Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship 2023 ( Munster And Leinster Championships,Liam McCarthy Cup)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

This business of shushing people to 'respect the kicker' cannot be let creep into hurling at any cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

No fear of that. A minute's silence is even too much for hurling people to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Tier 3,4 and 5 Hurling finals on tomorrow

1pm Monaghan V Lancashire

(Lory Meagher)

3pm Donegal V Wicklow

(Nickey Rackard)

5pm Derry V Meath

(Christy Ring)

Expected attendance only 5,000 for those 6 teams in Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

That Uibh Fhailli chant with pointed fingers in the air, the later part especially, just doesn't feel right in GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,943 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

"Some people just see Limerick. Can't help you there"

I was talking about you.

And as for kids I didn't say it was kids. I said it was not a bandwagon crowd and I say that because I know the crowd booing. The respect the kicker thing wasn't a rugby thing by the way but just a Limerick thing. Thankfully it has grown in Ireland in the pro era but it is certainly not a world wide rugby thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I've heard people shushing others IN THE PUB watching Irish rugby matches. Embarrassing.

Booing a free taker is still **** though

At least booing a badly awarded free could be seen as emotional.

It's the "you fat bstard" puck out chant last year that really boiled my blood (it's still around but not as much thankfully)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

From my recollection the most frequent poster about Kieran’s was none other than… you. You seemed to be triggered by them. If you think Kilkenny people engage in onanastic tremors about Kieran’s dominance of schools hurling, you’re not as well informed as you think you are. But why let reality get in the way of a narrative. All I’ll say is no one really cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

You know the thousands of supporters booing? Come on...

The kids point was in relation to the Munster League down in Cork.

Never said it was a world-wide thing. It's not a limerick thing either. Munster rugby is not a Limerick thing. But it is a Limerick thing to think it is. There's a couple of men on the La Rochelle coaching ticket that could tell you that. I wonder if Ben Healy was a Limerick man would he be let go? Definitely not! Anyway that's not for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

Should be three closely contested matches. I'll tip along as a neutral. A smaller crowd might even mean an Internet connection on the phone so that I can keep half an eye on the Epsom Derby, assuming the lunatic fringe protesters don't scupper it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

Booing the free taker a Limerick thing? Wow lads, clutching at straws now. Everyone is at it. Have a listen to the Clare fans when Gillane or Byrnes is over a free the next day...

I've never seen so many butthurt Tipp fans as I've seen the last few days. It's glorious seeing them be all riled about about everything Limerick related the last few days. I didn't realize that all the beatings and trophies won by Limerick had annoyed them so much. That's what happens when one of the teams outside of the big 3 starts to dominate.😅 I hope we beat Clare but by god is it fun to see some folks squirm at Limerick and Clare making their own arrangements and dominating Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Limerick are far from the worst for it. Its everywhere. no one county is any worse than the other

Calling fans bandwagoners is lazy. And it isnt what happens when you have people rolling in behind success. Ive been at plenty of hurling games where people making noise at opposition teams taking frees are making loads of noise and itsnot coming from people coming from other sports.

Bit silly and lazy to try blame it on people who also follow other sports.

dd

Never said it was Limerick thing. Said they've become the worst at it, in my experience. Perhaps, that's simply down to numbers but I've never heard so much of a crowd boo a free taker or ref. So, yeah, you read that wrong. Try to answer the what was written, not the one in your head. Otherwise, you're stuck in Plato's cave.

What a waste of a paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭eggy81

A nonsense statement. How can poorly supported teams be as bad as another county? Just on noise level alone that simply does not work. That said, the booing down on Lee side of the ref and free taker, while significant, was nowhere near as bad as in Thurles during the Limerick game. I only comment on it because it's simply got to a really bad level. Limerick have a huge support and it is a 16th man and they can roar the team on. No question. But I think they can do it without the booing. Nowhere have I said it's just Limerick that to it. I don't think it's just down to numbers either. Limerick have a chip on their shoulder and seem to think any criticism is related to their success or an attempt to take their success away. The problem of booing has been there before Limerick's success but it wasn't something I attached to Limerick until the last few years.

We all know there's a phenomenon of bandwagoners. A cohort of supporters who fall away after success stops. It's in every sport. It happens in every county and club. You only need to look at Offaly and the numbers at their senior games compared to their winning underage teams. A huge difference.

Breezy doesn't deny any of these issues. He can actually discuss it.

The quiet for the kicker thing was a Thomond Park thing. Pretty sure that stadium is only in Limerick.

People who go to the terrace for Limerick games all know where that heckling is coming from. I don't need to know what they all are for breakfast but I know who they are. And it ain't 1000s doing that "you fat bstard" chant.

I'm not blaming it on people who follow "other sports". They follow both sports and are GAA fans.

I'm certainly not trying to do that professional soccer thing of pretending the troublesome fans are "not real fans"

You see they were all geared up to boast and laugh about our demise but instead we took their Munster final spot and then robbed Thurles of a big pay day 😂

• Ah one or two of these Tipp lads are great for coming on here every 15 or so minutes with these long-winded worldly rants. Think they might be getting a bit overexercised on such things as match venued etc. Don't see how it really affects them.

I also find it a bit strange that some decide to announce team line-ups on this site despite teams having being announced to the world through standard (and recognised) social media channels. I guess the need to feel important and fill the voids of the day? 😌

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

"No one really cares"? Didn't stop you replying though.

I never said I wasn't the most frequent poster on the matter. Just the least delusional. Easy to be the most frequent poster on a topic when you have 4/5 who can think of only an occasional one-liner comeback and nobody else with the cojones to state what should be obvious.

It's not like there's one other poster with a cogent coherent alternative argument.........like being able to point out that St Kieran's don't pick from 20+ clubs and a few counties.

What was it the guy from Callan said when they beat St Kieran's years ago? Three parishes against three counties?

The abysmal record of the Kilkenny minors (as predicted by me for 2023 again last April - I probably need to bump up that post, must look later) proves my point year in year out. I look forward to being the most frequent poster on the same matter again next year when someone tries to pretend St Kieran's beating a Harty Cup winning team picking from 4/5 local parishes is an achievement. It's easy be a frequent and consistent poster on a topic when it's such an easy and obvious argument.

Thanks for keeping it going even in the middle of an All Ireland Senior championship thread. Time to involve Kilkenny too. They'll have the first round of the championship coming up in around month's time won't they? No harm either. That challenge match circuit must be tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya it was a Limerick and Munster Rugby thing as you put. It was actually very off-putting for the lad kicking the ball as his own supporters would be silent.

When the Champions cup started in Rugby the kicker from visiting team found it off-putting. There supporters would shout or roar at the Munster kicker but the silence when they kicked was worse

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

I don't know which team is the worst for booing an opposition freetaker these days but the first time I ever heard a set of fans boo/jeer the freetaker from the very first free (and it not due the a contentious decision) were Limerick fans in 2014.

You can clearly hear it here for the first Kilkenny free of the game https://youtu.be/fijgjzvh7QY?t=414. Not sure how long it had being going on at that stage since Kilkenny played Limerick fairly infrequently those days

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Freneys Treasure

Here's the first free to Limerick in that game https://youtu.be/b3l2cfygdi0?t=1862, I don't hear much booing or jeering there. Could you throw up a few example timestamps for us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I must ask the father were the Tipp fans deathly silent for Bennis' free in the 73 Munster final at this rate. We may need a historical enquiry as to when the booing/heckling of a place ball taker began in earnest and find the culprits responsible.

There was surely booing at the 1947 football final. You know what them Yanks are like.

It's going on since the 90s at least - that's when I first started going - it was usually a very small cohort of fans doing it after a contentious decision in a bitter rivalry. Booing. But, at that time, not so much booing, but between Clare, Tipp, Limerick, and Cork scandalous chanting from the terraces aimed at particular players rather than booing got very bad. Maybe, I'm wrong but I don't think that is as bad as it was - maybe all those interviews with players on how it affected them helped. Now, booing doesn't even take a bitter rivalry, it's just grown and grown. And there's been no serious campaign to tackle it. Maybe it's something that can't be regulated but there must be some attempt at least. A few ex-players going out on their own bat in interviews or tweets is not enough. Targeting specific moments in the game - like free taking - with a no booing advertising campaign - might go some way.

Limerick, Wexford, and Offaly in my time going to games are the crowds you'd be jealous of in terms of attendance and noise generated. That's why I've noticed it. Huge levels of support with a growing number of people engaging in it. It's just the noise levels of booing and the frequency of it I've never heard before. But I just don't understand how booing is now this huge part of the occasion. I think it's just a habit now. It doesn't really matter who does it, every support has an element doing it, just matters something is done about it. You'll never get it out of the game but the GAA can definitely reduce the levels of it with an awareness campaign of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Its a GAA wide thing. Happens with lots of counties nationwide. every county is as bad. Tipp have as much a chip on shoulder as anyone

You are using the word bandwagon as a bad thing. every fan is the same. there is no check going in the turnstiles checking what level of fan you are like whether you attend every game or only the biggest

Quiet for the kicker is far from a thomond park thing. happens in a lot of other rugby venues as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Jock_Ewing

It has.

Reminds me of the story of the two Offaly men driving up the Falls Road and when they saw a load of tricolours started chanting UIBH FHAILLI!

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure some counties do check what level of fan you are.

Maybe it was never actually implemented but there were definitely counties talking about awarding championship tickets based on points earned during the league like they have in English soccer.

Advertisement