Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I don't know why some folks still persist with this Dubs only for manager. The hurlers binned that long ago and it's probably time for the footballers to do likewise.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Colm O'Rourke - moving away from the obvious Meath connection. What has he achieved at inter-county level? When Dublin played Meath in the league, if I remember correctly there were puzzled analyst's wondering why O'Rourke set his players to go man on man. And Meath's tactics made it very easy for Dublin.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I agree especially when there is no stand out candidate. Many Dublin senior club managers are 'foreign managers' or untested at intercounty.

Personally I think an Ulster manager would sort this Dublin team out in a about a year. It wouldn't be pretty but it would be effective. And Dublin would win a lot more tight games against the top tier sides as they would be harder to beat. I always admired the tactics St Judes play getting the absolute max out of their players available and using Kevin Mc on the counter. No shame in it, tailoring a team to what is available to maximise chances of success.

Whoever gets the gig could have Jayo as Selector/Assistant or whatever you want to call it, with a view to him getting the hot seat afterwards. Westmeath had no qualms in getting Jayo on board, incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Kevin Moran: Codebreaker, on RTE tonight was absolutely fantastic. What a story

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Gael85

1.Tom Lahiff played as a third midfielder in that Derry league game.

2.Tactics were fine against Armagh until Costello and Aaron Byrne went off. Armagh got 2 lucky goals from a David Byrne mistake and Armagh going for point dropped into goal.

3.Agree with the media stuff. Jim Gavin was similar. Both give nothing away in interviews.

4.Dublin ran a David Hickey tournament in December which consisted of 4 Dublin regional teams. Probably 60-80 players looked at. We have struggled bringing young lads since transition from u21 to u20. Many of the best players in recent Dublin u20s struggling to stand out in club games.

• Advertisement

Rory Gallagher, Malachy O'Rourke and Banty mentioned as potential managers. All one dimensional with their game plans and not a hope will get Dublin job.

Hurlers wanted someone with a winning mentality at the highest level hence why going with outside manager. Footballers shouldn't have that problem when Dessie steps away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭billyhead

Where's Ciaran Archer? He was the up and coming u20 star.

Don't think he had the work rate for senior intercounty. A class free taker. Think picked up a suspension recently for altercation with a referee and will be missing club action for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its lazy to call O Rourke one dimensional, just because he is from the scary north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Colm O Rourke managing us Dubs? A 66 year old Meath grandad with one miserable years intercounty experience who is widely despised in the capital. Good call. Ha nice one gorm. Always good for a laugh 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭billyhead

What about Mickey Moran? He done a good job with Slaughneil.

Watched many a Monaghan game under his term. Applied the same tactics 15 bodies behind when losing by a couple points. Grand when you're winning but need to be altered when chasing a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I was thinking about this post, but the first four in that list are still near or at their prime. 30 isn’t over the hill.

Cluxton is actually fine, but I thought O Hanlon was doing a good job so that’s not a concern for me. Rock was only ever a free taker, so we do need a free taker.

Fitzsimons and McCarthy stick out as players on their last legs.

But Dublin have been on a downward spiral since their last AI. Not just a slow spiral, but a dramatic decline. It can’t all be blamed on Dessie but the performances I am seeing from his sides in the league have been awful.

You could copy and paste the Clare league game and Roscommon AI games. In both Dublin couldn’t have complained if they lost. In both the away teams felt they left a game behind.

Even the age of those players you mentioned doesn’t explain how poor Dublin are playing. It bodes bad for the future but it doesn’t explain the last 2 seasons. A lot of those players aren’t the same as they were under Gavin.

That happens for numerous reasons that’s not always the coaches fault but nothing Dessie has done has suggested otherwise. His defence basically is “well his team is getting older” but he still has the most experienced squad in the land. Perhaps the issue is that he can’t get the most out of the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Is there a team in the top 2 divisions that are worse than Dublin at 45’s.

Miss after miss after miss.

Rock was more than a freetaker on his prime. Scored 1-12 from play in AI. Would let Mannion take the 45s.

On lads in their 30s. Kilkenny and Fenton are both past their peak. Kilkenny has been involved on senior panel since 2012. Has played a lot of football in that time. Has slowed in last 12 months. Fenton not at same level as 2015-2020. McCaffrey and Mannion has very little football over last 2 years even at club level and prone to injuries. Would keep both as impact subs for the knock out football.

Dublin Football 2023 Championship & League Stats.

Dessie Farrell Championship/League Record as Dublin manager.

• Advertisement

Starting to be like that really dark day v Westmeath under Tommy Lyon's where Paddy Christie took the 45's - really desperation stuff.

I can't understand why Cluxton does not take 45's again? Surely it won't get him that long to get 'tuned in' again?

I was thinking this very thing. There was a moment in one game, think it was Louth or Kildare , where Dublin won a free and Cluxton started to go up, but then we took a quick free so he didn’t get to take it. Seems like a no Brainer.

The issue is still, how much of the form of players is a result of poor management and tactics versus exhausted or over the hill players. I think it’s a bit of a cop out to give Dessie a pass by default.

I guess unless Gavin came back into the fold we wouldn’t know for sure but the only Dessie defence appears to be “sure he has an aging squad”.

There’s nothing in games or over his tenure that people can say “well Dessie brings this positive thing to the team”. There’s no green shoots in games or tactics or elements of play to point to that would have you think he’s doing a solid job. And it’s not like Dublin are just struggling against the best teams.

Maybe he is unlucky or is inheriting a squad that was always going to decline, but I’ve never been convinced by him. You can single out qualities a manager brings to a team. I think of O Dwyer (Wicklow , Kildare , Laois) and O Se with Westmeath . Even look at Micky Harte with Louth. Top managers make existing squads stronger , I don’t Dessie makes Dublin stronger in any capacity and I don’t think any teams would be lining up to make him their coach if he departed from Dublin.

And the other practical thing is Cluxton going up for frees kills time takes the sting out of game, if under pressure.

Cluxton strolling up casually. to pop over the free in some auld match in September 2011:

Ref blew for a Dublin free: 70:51 minutes

Bernard Brogan calls up Cluxton: 70:58 minutes

Ref blows for Cluxton to take the free: 71:44 minutes

That is a nice 46 seconds used up by Cluxton walking, even prior to the kick itself.

Whether the ref adds it on properly or not does not matter it kills an opponents momentum. Incidentally the ref blew for full time on 72:12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Suppose we will have to wait till just before throw in to really know who is fit or not but after failing to beat the Rossies this is a big game we have to win if we want to top the group for maybe a better draw next round .Doesn't seem to be a big crowd travelling by the sounds of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Anyone "local" have any more of a back story to the Ciaran Archer ban and it being over turned? There had to be niggle between Archer and the ref during the game for him to try and get away with that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Here's the footage. Incredible to think he got a red card for this nevermind a proposed 96 week ban. The ref here should never be allowed on a pitch again.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Would anyone know if any pubs in Dublin show games on GAAGO?

Think was verbals exchanged between the two prior to incident. By all accounts the referee is fond of the limelight. Thankfully video evidence saved him.

• Advertisement

Cassidys or Devitts on Camden Street might show it.

Advertisement