Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

My own take (with only a modicum of "knowing someone in the set-up" insight) would be -

Soper is a tremendous skills coach - he hasn't done it as assistant coach. I read folk on this thread not long ago writing about how we needed to get our forwards upskilled so that they could play the same sort of way as Leinster/Connacht. Short, short memories. Much of last season (21-22), and certainly the season before (20-21), we had brilliantly skilled forwards. We've never had crunching behemoths but we had accuracy and speed. Tip-on passes, great, incisive lines, offload-offload-offload. Done at pace. Part of the frustration of this season has been how that has dwindled. Our attack generally has been markedly less impressive this season - whether that is merely us going into our shell as a result of our slump, or whether it's simply the fading influence of Soper's skills work as time goes on, I don't know. But we need to get back there, and imho, need a freshening up amongst the coaching team.

Would we have been better if Payne had become assistant/attack coach? Maybe. Would Soper have been happy to stay on had Payne got it? Who knows.

Bell was a massive step down from Payne - at times our defence looked desperate. Although I thought our one-on-one tackling and organisation improved towards the end of the season - I'm not quite as despondent on that front as I was in January or thereabouts.

The IRFU forbade Toomaga-Allen from staying, and have forbidden Dan/Bryn from bringing in a better NIE flyhalf than Burns. No-one is under the illusion that he is good enough to win Europe with, but we aren't allowed to shop around. And in fairness, equally, his hands were on the reins in the games where we did play very well over the last few years.

There's a number of places where we're thinner next season than we were this. Lyttle is absolutely a loss. We are already at Defcon 4 for next season at tighthead, and a ball has not yet been kicked in anger.

We need on-field leaders. Crotchety, demanding, inspiring leaders. We lost to Connacht because we gave away 18 penalties (the most in any game we've played since 2011) - an on-field general would have pulled the fellas in and straightened them out. But no-one, not Burns, not Vermeulen, not Jordi Murphy, not Herring got us to adapt. Will Kitshoff or even Ewers improve matters? I'm sceptical. But if one of them did, it would go a long way to getting us back on track again, I reckon. I think the single biggest presence we could have benefited from, from these last fifteen years, was Johann Muller.

Anything else? Addison is apparently ready to hit the ground running (if that doesn’t break his leg) at the start of pre-season. Reffell will be like a new signing and, let’s not forget, will be 23 at the start of next season – over a year younger than Marcus Rea. Between Sean, and McCann really starting to kick on at the end of last season, hopefully there’ll be a young backrow coming together. Need another ground-hog, though.

Madigan still appears to be on the books. Or maybe not. Would love to see Curtis get some time at ten.

I know we’re all panicked about TH in October, but if there’s an yet another injury to Ronan Kelleher and Stewart plays in the World Cup, we’ve John Andrew and James McCormick. Potential baptism of fire for the young lad.

For now, attention turns to Ireland! Allez les verts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think we haven’t had the talent in the pack in years now and that hasn’t changed. Crothers, McNabney, McLoughlin, Wilson and McCormick looked great I thought underage and we really need them to come through. We need Izuchukwu to develop as well. We just can’t miss on many of these guys.

French is someone who has it physically in the loose so i like that signing but as a developmental guy. I worry about him in the shorter term.

Our style of play has to change. Most of what i would consider to be our elite talent is in the backs. That needs to be the focus. I’d like to look at Glasgow honestly and how they play for inspiration.

Glasgow scored more maul tries than any other team in the URC this season (13).

Looks like we're already aping them.

Yea, but their phase play attack would suit us way more than off 9, off 9, off 9. So maybe, ape them more?

Our phase play has been a shambles this season, agreed.

The question is, do we need new coaching staff to get that, though.

• Advertisement

Just a new attack coach i think. Look at Munster and look at how aggressive and detailed they are now at the breakdown. We could get there in one year with the right hire. We would probably look crap at first but a change of direction is needed .

Agree 100%. I don't think Munster have better players overall, but the quality of their coaching has shot through the roof. A really good attack coach and we'd be right back in the mix.

I think its close although i do like their young talent more and have done for a while, albeit stewart might be the best player of that group.

if everyone was in the same camp and got to play together and learn the system, i think a combined team would end up looking like…

1. Kitshoff (back up Loughman)
    2. Stewart (Herring)
    3. O Toole (Salanoa.. both high upside)
    4. Henderson (Ahern)
    5. Snyman (kleyn)
    6. Beirne (Ewers)
    7. POM (Hodnett)
    8. Coombes (Kendellan)
    9. Murray (Casey)
    10. Crowley (Carbery)
    11. Stockdale (Daly)
    12. McCloskey (Frisch)
    13. Hume (Nankivell)
    14. Balacoune (Nash)
    15. Lowry (Haley)

Just my opinion so, that’s 9 starters for ulster. But 13 back ups for munster. And if i was going down to the third layer I think i’d also hit a lot of munster players. They also ha e guys like Edogbo who I just love and could easily have a massive season and push onto this list. I also think gleeson and Quinn quickly get into the mix. We do have Sheridan, Postlethwaite and Izzy who also have huge upside.

This is strictly my opinion on how good i think guys are beyond coaching environments. I also prob missed someone really obvious.

I would have a very similar take, actually, although if he is back as he was I'd have Addison followed by Lowry at FB, and Hodnett I would not rate higher than Timoney. I'd have Treadwell ahead of Kleyn as well. And some other quibbles - but I think we're agreed that it's the coaching. And possibly the OH position - that might be a player quality issue. Would Munster have done what they've done with Carbery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

They should announce it then. What are they waiting for? I know the players are away sunning themselves but the admin folks are probably beavering away like the rest of us. Or maybe they're waiting for Hendy to come back from whereever he is so they can do all the promo stuff.

Keeping Henderson is important, not because he plays a lot, he really doesn't, but because he is the captain and probably our best known player. Losing him would have sent out a terrible signal.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It doesn't sound like my info was accurate. Yet to sign according to Petrie.

Wouldn't be surprised if his injury record and age has seen the IRFU low ball him, with the lure of the WC as leverage. His importance to team Ireland has taken a bit of a hit the past 12 months.

I wouldn't be surprised if he starts to feature for Ireland less and less, which might mean that he lines out at Ravenhill a bit more.

Sounds crazy but if a guy isn’t on a central deal, i’d almost rather they played more for us and ireland was on the backburner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Shehal

One of the big differences is with Munster, especially against Stormers & Glasgow in the KO stage, is you just always get the feeling that whether it be hook or by crook they will find a way to win. I never get that feeling with Ulster and if anything you feel they will find a way to lose. Yes sure Ulster have won games at the death but alot of the time it seems to be by accident rather than design.

I think that in both their wins, that’s an example of executing what they were training all year. They tried to play a ball possession game and in the end that allowed them to work a drop goal and a try. I don’t see why we couldn’t do that. We probably need a different 10.

While not disagreeing on Ulster, that point about Munster is pure marketing fluff, in my humble opinion.

I didn't think they'd do it by hook or by crook last season when they came up to Ravenhill and were made to look p1sh-poor, or even when we beat them in Europe way back when in Thomond. They've had a remarkable, enviable resurgence this season, but they've spent years decidedly not getting it done by hook or by crook.

Wasn't Addison club captain? I wonder if his leadership might make a bit of a difference next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I'm surprised he wasn't released. His injury profile is awful.

Is it? I never said previous years (they consistently weren't getting it done in previous seasons I agree) but this season and in particularly the last month or 2 they've shown signs that they can.

• Advertisement

Yes Ulster absolutely need a new 10, for all the players they either bring in or are rumoured to be bringing I always find it a mystery how they don't mention the need for a new 10. The likes of BB and IM are just not good enough for a club that has aspirations of winning trophies.

I think it's something that's been said about Munster for years, and has been decidedly wide of the mark. If you're talking about the last two months, then fair enough. It just didn't sound you were comparing Munster to Ulster solely of the last two months, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Let's be honest here. Munster have been coached brilliantly and turned the season around in remarkable fashion. Dan McFarland has failed to get the best out of Ulster when it really matters.

Also Munster have best supporter base in Europe and as mentioned much better OHs than Ulster.

Yep. After years of mediocrity, Munster have had a brilliant last few months. They really landed on their feet when it turned out they had a great head coach in waiting when their under-acheivng head coach - who they had recently given an extension to -abandoned them.

Another aspect in relation to Munster is the quality of players coming through the academy. Especially the forwards. Kendellen and Hodnett are both fantastic players. They both will probably be Ireland internationals. McAnn is the only Ulster back row that's come through recently and he's not as good.

Munster have serious prospects coming through in Quinn and Edogbo. Ulster seem to struggle with producing forwards. That said, I reckon Wilson will be a good player. Sheridan should be good and McNabney looks a find.

Why do we not produce out halfs?

Lowry was the last one and he has become a FB, before that it was Paddy Jackson and we don't need to discuss what happened there, but he came into the team 11 years ago.

Are there any 10s in the Academy at all? We're always focusing on how we don't produce many forwards, but the same applies to 10s.

Hooker and wing seem to be our gift to the world, and even then there is always someone better from down south (or NZ or Australia in the case of wing)...

It's strange that. James Humphreys is in the academy. I don't know how he's doing. Then there's Madigan and Flannery who rarely play?

There's always decent to very good backs. One is retiring at 26 years old.

Petrie isn't really doing much better than the last administrators. I don't see the Vermuellen signing as a win. An aged 8 with a ton of miles under the belt and probably on a good salary. Also Carter, certainly not much quality regardless of being an Oz international.

Would Conor Fitz be a better option than Madigan? Or Flannery? He'd be fairly cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Vermuelen was a great signing at short notice given what happened with Coetzee. His defence and lineout work were essential and always came up with turnovers at crucial moments. Carried better than just about anyone else in our pack despite his age.

we would’ve lost more games without him, so it’s hard to frame him as anything other than a good signing. Who else could we have gotten that was available?

Ive never been that impressed by Conor Fitzgerald.

But the point is why do we need to rely on a 4th choice out half from another province (Flannery) or a reject from Munster (French)?! Why aren't we producing players ourselves. We've been talking about this for 20 years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

We do produce players, they get in to the academy but never get out, never get games and wither away.

Advertisement