Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy infrastructure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Dont Be at It

I don't disagree with you per se, but you have to remember that when it comes to infrastructure (and everything really) Ireland is a really expensive country. We see this with the cost of housing, relative to UK and Europe, and also big projects like the children's hospital. So offshore wind is never, imo, going to be as cheap here as on the continent.

Part of the problem I think, is that there aren't many players in a lot of industries (banks and large construction companies, for example) so the competition isn't there to drive costs down. You don't see this in other European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Something of a theme this week - Orsted are pairing up with ESBGroup, effectively replacing Equinor who previously withdrew.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I suggest you look up power prices here compared to France....

Earns us money?? Can you share with us evidence of this given the disparity between power prices here and France. The reality is we have to dump wind energy on the French grid during windy periods and import nuclear at times when power is most needed here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

On the face of it, this seems to be more directed at nuclear energy "enthusiasts" than anyone else. But it ropes in cranks about climate change etc as though this is either accurate or relevant to this conversation. There are several generalisations which are lacking in substance. There's plenty of flaws when advocating for nuclear power in Ireland and I'd say none of those are visible here.

Nuclear IMO shouldn't form part of the picture if we are looking for 80+% renewable generation, without some clear and present evidence for the economic, technical and political advantages it would offer over wind and storage capabilities. We are uniquely disadvantaged in this respect between logistics and domestic capabilities. hydrogen offers the flexibility in logistics, generation and cost-effectiveness that scales well for Ireland and I hope this is the direction we move in.

That's all she wrote for peat briquette production in Ireland.

With a carbon tax of nearly 90 eur a tonne and increasing annually, the days of briquette use look to be drawing to a close

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Would you care to share what the costs of hydrogen storage, generation and transport are and how those make it cost effective? It just rolls of your tongue as if these are well known when it's actually a black hole that no one has a clue about because no country on the planet has attempted or done it. Both the UK and France have retreated from the idea of hydrogen as a large scale energy storage medium due likely to the chemical engineers finally being asked what they think instead of basing policy on the ignorant prognostications of dreamers.

I used to be very positive about hydrogen and I was a big fan of the idea. It all seemed so nice - clean - you burn it and all you get is water; instead the reality is you get so much NOX you might as well be burning diesel. And no Petunia, water injection won't solve anything because that lowers the temperature, robs you of efficency and makes the whole thing even less economic and efficient.

The reason my views changed on hydrogen is that I noticed that the biggest critics and doubters of the hydrogen economy were chemical engineers. First it was one in the US who was a professor in the topic and there have been several since.

Has anyone here, besides me, actually made hydrogen and filled a balloon with it to then watch it soar into the air? In my teens, I got some expired carbon batteries, which used to be very common, and disassembled them to get their casings, which under the cardboard or steel ones were made of zinc. I then got some hydrocloric acid and put it in a laboratory flask with a narrow neck and then stretched the mouth of a balloon over the top of the flask neck.

Simple, right. No, this is where i learned hydrogen is never simple. First the balloon popped off the neck as the pressure built, then I singed myself on the flask because it got really hot. So starting from scratch with a water bath for the flask, more zinc, more HCL another balloon and some elastic bands to tie the neck of the ballon on, and hey presto ... well it took longer than I hoped and I had to pinch the balloon shut, get it offf the neck to add more zinc and HCL and then get the ballon back on without loosing too much of the hydrogen... But in the end I bloody did it and the ballon had just enough hydrogen to counter it's weight and add a touch of buoyancy and I tied it's neck and then let it go to marvel at my achievement.

A metre, one sodding meter it rose and then POP, because along with the bubbles of hydrogen, the roiling mixture produced tiny droplets of HCL as the hydrogen bubbles burst and this HCL vapour wafted up into the ballon along with the hydrogen and attacked the rubber of the ballon.

Why this long boring verbiage? Because it gave me the insight to believe what the chemical engineers are on about - simple in theory but the details and complications are many, are unforseen and are not simple or cheap to overcome.

The ESB hydrogen based economy plan has so many problems attached it's hard to know where to begin. The world doesn't have enough electrolyser production capcity, there isn't enough production of platinum group metals to make the electrolysers, and electrolysers need ultra pure water which can only be made at great expense with more costly equipment and energy.

The simple idea of vast solar arrays in deserts producing enormous quantites of cheap electricity which is then used to produce hydrogen is a shiny beautiful idea that in reality is a turd. Deserts don't usually have abundant quantities of water and if they have any in aquifers, like Australias incredibly precious and not to be wasted, Great Artesian Basin, then it's not pure enough.

Even the water in clean flowing Irish rivers and lakes is far too dirty to be used neat. And as if that weren't problem enough, electrolysers can't be operated intermittently. That's right, this profoundly simple idea of make lots of hydrogen when there's lots of wind and excess power, is a nonsense, because you can't stop-start electrolysers without them soon deteriorating, and because of the platinum group metals, they aren't cheap enough you can afford to break them.

And this is the hydrogen economy - a whole bunch of simplistic ideas that are in reality just a near unending series of big problems that are innefficient and costly to overcome.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ah , but you could buffer the electricity supply through batteries - really expensive batteries, plus you want to the hydrogen as power storage , and now you have to use storage to make storage ..

Then transportation.. and the levels of compression to transport the hydrogen. There are going to be leaks its the nature of hydrogen..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I think MIT costed batteries and extrapolated their future costs. The answer was they will never be cheap enough.

• Advertisement

Thank god for that, we're saved.

China approved the construction of another 106 gigawatts of coal-fired power capacity last year, four times higher than a year earlier and the highest since 2015, research shows.

Over the year, 50GW of coal power capacity went into construction across the country – up by more than half compared with the previous year – driven by energy security considerations, the Centre for Research on Energy and Clean Air (CREA) and Global Energy Monitor (GEM) said on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I suggest you get a flight to Orkney- it seems they are already doing what you say is impossible.

Grid capacity constraints in Orkney mean that renewable energy created here is often lost or wasted. Now, new projects involving the production of hydrogen could be the answer to the capacity issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is there any possibility of geothermal energy in Ireland? Is it possible, and could it be economic?

Surely, drill down far enough, pump in cold water, and extract very hot water, and feed it to a generator. Simple.

Are there risks as there would be with a nuclear reactor?

No need, i'll just use the internet, thanks.

The EMEC centre has the capacity store 500 Kg of hydrogen: https://www.emec.org.uk/facilities/

That translates to 13.8 Mwh. Orkney has a population of 22,400, so if that facility was actually configured as the backup for when the wind stops blowing, which it isn't, everyone gets 616 Wh to play with.

You haven't quite managed to convince me that Orkney is an example of a wholly renewables and hydrogen based economy.

My understanding is that the cost is too high vs the depth to which you have to drill to. Iceland and NZ both have commercial geothermal energy generation, the fact they both have a generous sprinkling of active volcanoes and earthquakes probably isn't a coincidence. Geothermal energy actually comes from a source i'm not allowed to mention.

Sabine Hossenfelder has absolutely knocked it out of the park with this oustanding encylopedic summation of geothermal energy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you remove nuclear output it's very clear that French exports (gray) come from their other source, hydro, renewables and fossil fuel (above the white line). So we just need to be cheaper than those sources.

https://www.rte-france.com/en/eco2mix/power-generation-energy-source# - there's the link, untick nuclear and show us when France ever dipped into it's nuclear baseload for sustained exports. (also I'd assume capital costs on plants built 30-40 years ago don't show up on the bills)

Also the exports only look this good now because it's warm.

In Winter France is a nett importer of electricity. https://www.rte-france.com/en/eco2mix/cross-border-electricity-trading#

Sending wind to France allows it to be re-exported to Spain, Germany-Belgium, Italy, Switzerland and the UK. And being further north and west than most of those countries could allow us to export solar during the longer days.

I'm sick of pointing out that even at a 40% efficiency (80% hydrolyser and 60% CCGT) the cost of producing electricity from hydrogen produced from electricity at the UK's current offshore wind strike price is almost exactly the same price as the UK's current nuclear strike price. And you'd never need to pay that price when there's wind or solar output as they'd be 1/3rd the price of nuclear.

Look at the costs for the UK's Rough storage facility, or the Netherland's Bergermeer gas storage facility. Also hydrolyser factories with a gigawatt output per year only cost about £30m to build.

The solutions to NOX include pre-burning , scrubbing, dilution with steam , using the oxygen liberated from hydrogen production.

If you've ever seen a cooling tower beside a power plant you'll understand that most of the water produced from burning hydrogen can be re-used. Topping up can be done using Mechanical Vapour Compression to recover 99% of the thermal heat used in distillation, though ultrafiltration is probably still cheaper unless you remember that there's a lot of heat coming out of gas turbines.

The Norwegians have over a hundred years experience in large scale hydrogen production, and even longer in recovering NOX.

Please provide links to the UK and France rolling back on hydrogen, especially in light of the UK's 30TWh usage of the stuff and domestic trials.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

ok great so now it is not about the technology, now just about the scale.

It took 50+ years to put in place the oil economy infrastructure but now because it is not here right now, forget it. We are only 5 years in - there is a long way to go.

A bit like those agri grass biodigestors - just another version of the biofuel scam with added methane leakage!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

“Please provide links to the UK and France rolling back on hydrogen, especially in light of the UK's 30TWh usage of the stuff and domestic trials.”

I can’t speak for France, but I literally listened to the podcast yesterday, Redefining Energy, where they interviewed the head of the UK national grid (An Irish man, former head of EirGrid) and he said the UK are going all in on offshore wind + hydrogen.

Between this interview and the excellent video linked a few pages ago of the lady from ESB, it seems the experts in Ireland and UK are convinced that offshore wind + green hydrogen are our future and are very much doable.

I’m more convinced then ever that we are on the right path, that is very much doable and we just need to get on with it.

• Advertisement

Theres some use in the bio-digesters -

But its limited , it's main efficiency is if a large portion of its feedstock is waste product .. but thats messy , difficult to collect prepare/unpack and pretty limited availability,

Mixing food waste, with animal wastes/slurry and chucking in maize and grass silage does work , but its not free energy and its a drop in the ocean ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Fixed offshore wind is a rapidly maturing industry , obviously its in a major boom time so its costs are probably at the top of the curve ..

The planning and delivery system should be as smooth as possible , while being cognisant of other water users , and environmental impacts -

i dont think our state is charging a royalty for offshore wind , or a rent for offshore space ,

i dont have a problem with that royalty being set at zero for the 10 or 15 year life of current schemes ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭millb

Chap here explains he has 1 more year to put in a new offshore well and extend the lifetime of the Corrib Nat Gas infrastructure which is ramping down.

If this was done - we wouldn't need LNG or major Nat Gas storage over the next couple of decades and it could support the 6 "emergency" thermal power plants the country needs for the next 5 to 10 years. (Assuming they can get offshore wind E / S and W by 2033 which is a big ask ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Sssshhhhhhh your not allowed mention expanding our own gas resources or the green accounts throw a Hissy fit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Errr... I've no idea what "green accounts" mean, I'm certain most people here care about the environment and want to see our impact on it reduced!

I think you would find the sensible and logical folks would realise that gas will continue to be a necessary evil for the next twenty years or so to support renewables. They would know that piped gas from our own resources is far less polluting then shipping LNG half way across the world (plus liquefaction of gas uses lots of energy too).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,345 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Indeed. So why don’t we look at barryroe or extending corrib?

Barryroe Resources had little interest in the gas pocket. They were after the oil. The gas find was barely enough to be commercially viable if hooking into the Kinsale pipeline. Now Kinsale infrastructure is no longer an option, the gas at Barryroe will never be extracted

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

I dont have a problem with ireland producing gas , we're using it after all , and will be for a long period of time ,

I think we could do with gas storage , 1 for security , and 2 economics , any gas produced excess to requirement in summer can be stored for peak use ..

Theres also a limit to irish gas production at the moment, the Irish market .. we have no export facilities..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement