Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

It’s totally irrelevant what 2 consenting adults decide to do. The public condemnation is sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Absolutely incorrect. I make the point that we’re hearing one side of a story here and you take that to mean I am accusing him of sexual assault. Schofield has referred to the other party (Matthew McGreevy) to the point that he says he is paying for his legal representation, that they are still mates etc. We’ve heard nothing at all from the man, he hasn’t engaged the likes of the Sun or the BBC or the Daily Mail. Nature abhors a vacuum and so we see the speculation, the online gossip, the outright accusations by all and sundry to fill in the blanks. Until he says it was all consensual then that will continue, it will keep Schofield feeling what Caroline Flack felt. We can’t put that to rest but as it stands, with that void in place, with such suspicious silence in the age of instantaneous communication, then anything is possible up to it not having been consensual. And to re-iterate that is not a direct accusation but no doubt that won’t be acceptable to you. To clarify here, I give Schofield despite being a self-confessed liar the benefit of the doubt as to it all being consensual. If they are still mates, per Schofield, then why can't the mate put in a good word for his mate in that case?

McGreevy might not be able to speak out if he is legally constrained to do so but that is another kettle of fish altogether. If that is the case and he is gagged from talking about a relationship with Schofield then the ridiculousness of this is that you have someone engaged in an adulterous consensual adult relationship with another man, a man who has touted his suicide ideation and whom he could clear of any wrong doing and publicly clear of nefarious gossip and accusations but can't do so because ITV was protecting a member of the team, protecting the brand, protecting the revenue until it all reached breaking point with his brother jailed and Schofield found himself thrown under the bus to protect the brand, the revenue....

In short, it all revolves around money with no heed paid to people who, regardless of their standing in the scheme/hierarchy of things or with 41 years of experience, are disposable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

FFS then delete your post as opposed to leaving the whole thing there and confusing things further and think next time before you post- there’s nothing wrong with what I said so stop jumping on posters for the hell of it just you “think” they got “your” definition of pedophilia wrong- if we’ve heard it once we’ve heard it 1000 times on this thread- it boring now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Have a look at Grindr. Plenty of guys who are 18-20 looking for an older daddy/bear and they've no hassle finding one.

It goes back to Ancient Greece - even a former Irish Presidential candidate got into trouble for referring to it.

Mentor and Telemachus in Homers Odessey springs to mind where Telemachus’ father went off to war and left his son with Mentor to “teach him all you know” -but not sure if that was Pederasty or not but obviously it gives rise to the modern term mentor .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Phil comparing himself to both Caroline Flack and Leo Di Caprio and acknowledging that the photo of him with the young fella as a child look bad, epic fails imho, Holly will have to issue some statement when back Monday as the video photo evidence from NTAs she knew

Everyone knows the poor young fella Matthew so Phil was never protecting him or his family

Sorry now but what “photo evidence”???

Holly pictured with Philip and “young chap” is “evidence” of nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,620 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Wow that is a shít tonne of speculation.

You were very specific in your claim.

The only person saying this was consensual is Schofield himself who has also said he has lied repeatedly and consistently so take that for what you will.

What is the opposite of consensual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭CPTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lol, the Caroline Flack reference, this dude is off the feckin chain.

What part of doing an interview to camera is a terrible idea did Schofield not understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The public also as consenting adults are free to condemn him in the court of public opinion. Schofield created a persona which was part of his professional profile \ success and that persona has been shattered.

Just because something it legal does not make it right.

Whether he did something wrong legally remains to be seen.

Also, it appears he did do something wrong - professionally. He abused his position and the relationship was not appropriate. He was basically the other guy's boss, and played a major role in getting him hired. He did not declare the relationship to his employers. That's not irrelevent to his employers or colleagues.

And the ways things have played out, two careers look like they've been ruined.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

All this right-wrong etc… does he really deserve this incessant badgering?

What incessant badgering? He resigned. Why did he resign?

And yet he comes out doing interview after interview with weasel words ... which means more and more people talking about it.

If he doesn't want to be badgered, exit stage left.

• Advertisement

That’s the second time you’ve said that to me- a Freudian slip if ever I heard one 😂😂😂

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

You should be his PR- a lot of sense on that post

• Advertisement

Kiss kiss 🤪🤪🤪

Oh wait, you ARE of age aren’t you? And we haven’t met before have we? And you don’t attend an acting school do you?

The BBC and the Sun I've heard about... there may be more.

He's giving apologies and on the offensive in the same interviews. Really bad look. He should have just made the initial statement and stopped paying attention to the media etc Leave that to his team.

The public are not ready for what he is saying, it's not good enough to sway people right now in any case.

He works in the media, if he has been paying attention at all, this is now how you act contrite to the British public if you by your own admission you made a 'grave error' and are 'desperately sorry'. Well bloody act like it then. Don the sack cloth and ashes, go on holiday somewhere he can be a face in the crowd. When the dust settles and more information emerges he might be able to re-surface, but only if public opinion thinks he has genuinely taken a hit for what he has done. Right know he is just twisting the knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

Anyone got a link to the sun one?

She knew, the poor young fella was kicked out of the NTAs yet she knew "nothing" believed Phil and shocked he lied to her

Yes why exactly did she think the guy was kicked out of the NTAs and moved off This Morning after being seemingly Schofield's protege.

I am paying for Matthews legal representation, Matthew and I are still good friends.

The takeaway there is that they are in contact. To me fundamental common sense would be that since he is friends with Schofield, still in contact with him considering the legal arrangements that Matthew would go so far as to issue a statement to clear up some of the gossip and rumors out there that, according to his friend, has him suicidal. Drawing a line under it. It is now late in the day and still nothing. So in essence what gives? That there is radio silence then for Schofield to me that's a case of with friends like that who needs enemies.

I think why Ant didn't get as much contempt hatred is he owed up asap to his wrong doing and got help, Schofield has been branded a rude arrogant bully by guests and former colleagues, his coming out on TV on the show in a staged event as we now know, his brother has been sent to prison for sexual acts with young boys recently which Phil knew about, Phil is now playing the mental health depression card which was expected

I don't think he has any agency representation as it is and so a lack of counsel means he can do what he wants of his own volition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

AL Pacino who is 83 is expecting a child with his 29 year old girlfriend, Robert De Niro at 79 had a baby recently with a much younger woman too...I have not heard anything about these relationships, yes Schofield had an affair but so what, that's not exactly news in this day and age, if all he did was an affair with a younger man then the reaction from everyone is ludicrous.

• Advertisement

There seems to be suggestions of a hush money pay off and a non disclosure agreement from ITV with Matthew. That Schofield's big coming out was triggered by Matthew (or someone else in the know) about to sell story to the media.

It’s exaggerated hyped feigned outrage. Nothing more. And all fuelled by people clamoring to see anyone successful have an almighty fall

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

how long can they expect the NDA to last though Stormy Danials had one. I mean there has to be a point where the courts say it's not worth the paper it written on when everything starts to come out in the Media.

The court of public opinion couldn’t be more toxic. Any work related transgressions should be handled by the employer/ employee but but by the baying mob who is salivating at the thought of an unpopular man having lost his job. The teary performances by his former colleagues is just beyond bizarre.

There are some people with a very strange interest in other people’s sex lives here…

Earlier in the thread you were defending the right of those in positions of employment responsibility to offer opportunities with sexual strings attached as part of the deal. It seemed morally and professionally ok thing to do, according to you, a perk of the job.

You have a very strange perspective on the court of public opinion when that is your sense of what is acceptable.

Schofield's conduct has made him toxic. He abused his position, lied to his employers and colleagues. Contributed to a toxic culture at ITV.

How do you expect the employer to handle this out of the public eye when it is such a high profile public figure? One who instead of trying to let the media attention divert elsewhere keeps bringing it onto himself. Chances of dealing with it quietly - zero.

Yes, I find it perfectly acceptable and it does happen. But if the employer thinks that there was a sackable offence (whatever it was in this case) then it’s an affair for them to settle with the employee. I don’t see what’s so difficult to understand about this

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭bewareofthedog

His brother being a sexual predator rightly or wrongly doesn't help his case at all.

I wonder what happened to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Schofield has said on the interview that they became best mates... you'd think Schofield would have established best mates already within that workplace within his own age group as he is there years upon years not needing new mates now... maybe he doesn't have long term men mates..I wonder does he play golf with the lads,head out for drinks with all the lads or was he going home to the wife religiously after work finished

If it was just an affair it be over or little coverage but the lies, cover up, staged coming out, knowing the fella as a child, his brother convicted of sex acts with minors now jailed, tales of bullying toxic work environment etc., all makes it high profile

• Advertisement

Has the man who Philip was with come out and said he was abused? If not, leave this the fook alone. Folks desperately searching for some criminal/depraved angle to all this. Gay man fancies younger man and has a sexual relationship with him. Am I missing anything? The rest is just OTT nonsense about cheating, telling a few lies.. absolute disgraceful badgering..

He is probably under a legal NDA.

You left out a lot in your misleading summation... such as how and when Schofield first met the younger man and how he came to be working at ITV, and no longer working there.

It wasnt some random younger man was it?

But you knew this already.

There is also the aspect of how much he knew about his brother abusing children.

So what crimes have been committed here? Older man fancies younger man and they have a consensual sexual relationship. What are we missing?

What is so bad that sees Schofield deserve this incessant coverage and ridiculing?

what has the when and how he met him got to do with the here and now? Did he or did he or commit a crime against another person?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭juno10353

What happened to the runner on Loose Women who was ousted and replaced with Philips "mate".

Do you have to commit a crime before you can be criticised? That seems to be your implication.

An absurd moral cop out.

It is not for me to judge if his acts were criminal. I would point out your post demonstrates ignorance of the crime of grooming which is entirely related to how and when contact is first made if one party is underage.

But imo they were wrong morally and professionally. ITVs reaction testifies to the latter.

He abused his position and took advantage of it to pursue this relationship. And took advantage of someone trying to make a career in the industry. The degree of consent in such relationships is open to question when such strings are attached.

Many cases of sexual harassment are established as per workplace tribunals rather than by criminal law. Does that make them a crime?

He lied to his employers. He contributed to a toxic workplace environment.

His conduct with his child abusing brother is highly dubious also.

Ok, so we’ve established he has commited no crime. Like I said, the rest is nothing more than an employment matter/issue.

glad you seem to get some enjoyment out of wall to wall badgering and criticism of a man who’s “crime” was to tell a few lies. The rest is all hearsay and subjective.

and grooming? You have proof of this, yes? Maybe its just your really hoping it true.. has the man come out to say that he was groomed? Has Philip been charged with grooming an underage child?

you’re no different than the rest of the people fuelling this fake outrage. Delighting in a person of power having such a public humiliation and fall; all based off basically him fancying someone,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

I think there will probably be an ongoing investigation into Grooming allegations is someone has contacted the UK police about this issue. At a minimum there will be an inquiry done by ITV or even the UK Gov via whatever department looks after broadcasters ofcom maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Mcgreevy should be around 26/27 years now... he's well adult now ...why in god's name isn't Schofield asking him to collaborate the story if truthful.. instead of saying he wants mcgreevy to walk away as Schofield thinks he has suffered enough already and then Schofield having suicidal thoughts himself instead...makes no sense as we already know his name and he being the consensual lover at that time according to phil...maybe Schofield was right to give mcgreevy the road from this morning.. he's no friend to Schofield it seems

Phil gave the interview to The Sun and BBC, he is keeping himself in the media too, I think trying to gain sympathy by using Caroline Flack, also there is many ITV colleagues and This Morning guests speaking out on Phil's rudeness, it is not just the affair keeping media interest, he was a mainstay king of daytime TV with a wholesome family persona, then the brave coming out gay man persona which all a ruse staged lies, if this was someone else you can bet Phil, This Morning and Loose Women would be giving their opinions full blast, today we had Alison crying for him, Holly's return on Monday should be interesting if she has a statement prepared

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Ok, so we’ve established he has commited no crime. Like I said, the rest is nothing more than an employment matter/issue.

Well, we've only one side of the story to go on so far............... There'll be an investigation regarding grooming etc. so time will tell if PS did anything illegal or not.

With all his statements and interviews I think Phillip needs to stop badgering us all. 😄

• Advertisement
Advertisement