Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

No I couldn't care less , but I'm still allowed think that interview was a crock of shite. Or do I need to just have your view on everything? Let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,714 ✭✭✭✭walshb

As I thought. What actually happened means nothing to you. Same for me. Where we differ is I think the scrutiny and lambasting in the media and online towards this man and this situation is disgusting. You don’t. You think it’s warranted?

you also seem to be downplaying and minimising the effects this could be having on Schofield.

The reaction is exactly what I'd have expected and more importantly what he would have expected. Play stupid games , win stupid prizes.

So it’s not at all OTT. Playing stupid games deserves this for Schofield?

as a human, would you have any sympathy-compassion for him feeling very overwhelmed with all the negativity he is having to endure now?

or would you revert back to “he played stupid games so he deserves now to endure/suffer?”

What do you mean deserves this??? What do you think is happening to him? I think your blowing it a bit out of proportion. And I think your underplaying what we know. Because he "fancied a man", I don't think you are posting in good faith. He had an affair with a 19/20 yr old that he knew through work since the age of 15. All the while pontificating every day about other people. Not sure what he expected. And now he's trying to save it with a birra acting in interviews.

• Advertisement

Eh, are you playing stupid now? What’s happening to him? He’s been written about and discussed and lambasted day in day out.

While I think his actions MAY have cost his job were it with a 20yo woman, there's no way there would be this level of frenzy would be occurring.

This level is definitely because he's gay and hid that fact for so long (and had a family)

Don't see DiCaprio being "cancelled" for pump and dump of many young women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But coming out as gay a few years ago helped him enormously.

All this talk about how brave he was , and how he became such a gay icon etc etc.

Can't have it both ways Phil.

Yeah, like there's no one in the long grass.

You know damn well that this is only as salacious because he's gay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

His coming out on this morning in 2020 gave the impression maybe purposely that he had gay tendencies but surpressed them ,not acting on them all his life up to that date...in hindsight should he told all then...he was snookered both ways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Actually it is in issue. I'm stupefied at how idiotic his utterances have been, but he should be allowed buy a couple of litres of milk without fear.

I'd say the brother stuff is adding to the story tbh.

The brother stuff is a non sequitur in this instance.

And I kinda agree with the gay stuff being the hill, not because of homosexuality, just how it was done. IMHO, pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I don’t particularly like Philip, but that interview made me very uncomfortable. It clearly is a person on the edge. The fact that he even did the interview in the first place, shows that he’s not in a good place mentally.

Definitely media stirring the pot here, there’s an article on him every 5 minutes with thousands of comments with everyone throwing in their 5c worth.

there have been murderers getting less hate.

its time to stop now.

Post edited by anewme on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Caroline Flack's mother is speaking up for Philip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

He's definitly a man in turmoil and is struggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Where can the full interview be watched?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Agreed. It’s a genuine cry for help. The incessant coverage needs to stop. He’s a human being, after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

So why has he lost his career?

1. He went against his employment contract
    2. He lied to his wife to his children to his Co host who supported him coming out, to his employer -he also kept very significant information from the public that would have impacted their view of him, and hence his employment standing in the entertainment industry - however
    3. He had a “relationship” (I placed that in brackets because according to Philip it was a series of encounters and not a relationship) with a person much younger than him, and in circumstances that many people view as inappropriate - considering how the lack of clear facts led many to assume it as child abuse or grooming at the very least, just shows how close to the wind he sailed.

The general public like their daytime tv hero’s to be squeaky clean or if they are going to stray into the world of doing the dirt on their partner, that they at least have the cop on to choose someone more appropriate than a youngster- whether legal or otherwise

I don’t share your view around the whole comments piece- this is part and parcel of being in the public eye- I don’t know if the sentiment is overall positive, negative or misinformed but I’d bet it’s a combination of all 3, and probably equal weighting for each given the comments on this thread alone are anything to go by.

The comments will fade in time, down to a trickle-and for someone like Philip that’s worse than being talked about negatively - it means the public have moved on and forgotten you

I don’t believe that interview was genuine and from the heart- there was a lot of deflection - there was a lot of “my life is in danger” etc etc Now is not the time to play the mental health card- you apologise again to all, you call yourself stupid and you remove yourself from the public eye for a number of months and see how public opinion of you goes. And if you’re hurting mentally, then get private help- we don’t need to know that.

I can’t help but think Philip wanted to endear himself to his “audience” and try and manipulate sentiment toward him- his career is over, and he has himself to blame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He could have a career as the face or anti face for vapping

Again the outrage isn't just over his affair with a young man or being gay, it's the lies, cover up, big coming out show, tells of toxic work environment, bullying, brother's trial, his knowledge of the brother's crimes etc.,

I would have expected the young fella or Phil's family to issue some statement or is tell all book deals in the pipeline

Ant was able to crash a car and hurt a 4 year old, while drunk, lie about his addiction and relapses, screw with ITVs biggest shows, and be welcomed back.

That flies against your first 2 points.

This is all about him being with someone younger and, IMHO, more importantly being gay.

Fake outrage you mean. Outside of his immediate family, who actually genuinely was hurt, or genuinely cares? Eamonn Holmes? Holly? Insincere fake ass sensationalized outrage is what all this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Are you forgetting the bits where he knew this person since they were 11, followed on twitter, got them a job, and just as they turned the age of consent asked them out. As far as I know DoCaprio did not do any if this.

Now it may have just happened they grew attracted to each other and the age difference when younger seems starker (will not call it sick like others) then so be it but ya his career is finished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

P, though he claims it to be a normal work place affair, doesn't make it so, this kid climbed the ladder of success on his knees, every door was opened that would not have been opened for anyone else, this is grooming, whether P thinks so or not. And it's hardly a one off, P was in the papers in 2021 for messaging a 17 year old boy, he needs to step up and own it, but don't claim it ain't so.

If that's the people he's attracted to then okay, it's not illegal if he wants to get it on with teen boys of legal age, but it's hardly going to be acceptable for a family morning show to have him as a presenter too, he can't have he's cake and eat it. If no laws were broken then he shouldn't be hounded to death, nor should he be the face of a family show, the world now knows he's into young guys, so maybe he now needs to hold his head high and own it, it maybe creepy, but it's his life.

His wedding ring was very prominent on the SUN video interview...his marriage is obviously kaput ...he doesn't look like a person that will be actively seeking same sex partners in the short term anyway whatever about in the future.... I'd say he'll die as a lonely,all alone old man especially when his mother does eventually pass away.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I dunno - a few things strike me:

1. A list American celebrities tend to get away with a hell of a lot more than UK magazine show hosts
    2. A list celebrities rarely get cancelled but more minor celebrities can and do- especially the ones that pontificate on shows like This morning
    3. A list celebrities tend not to have long term contracts with the same employer, making it harder for anything significant to happen to them- as long as the public opinion is positive they live to fight another day
    4. If DiCaprio was seen to “befriend” a girl aged 15 then have a relationship with her at 20, it would certainly raise more eyebrows than someone in their mid 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Wearing his wedding ring and shagging a fella young enough to be his grandson. What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,616 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If Dec or Ant's family were convicted of kiddie fiddling which he knew about he would have been annilated

AFAIR Ant admitted his wrong doings, sought help asap, owned up, again Ant did wrong, very wrong

Phil is clever, Holly is thrown under the bus by him as he said he messaged her apologising which she ignored and that they don't talk anymore so she will have to put out some sort of statement whether cutting all ties or giving support which he wants, gather sympathy

I've no issue with Phil having an affair or being gay but the fact he know the young fella from a minor age and helped get him on the show, did he do it for any other of that theatre group boys, his mate was arranging met ups, even Phil himself admitted how bad it looked

We now live in the age of social media, trial by public opinion as he is a celebrity, was the family man king of daytime tv then brave gay man king, he had been attracting negative press from his queue jumping and Harry and Meghan attacks also

If this was someone else you can bet Phil, This Morning and Loose Women would be having a field day covering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Schofield and the relationship with the runner was known about for a few years. ITV knew. The Sun knew. However the details of the relationship specifically was mostly contained to online only. In anonymous forums and gossip sites and thus could officially be dismissed as counterfactual i.e. if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle. It was an open secret as such. Unwise, not illegal and so long as it was all contained to gossip and rumour and the audience for This Morning who accepted his sexuality and gave him his privacy then it was all fine since the money kept rolling in. It would still have been an open secret but for what was happening with his brother. He is in jail now for 12 years. Phillip knew about his brothers unwise and illegal behaviour and went weeks/months without reporting it to authorities. It affected the show and relationships therein. Holly isn't stupid, likely played the tape forward, and distanced herself from Phil. This all leaked out and the tabloids (who all knew the open secret) smelled blood as they always do.

It all got to the point where the show itself was consistently on the front page (e.g. the Phil and Holly rift initially and then Phil leaving the show). When they did the daily paper review during this then it was consistently omitted. It all became insulting to people watching and the curiosity grew as to why there were rift rumours/why he left. The damn broke and the relationship with the runner became known about beyond the internet into the mainstream. It finally had to be addressed and now ITV and the show is under such scrutiny.

Bringing up Caroline Flack was a master stroke. When the first thing you say in the interview to Amol Rajan is that you are experiencing suicide ideation similar to someone who committed suicide then the interviewer will immediately be on the back foot and will become far more reluctant to ask difficult, probing, awkward and uncomfortable questions. Given the stated frame of mind in question then journalistic duties of care for the interviewee come into play. That the interviewee in question would also have abided by these standard then it makes me cynical. Now we see people in the media opining (inoculating themselves) that he should (rightly) be left alone and now, given the profile and reach of those defending him, people will inevitably back off and it was be old news in a week. Whatever the result of any investigations/commissions taking place here the goal of the BBC interview was to elicit sympathy and, regardless of my cynicism, it achieved that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why does someone else have to be hurt for other people to care about it? Absurd standard.

If someone is murdered or sexually assaulted or harassed, why would there have to be more than 1 person affected for other people to sincerely care about it?

So why here would that matter here? It doesn't.

But in this instance you are wrong also.

How do you think colleagues at ITV felt seeing someone preferred \ advanced because of a 'secret' relationship with Schofield?

It wasn't happy families there and this one aspect of the toxic culture there.

Schofield's actions were abuse of position and power.

So yes, people are allowing to form sincere opinions that that is not on, and that they wouldn't want it to happen in their workplace either.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Sorry, fake outrage.. mountain ouha molehill stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭firemansam4

I think this is different than just disgust over the age gap.

Their is a genuine question as to weather PS was actively grooming this young man from a much younger age? Maybe he wasn't, but with the facts known so far, it is reasonable people may have these suspicions.

How many people here would be happy if this was your son or daughter where a 60+ year old knew them from an early age helped them get a job, a person who would have been in a position of power over the boy/girl then suddenly declares there was a sexual relationship going on but only since the age of consent?

I certainly would not be saying well sure thats fine, 2 consenting adults and all that. I would be wanting to find out a lot more about what happened and if grooming was a factor, I dont think many parents would just accept a situation like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It’s amazing how many that are defending this are ignoring this major part.

I don’t imagine many of them have children?

I can’t imagine them being ok and passing off as both consenting adults, if their 60y/o next door neighbour who knew their child from a young age suddenly started having “encounters” with them as soon as they hit legal age ffs.

Or just a job.

In a workplace, if the star employee gets someone of that age hired, lies to HR, and then effectively fired once he has had his fun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Go on Google and type in “Schofield latest allegations”. I personally am NOT making any allegations.

But what I am saying is it looks awful for him.

It’s grim reading.

I understand why celebs, tv companies, former friends, former management agencies are running a mile.

Nobody is defending something that does not need defending. Older gay man is attracted to younger gay man. This is not something new.

Just because not everyone is as outraged by it doesn’t mean anyone is defending it.

Two consenting adults are attracted to each other and act on that attraction…

yes, one of them a lot older than the other. So what?!

wasn’t the man aged 19/20 when he and PS became intimate? Whatever before is irrelevant. Two consenting adults became intimate is all

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Beechwoodspark threadbanned

Yes you are.

I'm not googling and believing unsubstantiated rubbish.

You're a judge, jury and executioner? Well?

You continually and deliberately misrepresent what happened. It wasn't just two random guys over 18. It was someone Schofield had a direct role in hiring. He abused his position. He lied to his employer, colleagues and family.

You are defending this conduct by continually trying to turn a blind eye to it.

• Advertisement

Nothing shows up re: police investigation of Philip Schofield for me.

The only police angle that shows up relates to his brother's conviction for abusing a child.

What conduct? I have already said that this is nothing more than an employment matter.

You want to portray it as vile and nasty and criminal by the sounds of it. In other words, you want it to be seen as outrageous. I don’t see it as at all outrageous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Gay doesn’t come into it so I don’t know what that has to do with it.

you are just ignoring the blatantly obvious part, about knowing the fella since he was a child ffs.

What does that even mean, "nothing more than an employment matter" ???

Conduct can be outrageous and vile and nasty and still be within the realm of "an employment matter".

He abused his position for sexual advantage.

And people can sincerely, legitimately express criticism of such actions.

Time will tell re: criminal aspect. Conduct does not have to be criminal for is to be subject to public criticism.

Blatantly obvious? You seem to be wanting to look too hard. The man was 19/20 when he and PS became intimate. Case closed.

Agreed. But the level of scrutiny and criticism is ridiculously OTT.

It’s disturbing how much people are piling on pressure on this man so very publicly and so intensely.u

btw, how are you proving/measuring that he abused his position for sexual advantage? Is that just your opinion?

It is a factor of his public profile. He is piling on the pressure himself going out on interviews on BBC and The Sun.

He made a statement when he left ITV.

But then he keeps putting himself in the firing line, complaining about media attention while he actively seeks it and generates it.

So yes, while he keeps popping up, so will the scrutiny and criticism, because that's how people feel about his behaviour.

Feels mean nothing. Court of law is where its at. Mentioning the sun...amusing.

With all these incidents mcgreevy was involved with ,his outburst at NTA awards after party saying he loves Schofield , confronting Holly ,all over Schofield in that showreel video he made, people couldn't but notice as obviously he made his feelings known,not to sure it was Schofield fault if he didn't want a full on relationship with mcgreevy but mcgreevy it seems wanted a full on relationship with Schofield..maybe mcgreevy was a bunny boiler at the time like in the film 'fatal Attraction'.

It's speculation either way ... maybe McGreevy wanted a relationship \ thought they were in one based on Schofield's pretence.

Quite probably he is under an ITV hush money NDA so only the ITV investigation or the police can reveal more wrt his side of the story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement