Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Pumps - post here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I like this idea more and more. For disclosure - the elephant in the room with air to air heat pumps is of course they don't heat your water, you will have to use your COP 1 immersion. In my case I already have large solar thermal and solar PV systems to help out here, also my setup is smart so I could program to heat the water with night rate electricity or charge it up from my large home battery if I have excess

And a COP of 2.3 of these for heating is pretty decent. Obviously not anywhere near as good as air to water, but the total install cost of a couple of these units is only a fraction of an air to air heat pump, with minimal disruption

And in case this heat pump fails, there is no need for anxiety to find someone who can service / fix these. Just buy another one for €500 and plug it in yourself. And worry about warranty claims / repairs later. No maintenance on these units either, where an air to water heat pump needs regular servicing...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I reckon Andy here has hit the nail on the head regarding heat pump installation

It's all down to the design and there's plenty of cowboys

He got his heat loss calculations done independently and knew he'd need a 5kW heat pump, keep the existing pipes and increase the size of two radiators

He got quotes from installers (without telling them the heat loss results) for 12-15kW heat pumps and replacing all the radiators and pipework

No wonder people are having bad experiences if on many houses you can do an upgrade for a fraction of the costs they're paying and they're getting absolutely rubbish CoP as a result

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭JayBee66

I have wild ideas about using something similar to the £300 heat pump above as a heat input for Positive Input Ventilation then getting hold of Aereco's "mechanical" wall vents. When a room gets too humid the vent will open naturally and the PIV will push air out of the house rather than Aereco's wet room fans removing wet air and allowing cold air in through the vents.

As I thought of that there will undoubtedly be some sort of drawback preventing it from working properly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Just so everyone else is clear too, you need to vent both heating or cooling.

The "heat" has to come from or go to somewhere. That's why you see window adapters etc to dump the heat out of the house.

A split system is much better as it has one end outside and othe other end inside so no venting needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Dozz

Anyone recommend an Engineer etc that could do heat Loss Calculations in or around Kildare??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Can anyone recommend a company for air to water with underfloor heating and heat recovery in co mayo, who are also registered for SESI grants. Really struggling.

Muppet man

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Try Northern refrigeration services in Ballyshannon. They do Daikin heat pumps not sure on mhrv.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Just found that Daiken do a boiler that takes both gas and electricity (with outdoor heat pump unit) or a combination of both

This seems to me to be the best possible option, drop in replacement for my combi and the majority of the time will be run from the excess PV anyway.

And best of all no need for any tank or any of that mess, hot water on demand.

Did anyone here install something like this?

I suspect the air to water grant from the SEAI doesn't apply because it takes gas too?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Would have considered it if seen this 18 months ago. Highly doubt the grant is available for it, would like to be proven wrong on that one. Or even is there a usage profile for this in DEAP?

Could one for example replace the boiler with a heat pump to claim the grant, then just install one of these after the fact?

It's not like they rip the whole gas main out as part of the replacement, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Confused. Why have both? Heat pump has a COP multiplier to reduce the running cost. Gas boiler doesn't - though gas is cheaper per unit. More to break with 2 technologies in one unit.

Or leave the gas "disconnected" for the grant, similar for the PV inspection, if you leave one string unplugged then it is not part of the install (stupid but confirmed by the inspector)

I think the point is when really cold outside the HP is worse than gas (not sure if it reaches in Ireland) and it switches to that automatically or it can use gas/elec combined.

I'd be interested in the instant hot water without the tank mainly (if it can do it that is) since all HPs seem to require one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

It takes a silly amount of power to heat water on demand. And have any sort of flow.

Easy for a 20 odd kw gas boiler.. but if you want to do that with electric.. that's 20kw still. Hence the water tank, that you can do it slowly.

Or even simpler idea, get the heat pump with an external auxiliary heater, and keep the existing gas boiler

All 3 without the hassle of buying a very expensive proprietary gas boiler

You can control the boiler from the heat pump in bivalent mode. It looks like Daikin heat pumps can activate the heat pump based on outside temperature and the programmed prices of electricity and gas

I can't link the exact page, but if you search for bivalent it'll explain it

Seems like a good feature, so the heat pump will automatically figure out the cheapest heating source and use that

Yeah I wonder if DHW only applies to a tank connected, and instant HW is only from the gas which would make it a bit pointless for my use case. Trying to figure it out

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone any experience with carbonfreeheat.ie? They seem to offer a fitted 17kW heat pump for 11k eur. Is that good? Have a functioning oil boiler but I'd like to move to electric heating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They seem a bit light on the technical details, did you find a spec sheet for the unit?

They are selling the unit for 5.8k so 11k installed would be a lot. Or is there a DHW tank etc. also with the installed price for 11k.

You'd want that 17kwh hp to be able to do cooling in summer too for that price.

Do you need 17kW? Seems like a lot, mine heats 140 square meters of A2 rated house with only 6kW of output

There's no advantage to hugely oversizing the heat pump and there's a lot of disadvantages because it'll be cycling the compressor more often

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'd say his house is a lot bigger than yours and nowhere near A2 rated ☺️

• Advertisement

Aye true enough, but I've seen plenty of examples of installers oversizing heat pumps because they're used to installing a 40kW boiler

With heat pumps it seems better to air on the size of the bare minimum to cover your needs and avoid cycling the pump which destroys your COP

I didnt but I was just googling heat pumps ireland and this was the first one.

I've no idea of what a square meter is but we have a 6 bed house, which has been split into main house and 2 offices, BER (which is BS anyway) is B2 after putting in solar PV and the walls pumped.

Ideally it would but that's an A2A HP in order to do cooling and I'm looking at A2W in order to do DHW. I am considering A2A but it seems more expensive and a less well integrated solution. I would like AC in summer though

You can cool with an A2W, I'm currently doing it through the warmer weather.

But using UFH which is a good option for this, I think others with radiators need fan assisted versions for this.

yes my house was built 30 plus years ago so UFH would be cost prohibitive. I think I'd need A2A to cool here. I wouldnt mind an AC unit that could do cooling in specific rooms and then a main A2W system, just scoping it out at the moment to be honest. Oil for heating is probably my last essential spend on fossil fuels so would be nice to get away from that. I do have some classic cars that are ICE obviouslt but they arent essential.

With UFH it works fine but I have heard not great with rads.

I think you could use an A2W as you describe for heating and DHW. But also add some fan coils to the same HP for cooling when needed in a smaller number of rooms.

At least it would just be one heatpump for the entire house.

Heatgeeks made a video to try get a standard radiator to cool a room. Result was crap – didn’t drop temp at all from what I recall. Idea was that you’ve a surface area (rad) cooler than the surrounding area (room) and would that reduce the room temp. Created a load of moisture too which dropped onto the floor. Could lead to damp and people failing on wet floors. Basically they pumped cool water through the heating system somehow. They might have done something since to better that. Was a fairly low tech approach they took in the jacks in their office 😊

Gist seems to be there was no heat convection happening. As in hot air rises so travels up and around the room heating it. Cold air doesn’t do that, will sink to floor. So even if the rad did get cooler, that cool air didn’t then travel the room. Which is why aircon units are up high so cold air ‘flows’ down. 

Yeah I remember that one. The room with the radiator got a cold level of air about 1cm off the ground

UFH might be better at stopping heat from solar gains, sun shining onto an actively cooled floor means it won't heat up and the room stays cool

I think fan assisted is probably the way to go for bedrooms, swap out the conventional rads and keep cold air flowing through the day and evening

I think what may end up happening (for me anyway) as its the best mix of cost and functionality. A2W installed for the house with a few zones, then individual AC cooling units in the problematic rooms. It's really just my office and the main living area. I could get 2 A2A smaller units and then a main A2W heater. When we need the cooling, solar PV is producing in excess so I dont really care about the draw etc. I reckon 1kW draw should easily cover 2 small AC a2a units in the summer.

+1 for me too. Will likely be a mix for us. It won't suit everyone to have 2 systems. But I'm grand with that.

• Advertisement

Called a crowd to get me prices for A2A and it seems there will be unsightly trunking all over the exterior walls with the split systems.

You also sometimes need small pumps (hidden under trunking) to assist with the condensate flowing if you have a weird run.

And cost is 1500 + vat per room (would you even get the 3.5k from the SEAI for A2A HP?)

I'd need 6 of them to do the house proper, he even said a lot of people put less units, like 1 upstairs and 1 downstairs and it's useless in the end since the farthest room will never cool/heat properly.

Advertisement