Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competency interviews

• 17-05-2023 9:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Mytimetoshine22

I recently went for a prelim interview in a local authority for a staff officer .i have huge experience i had good experience and i feel there was lots of positives in the interview but i slipped up on two parts of one competencies could i still pass ?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

You need to surpass the minimum score for all competencies, so even if you aced all the others but failed on one, you won't make the grade.

It's a stupid, overly restrictive system that doesn't seem to work for anyone. My sister is a head of function in the PS and HATES the competency process. In her words, it doesn't necessarily get you the best person for the job, just the best person at competency interviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 Mytimetoshine22

Thanks its very true

Ill just have to wait and see i really wanted it which makes it harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just chalk it down to experience.

If there are roles your not particularly interested in, but you are qualified for you can apply anyway and treat the interviews as practice. It's just a skill you need to pick up

I got the results of the interview i got tbrough and did a lot better than I thought .

So on to round 2 interview in 12 days but feel so much happier and confident going in to round 2 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,257 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Any employer who needs more than one interview isn't worth bothering with.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

• I’ve heard of people doing up to 6 rounds of interviews, which seems like a process just to keep recruiters/HR folk in a job themselves.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So you are limiting yourself then, not them....

Hey igot through the prelims but went down I n the final interviews.

Pretty disappointed but. I'll keep going for them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Make sure you get feedback in terms of where you fell short, address the issue and go again.

Thanks for this I've actually got a secondment to the Civil service as Irish Language Officer for 2 years but I'm hoping to get the permanent Eo with Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭taratee

Good luck finding work in some sectors with that. I work in tech and every organisation conducts multiple rounds. Three rounds appears to be the norm these days. Some firms, like the US tech firms, will have more than that.

Advertisement