz around the city before and after and everything seemed really well organised!

Advertisement